Eustace to be Offered 2 Year Deal ?

MARK WARBURTON is ready to hand battle-hardened veteran John Eustace a two-year deal next week after insisting yesterday the 35-year-old would be a ‘great leader for us’.

The Rangers boss has assessed the former Watford and Derby County captain in training over the past three weeks as Eustace has worked on regaining his fitness levels after missing the last few months of the previous campaign with a knee injury.

Eustace is now nearing the required level of fitness and will almost certainly become Warburton’s eighth signing and could even be handed the captain’s armband.

Lee Wallace led the team out against Hibs last week and will do so against Peterhead in the League Cup tomorrow - and the defender was the player chosen to represent Rangers in a captain’s photocall organised by new league sponsors Ladbrokes earlier in the week.

But Warburton has refused to name the club’s permanent skipper and if Eustace is signed he will be a serious contender for the honour.

Asked about Eustace yesterday, the Rangers boss said: “John has trained well and he had his most intense session yet last Tuesday. He has joined the group on Monday and it is great to see.

“John is a very talented player and a model professional off the pitch. He would be a great leader for us, along with the likes of Kenny Miller, Cammy Bell and Lee.”

Meanwhile, Warburton sidestepped a question on whether Rangers would offer Hibs midfielder Scott Allan a pre-contract deal in January if the Easter Road club sticks to its guns and refuses to sell him to their rivals.

He said: “Scott is a Hibs player and I keep saying that. Rangers as a club will always be looking for quality additions, we have to. Any club with ambition has to add quality to its ranks. If that quality becomes available, we will make a move. If the quality becomes available and we are in a position to go for it, fantastic. If not, we have got a good squad of players.

“From Rangers’ perspective, we must always be looking to add quality. We have got our targets and we know as a football department what we want to do. To achieve those targets, we have to add quality when it does become available.”

Meanwhile, the club has taken a step towards being re-listed on the stock market by appointed Peterhouse Corporate Finance as ISDX corporate adviser.

http://bit.ly/1IPTpkM

We'll have to wait and see. Eustace is an experienced pro and nearing the end of his career. He will go for a longer-term deal, no doubt, and we'll probably meet him in the middle. I know that some will jump on his age, but in essence, if W&W think that - after watching him in person - he is one for us and we need him now, I would trust their jugdment. So far (and it is still early doors) they have not disappointed.

What I like about this one is:

(1) Warburton has taken weeks to assess his fitness, rather than sign him and hope he gets fit.

(2) Eustace is a 35 year old pro but didn't throw his toys out the pram when made to prove himself before getting a contract. Many others would have walked at that stage of his career to another English Championship or Div One side. He clearly has a desire and a commitment to getting this contract with us. Very professional.

In Warburton I trust (as long as he shores up his defence! ;)3 ). Well as the old Arab saying goes - 'Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel just in case'.

I don't know enough about him to make a judgement,all players will be judged on performances,however if the manager wants him,especially after watching him close,then I will trust his decision.Time will tell of course.

Seems like a bit of a gamble if he's been struggling with his fitness, but if it's improved enough for the manager and he thinks the player will strengthen the squad, then it'll hopefully prove to be another good signing.

Seems like a bit of a gamble if he's been struggling with his fitness, but if it's improved enough for the manager and he thinks the player will strengthen the squad, then it'll hopefully prove to be another good signing.

What will that mean for Halliday as he is also a holding midfielder. Can he play further forward.

What will that mean for Halliday as he is also a holding midfielder. Can he play further forward.

Halliday can play on the left, but if Eustace comes in a player will obviously need to drop out to accommodate him because I doubt if the manager will change his system to accommodate an extra midfielder.

Not that the player to drop out will necessarily be Halliday though, it could just as easily be Law or Holt, so we might see something like this:

Foderingham

Tavernier - Kiernan - Wilson - Wallace

Law - Eastace - Halliday

McKay - Waghorn - Templeton

or this..........

Foderingham

Tavernier - Kiernan - Wilson - Wallace

Holt - Eastace - Halliday

McKay - Waghorn - Templeton