Eustace to be Offered 2 Year Deal ?

As good as the result against Hibs was, I did feel we needed a stabalising influence in the middle in the form of a proper defensive/holding midfielder, who could link with the defenders. I felt Holt, Law and Halliday were reluctant to drop deep to pick up the ball and keep us ticking over, which is understandable because they are attacking midfielders. Big Eustace could be just the man we need.

I can see Holt being dropped, just for his inexperience. Not a bad player to come off the bench though; pace, energy and attacking intent.

Edited by Rousseau

I genuinely hope MW knows what he's doing if allegedly offering a 35 year MF player a two year deal. And I admit I know very little about John Eustace.He could turn out to be an excellent signing for all I know

But if we have learned one thing above all else over these past three years it is that it is utter madness to pay lucrative salaries to players in their 30's who are well past their best & have no resale value whatsoever. And being past their best they soon get found out against younger opponents in the lower leagues who may want to put themselves in the shop window playing against Rangers.

However time will tell as they say

I can understand why he's being signed: leadership; calming influence; defensive screen. Derby's season fell away badly after his injury so, if he's fit (and the amount of time they've been spending checking his knee suggests it's ok) has clearly still got plenty to offer on the pitch. You also get the impression MW wants him almost as much for his influence on the rest of the squad in training etc.

At his age, he's not going to play every minute of every game though. You could see him doing his coaching badges while he's here.