Gordon Waddell: In the greediest economy on the planet...

The other clubs certainly don't want diversity of winning clubs - they reduced the contenders from two to one, making the league the most boring and predictable that it can possibly be. They obviously have no interest at all in what could be remotely considered "good" for the game.

Why should a club that is on TV twice a season get as much as a club that generates viewing audiences and is on every second week?

This is something I've often considered. There can't be any doubt that a match being on tv must affect gate money. Therefore the club hosting tv companies for live coverage must be losing the most through the gate.

Off at a tangent but I see the SPFL have introduced a minimum price for play offs. It's £18

I think it's 12 for the semi and 18 for the final.

The stupid rule is that of sharing half the gross, but they can sleep in their own bed, it should never affect us again.

I guess we could go at this all day and not agree, but unequal splits is how life works.

Is the draft pick system not more relevant to the competition issue in American football than the equal spit of TV revenue?

Sorry but personal circumstances at present mean my time is very limited so I will have to agree to disagree on the main point of debate.

I would agree, however, that the draft pick system is some kind of aid to competition in American sports but clubs can and do trade their way out of it so I am not sure how much weight attaches to it vis a vis the even split of commercial monies. Bear in mind that in the NFL especially it may take a long time for a draft pick (especially at the pivotal QB position) to come through to the starting line up and I suspect that the majority do not make it all or are seriously injured along the way. If the system worked perfectly then the bottom team one season would win the superbowl the next or at least in the next few years and that doesn't happen. Also a number of dynasties have emerged over the years probabaly due to the influence of the owners and the coaches they have employed.

The salary cap may have more to do with competition but it is a product of the league's revenue:

The figure is derived from NFL revenue, of which players receive no less than 47 percent and no more than 48.5 percent according to the collective bargaining agreement ratified in 2011.

The salary cap is, at its heart, a way to maintain competitive balance within a sports league by placing an upper limit on how much teams can spend on players. Among the four major American professional sports, only Major League Baseball does not have a salary cap in place. The result, according to some critics of the sport, is a league in which only big market teams in cities like New York and Los Angeles can afford to buy the best free agents, leaving scraps for the smaller markets. In 2014, the Los Angeles Dodgers led MLB by spending more than $235 million on players -- more than five time as much as the Houston Astros spent.

Conversely, the NFL is lauded for its parity perhaps because of its stringent salary cap. Teams that go over their cap numbers are subject to hefty fines, cancelled contracts and/or lost draft picks. In 2012, Dallas and Washington were fined $10 million and $36 million, respectively, for exorbitant spending during the uncapped 2010 season.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/3/2/8134891/nfl-salary-cap-2015-franchise-tag-explained