Eustace Close To Becoming A Player

Maybe Eustace took longer than expected to get back to full fitness? Maybe he's worked really really hard to get there, and that it would have been wrong not to offer him something?

If MW thought a lot of him 4 months ago, he obviously hasn't changed his mind since. Some players can still produce at the top of their game into their 40's you know.

Maybe Eustace took longer than expected to get back to full fitness? Maybe he's worked really really hard to get there, and that it would have been wrong not to offer him something?

If MW thought a lot of him 4 months ago, he obviously hasn't changed his mind since. Some players can still produce at the top of their game into their 40's you know.

This is all true but I don't think John Eustace can be compared with Paulo Maldini or even Gordon Strachan for that matter.

David Weir played 50+ games for Scotland, captaining the national side 4 times; how many times has Eustace played for England? :wtf:

Doesn't mean he can't play on into his 40's does it? Besides...winning caps for England is far more difficult.

Warbs said this about Eustace..."People like John Eustace are few and far between, people like John are ultra-professional on and off the pitch. They are great role models. If you look at his record and the win ratio when John's playing, it's really important."

He sees something in the player and that's good enough for me

Yes, I forgot Zelalem; but you're surely not comparing Kiernan, Tavernier, Waghorn with Walcott, Jordan Henderson and Phil Jones etc?

I didn't directly compare those players though, did I? I just pointed out that we haven't been stiffed/shafted on our player acquisitions and that this player management company have a lot of good players on their books.

The players we have acquired are doing very well for us at the level we are contesting at present but I'm told we only got them because KSM had a player that Wigan wanted.

Sounds like a good deal for all parties concerned....

It would be naive to think that Warburton suddenly identified them all as hidden gems.

He already knew these players and what they were capable of. The fact that they might well be hidden gems is a nice wee bonus for us and a very welcome one too surely?

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Eustace was part of the "deal".

Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but either way it seems like you're speculating and/or making assumptions?

I know we have talked about the need for a defensive midfield player but does anyone seriously think that the team we have now isn't going to win the League?

If the answer to that is "No", then why take a chance on a 36 year old who's been out the game for nine months with a serious knee injury?

I've thought along similar lines myself as I'm sure loads of others have, but he's a very experienced midfielder of a type which we don't have in the squad, so is it a bad thing to have him as an option and possibly a guide for others to feed off in training?

Edited by Zappa

David Weir played 50+ games for Scotland, captaining the national side 4 times; how many times has Eustace played for England? :wtf:

I don't think anyone is saying that Eustace is a world beater or should be an England international before we consider him and his quality at this age. He is a true professional though and of the same ilk as Weir and, if I may say so, Kenny Miller. Besides, the competition for England places is a little different to what competition for Scotland caps is, right?

Generally, thus far I don't see a trend of old players taking up too many starting places. So if W&W think that the odd old head is useful, no problem.

Edited by der Berliner