Eustace Close To Becoming A Player

We need a pivot/Defensive Midfielder. Eustace was one of the best in that position for Derby last season, which results will testify. He cannot have dipped that much in ability in 1 year to the extent that he cannot play a part for us. His off-field benefits have been intimated by Warburton and a few of the players. I think he'll be a very good signing all round. Neil Lennon was doing a fairly decent job at C***** at 36, with very little ability, and still played a part for Nottingham Forest a year later. Even our very own Sir David of Weir played until 40. Age is irrelevant if they can play a role: Serie A is littered with players in their late 30's; they are cherished, protected and carefully managed so they can play a part of the team -- sometimes a crucial part -- until a very late age; They are not shafted because they reach an arbitrary age. I think Eustace will play a very important role for us.

We need a pivot/Defensive Midfielder. Eustace was one of the best in that position for Derby last season, which results will testify. He cannot have dipped that much in ability in 1 year to the extent that he cannot play a part for us.

The facts are that Eustace has only played one full season in the last three. He only played 7 games in 2012-13 with Watford, 39 with Derby in 2013-14 and 14 in 2014-15 till his serious knee cartilage injury. It was the same early in his career: " He missed the rest of the 2004–05 season and all of the 2005–06 season because of the (knee) injury." (Don't know if it's the same knee.)

If you look at his stats he has really only played 4 full seasons (3 with Watford) in the past 13 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Eustace

He may well have admirable qualities but this looks like a massive gamble to me. I hope he's on a pay per play deal or at least a deal with a low basic and appearance money.

The facts are that Eustace has only played one full season in the last three. He only played 7 games in 2012-13 with Watford, 39 with Derby in 2013-14 and 14 in 2014-15 till his serious knee cartilage injury. It was the same early in his career: " He missed the rest of the 2004–05 season and all of the 2005–06 season because of the (knee) injury." (Don't know if it's the same knee.)

If you look at his stats he has really only played 4 full seasons (3 with Watford) in the past 13 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Eustace

He may well have admirable qualities but this looks like a massive gamble to me. I hope he's on a pay per play deal or at least a deal with a low basic and appearance money.

Ah, so it's his injury record that you have a problem with, rather than his age or ability. I understand that. Isn't it true that he -- despite, as you state, not playing much -- was a key player for his clubs? Like I said, I don't expect him to play much, but he'll play a important part IMO, in the sense that we need a DM/pivot, and his off-field presence which could be very beneficial. I agree a pay-as-you-play could be quite good.

Nothing wrong with bringing in an experienced head, even if he doesn't feature much in the way of pitch time.

I seem to recall a couple of years back when Becks rolled up to train with Spurs on a short term loan during the off season in MLS. There was something about contracts not allowing him to actually play, but it was deemed that the benefits he brought to the training pitch were considerable enough to bring him in. The hope was, if I recall, that his presence might have a positive effect on a young Aaron Lennon. Didn't quite work that way in the end I think but there's no reason a similar approach might not work at Rangers.

**Disclaimer** I'm simply drawing a parallel here, I do not mean to imply either explicitly or implicitly that Eustace is in any way comparable to Beckham as a player!

Derek Lyle is only a year and 3 months younger and we seem to have problems controlling him every time we play against him. He still runs around like a youngster. Too much being made of his age.

Experience and intelligence