Alex Mooney: Rangers use of EBTs is indefensible but end this hate fest...

So using a perfectly legal tax avoidance scheme is morally wrong?. I will need to cancel my ISA's and pension funds.

What I think is morally wrong and indefensible is the way our club has been treated by the SFA/SPFL with their attempted blackmail,trying to steal our titles and the whole of Scottish football.

We would not be getting dragged through a series of court cases if we were " using a perfectly legal tax avoidance scheme ". That one remains to be seen. However, an ISA or a pension fund it definitely was not.

As for the actions of the football authorities, that goes without saying.

We would not be getting dragged through a series of court cases if we were " using a perfectly legal tax avoidance scheme ". That one remains to be seen. However, an ISA or a pension fund it definitely was not.

But the scheme was legal,the way in which it was administered is the problem,admin error!. We have been punished enough and no other club will be punished like we have been,so sorry if I feel the club has no need to apologise for a moral issue.

As far as I can see, the legality of the EBT scheme is beyond question. The court case is simply to decide whether our players' EBTs were administered in a way which successfully avoided tax. If not, oldco owe HMRC a wad of cash (which is how it stands unless there's a successful appeal).

It's not illegal for a company to inadvertently incur a bill it can't pay. It's usually down to incompetence or in this case (as t4c rightly says) recklessness.

You have to laugh!, we are now morally wrong!...................,oh the irony!the day we take moral lessons of any Scottish fan,media,club or the cabal running our game into the ground is the day I will give up.

But the scheme was legal,the way in which it was administered is the problem,admin error!. We have been punished enough and no other club will be punished like we have been,so sorry if I feel the club has no need to apologise for a moral issue.

You are correct. The scheme was legal. But not the way we administered it involving side letters promising bonuses. Had the whole thing worked in the way an ISA or pension fund does do you think for one second that Murray would have offered to pay umpteen millions to settle ?

I did no say the club should apologise for a moral issue. I stated that in my opinion EBTs are morally wrong. I do not earn enough to employ an army of lawyers and accountants to find ways of avoiding paying my taxes. I don't think it's right that those who earn the most have that option. Many years ago as a struggling apprentice I was shocked to find out that Lord Vestey had paid half a pence tax for the year . That's just not right mate.

You have to laugh!, we are now morally wrong!...................,oh the irony!the day we take moral lessons of any Scottish fan,media,club or the cabal running our game into the ground is the day I will give up.

You are not being asked to "take moral lessons of any Scottish fan,media,club or the cabal running our game into the ground". You are answering a point made by a fellow Rangers fan.

You are correct. The scheme was legal. But not the way we administered it involving side letters promising bonuses. Had the whole thing worked in the way an ISA or pension fund does do you think for one second that Murray would have offered to pay umpteen millions to settle ?

I did no say the club should apologise for a moral issue. I stated that in my opinion EBTs are morally wrong. I do not earn enough to employ an army of lawyers and accountants to find ways of avoiding paying my taxes. I don't think it's right that those who earn the most have that option. Many years ago as a struggling apprentice I was shocked to find out that Lord Vestey had paid half a pence tax for the year . That's just not right mate.

I'm not having a go at you mate, I'm just fed up with all of this pish. We all want to move on but we are not being allowed to when we keep hearing pish from so called journalists.

Edited by ian1964

You are not being asked to "take moral lessons of any Scottish fan,media,club or the cabal running our game into the ground". You are answering a point made by a fellow Rangers fan.

I never knew he was a Rangers fan. I still don't agree this is morally wrong though, a lot of clubs and businesses use the same or similar schemes, and most fans had no idea about these types of schemes at the time,me for one. We keep getting beaten up with all this is all I'm saying,it really only involves oldco now anyway,unless I'm wrong with that as well?.