Warburton to Fulham?

Spiers used to regularly flash his pompous pomposity credentials by reminding his readership that he was an honours graduate in Theology and Divinity.

I can exclusively reveal that dearest Graham is a recipient of a double First in Bawbaggery and Bampottery.

I seem to remember he'd failed at St Andrews and got no degree at all?

I was/am not worried about these links to Fulham, but now they've stated they don't want him, I've got to say I'm a little miffed: 'What, he's not good enough for you?'

He's going nowhere though, so I'm quite content.

We need to be careful we don't become paranoid here. What Warburton achieved with Brentford didn't go unnoticed in the English Championship and if anyone thinks Fulham haven't considered Warburton for the vacant post then they're deluding themselves.

Fulham have been 'rejected' in one form or another by three other managers now. So rather than approach Rangers and be rebuffed again they've leaked it to the press that they're interested in him. That puts pressure on Rangers and also allows them to see how Warburton reacts to this indirect approach. Until last night Warburton was at best ambiguous in his answers to the Fulham questions. 'I'm at Rangers and I've a job to do here' 'it's disrespectful to discuss this' that type of answer simply fuels the speculation. Had he came out and said 'I'm not interested, I'll not be leaving Rangers for Fulham, end of' the story would have ended there, but he didn't until last night.

The truth is of course Warburton was interested in Fulham, would any of you not be interested if another company made it known they'd like to employ you and probably pay you a lot more than you're earning just now? So I'm going to speculate that Warburton has weighed up what he currently has and perhaps what out board have intimated he might expect in the future, added that to what he might achieve with Rangers, measured it against Fulham, and decided he's better off where he is. For now.

But for the life of me I can't see what the media have done wrong here and we should be careful not to let our distrust of them cloud our view on the reality of professional football.

There's no issue with the initial link - that happens all the time and RFC, MW and our fans have to deal with it.

The problem is the subsequent coverage which appears to be inaccurate - stuff about new contracts and increased transfer budgets. That suggests MW may be manipulating the link for his own ends which he's clearly very annoyed by. Remember, MW has been nothing but respectful to the Scottish media since he arrived. He could have looked to create a siege mentality to get the fans onside early doors but instead he chose to work with BBC Scotland instead of against them.

Essentially he's now had that co-operation thrown back in his face. It's no wonder he's angry but, like us, I'm sure he's also unsurprised.

I listen to Radio Scotland every morning on the way to work. Their 7.25am sports bulletin highlighted MW's comments but still went on to play an excitable Tom English saying our season would be finished f he left and the club would be staring into the financial abyss once again. What a load of old cobblers.

Isn't it the age-old media tactic of building someone up and then when they are well liked, finding ways to tear them down.

If they are going after MW, it would suggest to me there are no scary horror Rangers-are-dying stories they can print. Also, bear in mind Rangers are now in control of what comes out of Ibrox. Remember when we used to conduct business quietly and let the football do the talking? The media have spent the last few years feasting on our mess, getting soundbites from different sources. I reckon they've been cut off and are worried about circulation so have to make a tenuous link in to something more.

Careful Mr English, I don't think Mark Warburton suffers fools gladly.

Where did they get the comment about Rangers paying him more money, and having a larger transfer kitty. This seems to have come from a contact with Rangers, it is a strange comment just to make up.

Honestly, it could be a tweet from some random on the internet and all Tom has to do is say 'I can't reveal my sources' and it sounds all mysterious.

There's no issue with the initial link - that happens all the time and RFC, MW and our fans have to deal with it.

The problem is the subsequent coverage which appears to be inaccurate - stuff about new contracts and increased transfer budgets. That suggests MW may be manipulating the link for his own ends which he's clearly very annoyed by. Remember, MW has been nothing but respectful to the Scottish media since he arrived. He could have looked to create a siege mentality to get the fans onside early doors but instead he chose to work with BBC Scotland instead of against them.

Essentially he's now had that co-operation thrown back in his face. It's no wonder he's angry but, like us, I'm sure he's also unsurprised.

I listen to Radio Scotland every morning on the way to work. Their 7.25am sports bulletin highlighted MW's comments but still went on to play an excitable Tom English saying our season would be finished f he left and the club would be staring into the financial abyss once again. What a load of old cobblers.

The story the BBC ran about the board being willing to increase Warburton's salary and transfer budget was written by Richard Wilson and Alasdair Lamont - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34980312 I wouldn't class either as people who'd purposely try to damage Rangers or Warburton despite their employers. Indeed I'd go as far as to say if they are claiming board sources there might be some veracity to it.

Edited by JohnMc
speeling

The story the BBC ran about the board being willing to increase Warburton's salary and transfer budget was written by Richard Wilson and Alasdair Lamont - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34980312 I wouldn't class either as people who'd purposely try to damage Rangers or Warburton despite their employers. Indeed I'd go as far as to say if they are claiming board sources there might be some veracity to it.

Being willing to do something to keep a man who has transformed the team? Gosh, imagine that.

They may have been asked 'If someone came for MW would you offer increased contract?' to which the answer is clearly yes. Doesn't mean they HAVE offered it, just that they would if needed.