The Billy Boys (Reprise)

It’s probably a good time to check the moral compass. Let’s be honest when a song about Glasgow gang culture from the 30’s is deemed more headline grabbing than chants celebrating an active and proscribed terrorist organisation responsible for the deaths of thousands ‘“ then quite simply you know the game is a bogey. And knowing the game is a bogey is the important benchmark for us as Rangers supporters.

If sectarianism is the Scottish government’s equivalent of a lucrative sex trade then quite simply Graham Spiers is its biggest whore. His lack of integrity was exposed on National Television by my fellow blogger Chris Graham, in a manner which was not only scrumptious but also unequivocal. Well’¦. to the best of my knowledge it was.

So we as Rangers will not be taking morality lessons from the morally bereft Spiers. Is that too ‘complicated’ for you Graham? If not ‘“ then quite simply ‘“ do one, you absolute weasel and charlatan.

They hate the Billy Boys, though I actually doubt however if the content and words is the primary motivating factor. As an anthem it is second to none in football, it is intimidating, it unites and reminds us that running through the very DNA of our football club is a refusal to acquiesce, a refusal to bow down on one knee, an utter revulsion at the prospect of surrendering. They don’t like that ‘“ a Rangers who refuse to give in, who triumph over adversity and after several years of being battered from pillar to post the mere prospect of such a mind-set returning terrifies them.

If you find yourself continually moved to apologise for what we are and what we believe in and cherish ‘“ then perhaps you ought to seek another club.

I don’t intend to spend time arguing over the linguistic history of the word ‘******’ ‘“ suffice to say its inclusion as a sectarian term is an utterly ridiculous notion proposed and championed by people with an utter hatred of our club, unfortunately aided by those who follow our club and are less than careful, lazy even, with their choice of language and its entailment and consequences.

But the loaded dice have been rolled and it’s in such an environment we now operate. Those on message forums who boldly tell you to sing the Billy Boys in its original form ‘“ will they pay your fine if you are arrested? Will they explain to your children why daddy has lost his job or is going to jail?

Time to box clever bears. The words need to be altered so that we can belt out one of our most enigmatic anthems without fear, without compromise and without damage to our beloved club. I’ll leave the revised version to the better qualified songsmiths out there.

A revised and revamped Billy Boys delivers a message to the world – we will adapt and change as circumstances suit, but we will never, ever, go away.

Edited by D'Artagnan

It’s probably a good time to check the moral compass. Let’s be honest when a song about Glasgow gang culture from the 30’s is deemed more headline grabbing than chants celebrating an active and proscribed terrorist organisation responsible for the deaths of thousands ‘“ then quite simply you know the game is a bogey. And knowing the game is a bogey is the important benchmark for us as Rangers supporters.

If sectarianism is the Scottish government’s equivalent of a lucrative sex trade then quite simply Graham Spiers is its biggest whore. His lack of integrity was exposed on National Television by my fellow blogger Cliff Glaham' date=' in a manner which was not only scrumptious but also unequivocal. Well’¦. to the best of my knowledge it was.

So we as Rangers will not be taking morality lessons from the morally bereft Spiers. Is that too ‘complicated’ for you Graham? If not ‘“ then quite simply ‘“ do one, you absolute weasel and charlatan.

They hate the Billy Boys, though I actually doubt however if the content and words is the primary motivating factor. As an anthem it is second to none in football, it is intimidating, it unites and reminds us that running through the very DNA of our football club is a refusal to acquiesce, a refusal to bow down on one knee, an utter revulsion at the prospect of surrendering. They don’t like that ‘“ a Rangers who refuse to give in, who triumph over adversity and after several years of being battered from pillar to post the mere prospect of such a mind-set returning terrifies them.

If you find yourself continually moved to apologise for what we are and what we believe in and cherish ‘“ then perhaps you ought to seek another club.

I don’t intend to spend time arguing over the linguistic history of the word ‘******’ ‘“ suffice to say its inclusion as a sectarian term is an utterly ridiculous notion proposed and championed by people with an utter hatred of our club, unfortunately aided by those who follow our club and are less than careful, lazy even, with their choice of language and its entailment and consequences.

But the loaded die have been rolled and it’s in such an environment we now operate. Those on message forums who boldly tell you to sing the Billy Boys in its original form ‘“ will they pay your fine if you are arrested? Will they explain to your children why daddy has lost his job or is going to jail?

Time to box clever bears. The words need to be altered so that we can belt out one of our most enigmatic anthems without fear, without compromise and without damage to our beloved club. I’ll leave the revised version to the better qualified songsmiths out there.

A revised and revamped Billy Boys delivers a message to the world – we will adapt and change as circumstances suit, but we will never, ever, go away.[/quote']

D'art...from the first time I saw your posts, I almost worshiped you...a Rangers fan with passion, intellect and wit. I've admired you for a long time.

On this topic I'm not sure.

I argued long and hard last week what, if anything, was banned re. the Billy Boys.

As far as I know:

Is singing the Billy Boys banned? No.

Is the tune banned? No.

Is singing "******" banned? Hmm that's up to the new football act.

So I guess we could just sing the non-****** part and all is well as you say?

Firstly, there's no way every Rangers supporter will do that...it is a historical song handed down by their fathers and means a lot. Their grandfathers sung it, their fathers sung it...why shouldn't they?

Secondly, why do we care what others think all of a sudden? Because they attack us....make us feel small and vilified? Why should we be censored and alter our singing? Many say that's just the way it is in 2015/16 well fuck that. My dad's a great guy and sang it...he never hated anyone. I'll sing it and not hate anyone.

It doesn't breed hate. Censorship though does breed hate.

Ergo D'Art....I'll sing what I fucking want and show my support to Rangers and our traditions. That doesn't mean I hate anyone. If that becomes an offence then jail me.

Edited by LucyBlue

Maybe we can use the new legislation to our advantage. The so-called 'prevent' initiative makes it incumbent on authorities to prevent the promotion of terrorism. Couched under the term 'radicalisation' it is designed to limit the promotion of jihadis, but surely someone eulogising the IRA could fall into the same category? A two-pronged attack methinks: drop the 'f' word from TBB but at the same time think about legal challenges to the singing of songs which seemingly glorify terrorism.

For me it's quite simple.

We will never stop spontaneous renditions of the song. This doesn't mean 50,000 bears are bigots; just that they enjoying singing a chant (or part of a chant) that antongises others and shows defiance to certain situations.

Jimmy Hill wasn't a poof either but the Tartan Army sang it en masse to get at the English, not because they were all homophobes.

Tribalism - nothing more.

D'art...from the first time I saw your posts, I almost worshiped you...a Rangers fan with passion, intellect and wit. I've admired you for a long time.

On this topic I'm not sure.

I argued long and hard last week what, if anything, was banned re. the Billy Boys.

As far as I know:

Is singing the Billy Boys banned? No.

Is the tune banned? No.

Is singing "******" banned? Hmm that's up to the new football act.

So I guess we could just sing the non-****** part and all is well as you say?

Firstly, there's no way every Rangers supporter will do that...it is a historical song handed down by their fathers and means a lot. Their grandfathers sung it, their fathers sung it...why shouldn't they?

Secondly, why do we care what others think all of a sudden? Because they attack us....make us feel small and vilified? Why should we be censored and alter our singing? Many say that's just the way it is in 2015/16 well fuck that. My dad's a great guy and sang it...he never hated anyone. I'll sing it and not hate anyone.

It doesn't breed hate. Censorship though does breed hate.

Ergo D'Art....I'll sing what I fucking want and show my support to Rangers and our traditions. That doesn't mean I hate anyone. If that becomes an offence then jail me.

Thats fine and up to you Lucy - but Im not going to sit behind the safety of a computer & risk giving advice that would see my fellow bears subject to imprisonment - and thats where we are at the moment. Until someone goes to court and challenges this successfully that is the status quo

The imbalance and inequality behind all this sticks in my throat as much as it does yours but we have a choice here and I think when you lay out the pros and cons of each argument the pros for a slight adaption strongly outweigh the other.

Edited by D'Artagnan

For me it's quite simple.

We will never stop spontaneous renditions of the song. This doesn't mean 50,000 bears are bigots; just that they enjoying singing a chant (or part of a chant) that antongises others and shows defiance to certain situations.

Jimmy Hill wasn't a poof either but the Tartan Army sang it en masse to get at the English, not because they were all homophobes.

Tribalism - nothing more.

What!!! Jimmy Hill wasn't a poof? ....and on that bombshell, goodnight!:D

I think as a support we have learned that no matter what we do to appease our enemies, it will never be enough. That being said, we need to learn to fight back more wisely here. Call it the Billy Boys or the Rangers Boys, still the same anthem, only two or three of the words changed. It still get's the heart pumping, drowns out the vermin, they'll hate it regardless. But the club and the supporter singing it, will be in the clear legal wise.

Watched the Dundee Derby heard plenty of billy boys and up to the knees in arab blood

Before anyone jumps and says it's different because Arab is a nickname for their rivals and not a real Arab. Just think that through then examine it against the one rule for one excuse. Then explore the difference