Rangers FC has withdrawn £40,000 worth of advertising revenue from The Herald

That great but your experience does not cancel out someone elses is my point.

Yeh, I used to see the young ladies walking through the Derry having an "experience". It was so bad they walked back through going the other way in the second half.

Point taken though.

Funny how "all Muslims" is taboo but "all men" seems to be perfectly fine with the regressive left. If you dare to suggest there's a link between terrorism and religion then you are a racist, bigot blah blah blah but smearing an entire sex with the crimes of the few is perfectly reasonable.

Alive in Wonderland looks like a documentary these days.

It's funny how when there is a story on sexual assault the butt-hurtedness of certain individuals is deemed more important than the facts and trauma sustained to the victims. You (if I remember correctly) have some extremely strong views on Religion so I'm not surprised you would try to tie this together.

It took me a second to see where you got the "Alive..." part from and then I realised it was from me. Sausage fingers.

I don't think you're a regressive lefty mate, you still have your feet firmly planted in reality. I like to think I have too and most people would say I'm left of centre when it comes to politics but over the past year or so a few souls seem to have snapped off a rudder and become lodged in a permanent ant-clockwise spin.

Tell me what the difference between saying "the common denominator in terrorism is Islam" and "The common denominator in most sex attacks is not race or ethnicity, but gender" is please? I would argue that Carolyn Leckie's point is less valid due to the inability of men to be anything other than men (transgender issues aside) whereas Islam and Islamism more pertinently is a set of ideas.

Saying the common denominator in either is not an issue, but you previously said 'all muslims' would be taboo but 'all men' is OK.

Common denominator does not mean that it ALL people of a gender/race/religion behave/act/believe the same way, but it DOES suggest that the majority of attacks - whether assaults of acts of terror - are committed by a certain group.

You cloud the debate when you conflate two very different things. Women know that NOT ALL MEN or we'd never have anything to do with you guys lol, but that doesn't take away from the fact that when we are assaulted it is overwhelmingly committed by men.

The fact is that not all men aren't Heterosexual, so does her claims of" all men" stand as to regards our Homosexual brethren?

From the article:

Feminists like me are often castigated when we point that out. There is always the immediate response: “But not all men behave like that.” And of course, that’s true. Not all men are misogynists. And that applies not just to middle-class white men, but to black, Asian and Arabic men. And to refugees.

She never said "All Men".

Tell me what the difference between saying "the common denominator in terrorism is Islam" and "The common denominator in most sex attacks is not race or ethnicity, but gender" is please? I would argue that Carolyn Leckie's point is less valid due to the inability of men to be anything other than men (transgender issues aside) whereas Islam and Islamism more pertinently is a set of ideas.

I suppose a difference is that we need to qualify the first quote - if you'd written, "the common denominator in Islamic terrorism is Islam" then it would be accurate enough, but they are hardly the only terrorists on the planet - the Maoists in that state of Inida who's name I forget aren't Muslims, not are the Mex/Columbian druggies, or even what's left of Peru's Shining Path (thankfully not much), not the ocassional Militia Man in backwoods America. Whereas I would imagine that re.sexual assaults, 99% would be carried out by men so the common denom. would be men, regardless of their orientation. But surely it's a bald statement of fact & I doubt it was meant to be taken as an insult to all men, I certainly wasn't insulted at any rate.

I suppose a difference is that we need to qualify the first quote - if you'd written, "the common denominator in Islamic terrorism is Islam" then it would be accurate enough, but they are hardly the only terrorists on the planet - the Maoists in that state of Inida who's name I forget aren't Muslims, not are the Mex/Columbian druggies, or even what's left of Peru's Shining Path (thankfully not much), not the ocassional Militia Man in backwoods America. Whereas I would imagine that re.sexual assaults, 99% would be carried out by men so the common denom. would be men, regardless of their orientation. But surely it's a bald statement of fact & I doubt it was meant to be taken as an insult to all men, I certainly wasn't insulted at any rate.

The ratio of non Islamic terrorism to Islamic terrorism is probably around the same as the ratio of non-male perpetrators of sex attacks to male sex attacks. Does that qualify my quote any more clearly?

Saying the common denominator in either is not an issue, but you previously said 'all muslims' would be taboo but 'all men' is OK.

Common denominator does not mean that it ALL people of a gender/race/religion behave/act/believe the same way, but it DOES suggest that the majority of attacks - whether assaults of acts of terror - are committed by a certain group.

You cloud the debate when you conflate two very different things. Women know that NOT ALL MEN or we'd never have anything to do with you guys lol, but that doesn't take away from the fact that when we are assaulted it is overwhelmingly committed by men.

The author was trying to separate the religion of the sex attackers from the whole scenario, my argument is simply that their religious beliefs are AS relevant to the discussion as the fact that they are men. To be clear I do not subscribe to the "all Muslims are x" notion any more than the"all men are y" notion, they are both inaccurate and unhelpful. It is interesting as a man (last time I checked) to think about this and feel some sympathy with the overwhelming majority of Muslims who are conflated with the extremists of their numbers. I'm guessing it's much the same as a right minded man being conflated with sex offenders and rapists.

The ratio of non Islamic terrorism to Islamic terrorism is probably around the same as the ratio of non-male perpetrators of sex attacks to male sex attacks. Does that qualify my quote any more clearly?

Kind of dogmatic view of things for my taste.

I think you have to be a quite unattractive guy to never had you bum pinched by a woman. Can't see how it's a male only thing.

One of the differences is that men are flattered and see it as trivial rather than be disproportionately offended.

I also see a lot more misandry these days than misogyny - try finding some kind of club that doesn't allow women, it's very difficult. Try finding one that doesn't allow men - they are everywhere.

I think you have to be a quite unattractive guy to never had you bum pinched by a woman. Can't see how it's a male only thing.

One of the differences is that men are flattered and see it as trivial rather than be disproportionately offended.

I also see a lot more misandry these days than misogyny - try finding some kind of club that doesn't allow women, it's very difficult. Try finding one that doesn't allow men - they are everywhere.

C'mon Calscot, the power dynamic between men and women, even in supposedly enlightened societies like ours, makes that comparison a fallacy. You must be able to see that? I'm sure you're not suggesting that a women should be flattered when a man 'pinches her bum' but it kinda reads that way.

A friend of mine attended a Rangers game with his girlfriend, this was back in the 90s. Whilst he was getting something to eat a crowd of young, male bluenoses started to chat to his girlfriend in Copland Road, just past the Subway. When she decided not to join in with their 'banter' or respond to their increasingly lurid comments they started to insult her, 'stuck up bitch' that type of thing. When my friend returned and realised what was happening they guys actually apologised, but to him, not her. One of them actually said, and I quote, "sorry mate, we'd never have said anything to her if we'd known she was with you"!

There are dickheads in our society, some of them support Rangers.