Rangers' Wi-Fi providers FAIL in bid to arrest £300,000 over unpaid bill

Not sure how it works elsewhere, but creating a W-LAN service in one place for even a fraction of 40k visitors at any one time is quite a bit of a job, or requires some decent amount of hardware. We've got an up to scratch W-LAN running at my work (maximum 17k visitors) and if the arena is full and scanners, a few hundred mobile phones and the PC network are online, you can experience quite a bit of trouble accessing the internet via your mobile. Hence I usually use internet via my mobile contract and it works fine enough ... since I don't watch youtube or RTV streams with it.

A more general remark this.

DB, it does bout not the prices were seeing here.

Your overestimating how difficult a task this should be. Without knowing exactly the access points and Internet breakout bandwidth they pay for (which will be paid to virgin or bt)

Never had to run 50k users at once myself but pretty confident with the right cisco or hp access points my team of engineers at work would pull this off.

We use a combination of Cisco and hp POE access points in some VERY large colleges and can have full campus coverage for multiple domains with much much better service than I ever had at ibrox. There wifi was shit.

Meanwhile, got an email trail somewhere I actually contacted Rangers when they first rolled this out because I noticed in the family stand the access points were placed behind steel girders with aerials pointing right into the steel roof. Never got a reply but certainly wouldn't have been helping if all there access points were installed by idiots who don't know how to place a bloody access point.

DB, it does bout not the prices were seeing here.

Your overestimating how difficult a task this should be. Without knowing exactly the access points and Internet breakout bandwidth they pay for (which will be paid to virgin or bt)

Never had to run 50k users at once myself but pretty confident with the right cisco or hp access points my team of engineers at work would pull this off.

We use a combination of Cisco and hp POE access points in some VERY large colleges and can have full campus coverage for multiple domains with much much better service than I ever had at ibrox. There wifi was shit.

Meanwhile, got an email trail somewhere I actually contacted Rangers when they first rolled this out because I noticed in the family stand the access points were placed behind steel girders with aerials pointing right into the steel roof. Never got a reply but certainly wouldn't have been helping if all there access points were installed by idiots who don't know how to place a bloody access point.

Have you informed the new board?

The wifi before the upgrade mentioned was very poor but following the work (perhaps in relation to or paid for or supposed to be paid for by the Commonwealth games as Zappa says) presumably by this company it improved out of all recognition; so it is unfair of anyone to cast any aspersions on the quality of the work.

We were originally told that the deal to install Wifi in Ibrox was signed with tech' giant Huawei. That was announced at the start of July 2013 stating that installation would begin the following month. By mid to late September it had been installed in pretty much the full Govan stand as well as the Broomloan and Copland concourses. The installation process then moved around the stadium, but it apparently started in the Govan stand.

Edited by Zappa

Guys, as much as we're all keen to join the dots and find out the truth, please use your best judgement when posting content from elsewhere that could affect any forthcoming court cases.

I've removed a few links and quotes from other sites which I'd rather we didn't have hosted on here.

Edited by Frankie