During the match Feynoord v Heerenveen tonight a test was tried out using a video referee. It was a trial and the game itself was not involved or stopped. Another few tests are to be carried out and the Dutch FA want to introduce it for all cup games next season.

The video Referee will be called upon to look at red cards, penalty decisions, off side decisions where a goal has been scored and goal-line decisions.

There will be some grey areas but our last few games have let us see this should be standard at every game.

It works well in ice hockey too (for years), even though the refs have to leave the ice to check the video.

The main problem would probably be the equipment stuff and "employing" a fifth man at every league game. I take it that higher tier leagues will manage that, also for cup games, but I doubt that the East Fifes and Berwicks of this planet will be able to get it in place that easily.

It works well in ice hockey too (for years), even though the refs have to leave the ice to check the video.

The main problem would probably be the equipment stuff and "employing" a fifth man at every league game. I take it that higher tier leagues will manage that, also for cup games, but I doubt that the East Fifes and Berwicks of this planet will be able to get it in place that easily.

Scotland's top league will never get this, we don't even have goal line technology yet and that's been around for a couple of years.

Edit: Pete...do they have goal line technology in the Dutch leagues ?

Edited by Bearman

Rugby is a different, slower sport. Tennis is a completely different sport that already stops and starts between each and every point.

Correct decisions are desirable but not necessary.

I don't want the game to be stopped while the referee checks the video. I don't want teams at matches with more cameras to have a better chance of correct decisions. I don't want breaks in play to become a tool for managers to interrupt the flow of an opponent. Footballers already appeal every foul like little children. Imagine how bad it would be if a video replay was available at the time.

Rugby is a different, slower sport. Tennis is a completely different sport that already stops and starts between each and every point.

Correct decisions are desirable but not necessary.

I don't want the game to be stopped while the referee checks the video. I don't want teams at matches with more cameras to have a better chance of correct decisions. I don't want breaks in play to become a tool for managers to interrupt the flow of an opponent. Footballers already appeal every foul like little children. Imagine how bad it would be if a video replay was available at the time.

Spot on...and couldn't have put it better myself.

An Old Firm game, 7:45pm k.o....game due to stoppages (of which there will be many) has 15 mins added time with extra-time approaching...do you cop out because the last train leaves at midnight or stay to watch your team reach the final? No brainer. Forget the video ref shite.

As a former referee I agree with those who are effectively saying that football is a fast moving game of controversy where the decision of the referee as to matters of fact is final.

I am in favour of goaline technology because that would allow the referee to decide as a matter of fact whether or not a ball had crossed the goaline; but I am not in favour of it for red cards, in/out penalty decisions, etc because almost invariably these are a matter of opinion not fact. If in the opinion of the referee........... I accept that there are exceptions, as we have seen recently, but I don't think that is sufficient to change the entire nature of the game.

If you had a video referee for offside decisions we would indeed be there all night.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I appreciate the stop-start worry, which would be an issue. What about a cricket-style system whereby the teams have 3 challenges (or is it 2?) -- a bit like Tennis to be honest. The goal-line technology is very quick: a quick nod down at the watch tells the referee in an instant. For red card, in/out penalty decisions could we not just have a certain number of challenges? Challenge successfully, get the decision reversed (or upheld), but if you challenge unsuccessfully, you lose a challenge. It would stop the misuse of technology.

In regards to the ''opinion not fact'' argument, could we not have 2 video referee's, where they give their opinion or interpretation of the law. If they disagree with the Referee on the pitch then the decision gets overturned? If there is a split decision, then the power rests with the on-pitch Referee.

I really think there is a place for technology. We just need to make sure it fits with the sporting event, and doesn't disrupt the things that make Football special.

I appreciate the stop-start worry, which would be an issue. What about a cricket-style system whereby the teams have 3 challenges (or is it 2?) -- a bit like Tennis to be honest. The goal-line technology is very quick: a quick nod down at the watch tells the referee in an instant. For red card, in/out penalty decisions could we not just have a certain number of challenges? Challenge successfully, get the decision reversed (or upheld), but if you challenge unsuccessfully, you lose a challenge. It would stop the misuse of technology.

It won't stop misuse. It would reduce it compared to unlimited challenges.

No thanks.

In regards to the ''opinion not fact'' argument, could we not have 2 video referee's, where they give their opinion or interpretation of the law. If they disagree with the Referee on the pitch then the decision gets overturned? If there is a split decision, then the power rests with the on-pitch Referee.

Blah, blah, blah, and on and on and on. Why not have a committee that can quickly convene and overrule the two video referees?

It's a simple game. Lets keep it simple.