RST Write to Senior SNP Figures Over IRA Pub Visit

But from what you're saying, it seems that "most" people who support Rangers would just as easily give in to family and peer pressure had they been born into a different demographic, and therefore just as easily supported Celtic in different circumstances.

I can say for myself that as I chose freely I could easily have chosen Celtic, had the names and colours been switched; however, due to being free I also know who I am and I don't believe it would have lasted long as there would be too much I would feel uncomfortable about.

There is plenty I feel uncomfortable about with Rangers and the more extreme supporters but it's at a far lower level than at Celtic.

For a start, I could not reconcile the identity not being Scottish. I am uncomfortable about the Northern Irish and English identity some try to slap on Rangers and also with those that put Britishness before Scottishness. However, I'm very comfortable with the mainstream Scottish First and British second identity.

I would not be comfortable at all with the Celtic mainstream identity of Irish first, Scottish second and British not at all.

I'm not comfortable with the anti-Irish bias at Rangers but it's at a low level, while I don't know how I could reconcile the intense anit-Britishness of Celtic fans, especially as I am British.

Then there is the terrorist support, I'm uncomfortable with support for Loyalist paramilitaries, but again it's at a low level, I could never endorse the pro-IRA stance of Celtic.

I'm also not comfortable with the religious aspect, but again, I find Rangers generally more secular while Celtic promote their Catholicness, which for a non-Catholic is not only difficult, it seems a lot more extreme a religion than the CoS which is at least somewhat humble and democratic. I'm not a fan of religion at all but the Catholic church seems to be one of those religions that noticeably and continuously, negatively affects the world. I find it more malignant than most. The CoS is pretty benign in comparison. However, I'm not comfortable with the Orange Order connections with Rangers.

On a selfish note, I suppose I'd also find it very difficult to support a club where I had little chance of playing due to not being of the correct religion. When I grew up the Celtic team had generally about 8 Catholics in it, in a country with 18% of that religion...

There are lots of other reasons why I would be more likely to drop a support of Celtic compared to Rangers, but the point is that as I chose freely, there is almost no chance that under different circumstances I'd be a Celtic supporter today, due to who I am as a person.

In the same way, I might not have actually been a Rangers supporter if between 5 and 8 years old, someone started explaining some of the "history" mentioned in this thread to me.

I'm hoping there are a load of others like me, rather than "mostly" not.

I'm not really sure what we're talking about anymore Calscot. Most, again please I say most, not all, people choose the football team they support as children, way before they've any real grasp on religion or national identity or politics. And most (that word again) people as children are heavily influenced by family members and their peer group. So if your father or uncle or older brother support Rangers you are more likely to support them yourself. Likewise if all your friends at school support a particular team you might be influenced in that direction too. Now you could replace football with Star Wars or Minecraft or Scottish country dancing its still the same people influencing you as an 7 year old.

Children are influenced by family and friends, it's not a new concept. Some aren't. .

Edited by JohnMc

I'm not really sure what we're talking about anymore Calscot. Most, again please I say most, not all, people choose the football team they support as children, way before they've any real grasp on religion or national identity or politics. And most (that word again) people as children are heavily influenced by family members and their peer group. So if your father or uncle or older brother support Rangers you are more likely to support them yourself. Likewise if all your friends at school support a particular team you might be influenced in that direction too. Now you could replace football with Star Wars or Minecraft or Scottish country dancing its still the same people influencing you as an 7 year old.

Children are influenced by family and friends, it's not a new concept. Some aren't. .

This :thup:

Most of us would be influenced that way - though, as you say John, not all.

I'd bet RC's make up a lot more than 16% of the SNP vote

That's not what you said in the post I replied to. At the last GE the pollsters say was the first time more RC's voted SNP than Slab. I don't think many people vote on religious grounds, only the bigots on either side. Personally i don't care about what religion or team a candidate supports.

no legal requirement to answer due to their being no grounds for the inquisiton i.e. alighting from a train after a normal journey.

as i say it doesn't happen where other crowds have gathered in similar situations

T in the park, nightclubs etc.

IMO it is down to nothing more than intimidation of football fans

My understanding is that the police have the power to demand the personal details of a person if a crime has been committed and that person is a suspect or a potential witness to that crime. In all other cases they have no power to make such demands and I certainly would not be looking into any camera or speaking to them if asked.

For what its worth http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12461452.MPs_form_Rangers_supporters_apos__club_at_Westminster/

And while I was looking for the link above I spotted this link from Phucked Up Phil the Felon, where he mentions Iain Davidson

Anchor we prefer not to have links on the site to that moron. If you just mention it anybody who is wanting to know what he is saying can look it up.

I don't mean this snappily we just don't like giving him hits.

Anchor we prefer not to have links on the site to that moron. If you just mention it anybody who is wanting to know what he is saying can look it up.

I don't mean this snappily we just don't like giving him hits.

Ah ok Pete - can understand that - no worries. I hadn't looked him up - his link came up when I did my search. But I will know in future mate.