Facial recognition plans set to be SCRAPPED...

...as government reject funding request from SPFL

THE governing body had asked for £4m from the government for a scheme designed to tackle offensive behaviour in stadiums from next season.

PLANS to introduce facial recognition in Scottish football are set to be scrapped after the Scottish Government told the SPFL they will not provide funding.

The League had asked for £4m for a scheme designed to tackle offensive behaviour in stadiums from next season, but community safety minister Paul Wheelhouse has revealed the funding request has been rejected.

Wheelhouse told STV: "The specific proposal that has been put to us is not one that we can accept. We feel there are a number of concerns about it.

"We've had an open discussion with SFA and the SPFL about the proposals but ultimately it's an issue for Scottish football to resolve and we're happy to work with the footballing authorities in doing so.

"But there are some concerns about the proposal that came forward. It's a hugely challenging time for public finances.

"We do recognise the financial constraints which football clubs are working within but we feel it's hard to justify expense on this when public resources are very much challenged at this moment in time.

"We do feel it's something Scottish football has to resolve itself and put it's house in order but we're willing to work with the footballing authorities and keen to do so."

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/facial-recognition-plans-set-scrapped-7442128#IDEmKMLpLtOks1Fg.99

I cannot understand why the football authorities in this country are trying to alienate the fans. The very people who keep them in a job.

With crowds dwindling all over the leagues they keep coming up with ideas to chase more of us away.

I dont get it.

I cannot understand why the football authorities in this country are trying to alienate the fans. The very people who keep them in a job.

With crowds dwindling all over the leagues they keep coming up with ideas to chase more of us away.

I dont get it.

It takes the attention away from the cock-up they have made Scottish football. Long term TV deals that are hardly worth mentioning. The Rangers cock-up etc. It is called, defend by attack.

I dont get it.

The day is approaching when clubs themselves will get heavy fines or points deductions for fan misbehaviour. Imo this will come about as politicians threaten closure of grounds unless they clean up their act. Naturally those running football don't want to spend any of their own money so turned to the taxpayer. For now they can tell the politicians they at least attempted some sort of action.

Surprise surprise, Was the £4m quoted for extra security on match days to stand at every turnstile to make sure fans adhere to facial recognition for example not wearing scarves over face, hats on with head faced down etc? A total pipedream from Doncaster.

The game is on its knee's financially and they want to bring in technology which isn't even being thought about in the top leagues in the world who make billions.

I know this will never happen and dont slaughter me cos im a newbie but the way things are heading with regards to our football authorities making up ridiculous schemes like this facial recognition stuff...politicians giving their twopence worth opinions on what fans should do, say or think I think all clubs fans should get together and have a one game boycott to make our feelings known or dont enter the grounds for first 15 mins. I really feel we should be making our feeling more vigorously.

I know its a daft notion but scottish football is on its ass and these fools think chasing away the core fans is gonna make whole families flock to enjoy the occassion. I really fear for the future with these idiots at the helm.