He was superb last night - although perhaps just hung onto the ball too long now and again - in the first half anyway.

If Biton and Tierney are worth £10m then McKay must be worth double.

Contract until: 30.06.2018

It was good to get him to extend, even if only for a year.

However what it suggests is that BMcK/agent thinks he is or will be worth more than Rangers could offer him over a longer deal.

You may well find some bids being made in the summer for McKay, he'll have certainly caught the attention of various teams with this season's performances. Then Rangers would have to decide if financially it was the time to cash in given his length of contract and uncertainties of football.

You get the feeling that regards squad mgmt, MW would prefer to keep him opposed to say having an extra X in the transfer kitty. If McKay does well next season his value would increase but by next summer this would be tempered by him only having a year left.

What this will probably show is that if players get to a certain level in Scotland then unless they are of the 'Lee Wallace School' they'll go or be encouraged by their agent to head to the land of milk and honey (especially from next season when TV money goes through roof).

I'm delighted he's finally coming good. I thought he was a real prospect when I first saw him in the third division; he was doing the same things as he is now, albeit not as successfully. He's a modern european-type player, technical rather than physical, which could easily have been overlooked in Scotland for a more physical player -- almost did with McCoist!

He's the model. If we can produce more players, or develop and encourage more technical players, we'll be creating a good foundation for the future.

The last player (recently -- relatively recently) -- there might have been others that I'm omitting -- I thought was a real prospect was John Fleck. I think his game was more technical than the norm up here, and it was wasted as a result.

Edited by Rousseau

The last player (recently -- relatively recently) -- there might have been others that I'm omitting -- I thought was a real prospect was John Fleck. I think his game was more technical than the norm up here, and it was wasted as a result.

John Fleck contributed to his own downfall. He lived in a house on his own and lived on a diet of nights out and pot noodles. Smoked like a chimney as well.

Current market value:

£131k

I don't think transfer market is very accurate to be honest.

It all depends on what sort of info you are looking for. TM will give you a "hardcore" fact-based idea what a player might be worth. Neither they nor anyone else will claim that this is the actual market value on any given day, as a number of factors won't be included. That said, you have to start somewhere and look at certain value-related criteria, if you decide to whip up such a market value on your website. And those criteria will be used for all players they have, whether he play in the EPL, Albania, or Japan.

So what will probably (!) be included ...

- the league where a player plays (and that league's standing in game)

- the country where he plays (and its standing in the rankings)

- the club where he plays (and its standing in the rankings)

- the age of the player

- the length of his contract

- his experience on national and international level

- goalkeeping stats / assists/ goals etc. within the lasts months

.... and the like.

What these prices will not include is ...

- does a club want to sell (which will push the price up)

- how many suitors are there (which might push the price up in a signature race)

- where these suitors come from (EPL / Engl. Championship who throw money about like confetti, even if not asked for that)

- a club's own value of the player (to its ambitions, plans etc.)

- the Stubbs-factor

- current form on the field of play

... and the like. TM can't give you exact transfer figures, as these last things are obviously variables they can't put any set figure on. Take Kierney, who is valued at roughly 500k, yet has a contract till 2019 and plays some decent stuff. Three or four EPL sides are looking for him, the Yahoos don't want to sell ... so they can put a price tag on him that exceeds his TM value by 8m. IF an EPL club wants to pay that, fine. It is an open market. TM though needs a system to price all players in their data ... a choice they made. for their site. If someone uses this or looks at a Fantasy League site or whatever is up to him/her. By default, TMs effort is commendable and if someone says "he is valued by TM at XYZ thousand", he auto-implies the above criteria, not a "true" market value.

Edited by der Berliner

I think if the club start hearing whispers of other clubs being interested, they need to go public with a valuation - and make it a ridiculous figure....£10-15M. Yes they will get some ridicule for it in the press, but the more it's mentioned, the more it gets about in the media & the more folk down south will hear about it and the more it becomes the accepted figure. In essence, that's what Ceptic tend to do - put out a vastly inflated valuation, then settle for a highly reduced but still over-priced fee.

The boy has been outstanding this season.....Coisty must be wondering where it all went wrong with McKay.

I think if the club start hearing whispers of other clubs being interested, they need to go public with a valuation - and make it a ridiculous figure....£10-15M. Yes they will get some ridicule for it in the press, but the more it's mentioned, the more it gets about in the media & the more folk down south will hear about it and the more it becomes the accepted figure. In essence, that's what Ceptic tend to do - put out a vastly inflated valuation, then settle for a highly reduced but still over-priced fee.

Is it not the media up here who start with these inflated values of Celtic players?

Wonder when they'll start doing it for us!