Is this Rangers strip for next season?

Never understood the NEED to have the latest top, ANY Rangers top should do. When I was young, where I lived, nobody had that luxury and as someone without kids - so with all due respect, it comes across as a bit like spoiling them and not teaching them to appreciate stuff. There is also an ethical lesson here that to me is a more valuable gift to kids than just indulgence in owning the latest stuff...

Understand what you are saying. you are right my newborn, or 2 year old, or 3 year old NEVER ever asked me for a Rangers strip but it's my choice to do that. And it's still my choice to buy them all and keep them for him when he's say 16.

My reason for doing so is I imagine how I would feel if my dad done that for me. I'd be absolutely delighted. And now a homeowner they would have taken great pride of place on the walls of my garage or spare room.

I'm confident my son will be chuffed in years to come.

I know I'm in the minority and I don't like doing so BUT I will buy it. For my son.

He turns 6 soon and I've got him every strip since he's been born, most of which are packed away and stored for when he's older.

I'm glad most continue to boycott however.

My EXACT dilemma too. My kid is 11 and I have them all from birth and his age on the back

My EXACT dilemma too. My kid is 11 and I have them all from birth and his age on the back

For me there are two ways you could go:

1 - continue to buy

2 - allow for the break, and buy him a Lionbrand top, you could then explain the reason for it etc etc.

Personally I would stick with 1 as my own reasons outweigh the notion of giving MA money. For what it's worth I don't think it will make much of a difference the ones like us who are still buying KIDS strips.

I think the thousands who have boycotted already have done the damage for us, and I applaud them for that. This will get sorted out in a court of Law I believe, not by sales.

Good time to stop or you're going to relegate him to the bench... ;)

But seriously, you now have a full house, the full set, the royal flush, the suite, to me it's logical that that's it... The trouble with things like that is that it can take over rationality and become obsessive.

I remember when I was 14 and buying a second hand copy of the first album of a band I liked so I'd have all of them. It took all my paper round money and more, and it was pants and I thought, did I really need that just to have a set? It was an epiphany - I then thought about the vast amount I'd spent when about 11 years old on Panini stickers, just to fill the album - and having no money for anything else.

Then I started seeing kids with collections on programmes like Blue Peter in a different light and saw how much tat they collected just because it fitted what they were interested in - like rabbit ornaments or something, and they'd have a really lame favourite. And I realised that people can get obsessed with having a set or continuing a tradition, even when it's not good for them or their savings and a lot of the time they don't even like some of the individual pieces much.

I think this is one of those times when it's not good for us and we should just take a deep breath and relax. Missing a few in a series won't really affect us in any tangible way - it's all psychological. Besides, I'm sure that if we get our income back in a few years, the club could easily be persuaded to reproduce kit from previous seasons, with all the money going to the right places.

I also think you could by the Lion Brand or the other one instead - and when you look back in future decades you can point to that and remember when you stood up for what you believed in and wouldn't give a parasite of the club another penny. For me, that's a better memory than a full set. Those LPs I mentioned have been in my mum's loft for about 25 years. I don't want them back. My Panini book has been burried in a land fill for another decade...

It's just not that important.

Never understood the NEED to have the latest top, ANY Rangers top should do. When I was young, where I lived, nobody had that luxury and as someone without kids - so with all due respect, it comes across as a bit like spoiling them and not teaching them to appreciate stuff. There is also an ethical lesson here that to me is a more valuable gift to kids than just indulgence in owning the latest stuff...

A lot of things have changed since you were a kid I imagine. It's also very easy to sit there judging people

If I work hard for my money why shouldn't I spend it how I want? Better to spend it on my son than spending it at the bookies, constantly in the pub or on fags.

Seems to be this new fad to talk down people spending money on things for their kids and this idea that all children will grow up without any understanding of working for things.

Thanks JTP as well, I shall check out the Lionbrand for kids.

The question is it for the kids or the parent's satisfaction?.

If the kids know what the current history is with fatman and understand it, that's fine, but if not don't disappoint them as I don't think the financial aspect will be that high.

You have a long time with your kids make it good.

I also have a some of the old Rangers strips but they are just taking up room in my wardrobe to be honest. I would say buy them a gold or silver RFC pendant instead of a top I have had one on my neck for years and felt lost when the chain broke last year and I had to do without it until I could afford a new chain. In the future they will appreciate that more than a bunch of old strips in the wardrobe.

I also saved the Rangers news for years even getting them sent over to Holland. When I was flitting and had to clear the loft they all ended up in the bin.

It is possibly a bit different for overseas bears. Like those mentioned above, I had bought my son the home, away and third kit since he was born as it was probably the one way in which I could demonstrate my support for the club. That changed when the details of the SD deal with Rangers became available and I reluctantly stopped buying at that time. Fortunately my son is now 17, and he is old enough to understand and quite happy that we invest in Rangers First as opposed to the club strips. If he was younger and used to getting the kits, it would be more difficult to explain. I really would be torn between supporting SD with my purchases or stopping altogether if he was 6 years old. Up to each individual to decide for themselves, I suppose.

A lot of things have changed since you were a kid I imagine. It's also very easy to sit there judging people

I didn't think I was judging, merely putting forward an alternative perspective.

If I work hard for my money why shouldn't I spend it how I want? Better to spend it on my son than spending it at the bookies, constantly in the pub or on fags.

Of course you can spend your money on what you like - doesn't mean others are not allowed an opinion on it. I really don't get the attitude of "how dare you judge me for doing whatever the hell I want".

Equally Ashley can also assert his contract if he likes and do what he wants. Does mean I have to think it's good or right or beneficial to society, or not be able to point out its flaws?

But to answer your question, no adult should just "spend money on what they like" as with all due respect once more, it's just not a mature way of thinking. It's what children tend to do but adults don't. As we grow up we learn to moderate our behaviour to take into account to the consequences and think about that first, as well as using our conscience. We should weigh up things and then make a conscious and thought out decision that we think is the best one under the circumstances. Freud called it the "superego".

Seems to be this new fad to talk down people spending money on things for their kids and this idea that all children will grow up without any understanding of working for things.

It's not new, it's pretty established - the phrase used for it for many generations is "spoilt brat". I didn't invent it and I'm NOT saying any of your kids are, or even sure that that extreme is relevant here, but I do find it surprising that the concept is new to you. It seems obvious to me that when kids ALWAYS get what they want whether it's things or treatment, they don't learn the value of things or develop as much empathy for others. You just have to watch Super Nanny to see what a lot of parents are doing wrong.

Can I point out that you can spend the SAME amount of money on kids with Lion Brand, so spending the money itself on kids is not the issue here - it's whether the buying what you want because you want it is more important than the consequences. Maybe in your case it is, but it's always worth stopping and thinking about it first.

None of what I've said was a personal judgement, it's about looking at it from a different viewpoint, and then working out if you see it the same.

I would never suggest to any bear or anyone for that matter, how to or not to spend their money. As everyone knows I sit in family sect so will buy my neice the top, probably one of the away tops. I'm not going to explain to an eight year old the complexities of the fat man's quagmire empire. Moreover I certainly won't impress my feelings on anyone else, it's personal choice. I know the boycott is there and understand why, however you can't start berating bears for buying merchandise if they wish, with their own hard earned money.

It's not the Miners strike Ffs!