Rangers-mad five year old sent home from school for having blue hair

Fair point, but coming from an education background there's also an argument to be made in favour of uniforms as a method of removing elements of social stigma. Everyone wearing the same removes the pressure from financially stricken families to keep up with more affluent neighbours. Nobody want's to be the 10yr old wearing old hand-me down clothes whilst the rest are in the latest trendy fashion.

Not saying it's right, just adding an additional consideration.

Knox, for all his faults, fundamental principle of educational universality even today some 500 years later has its detractors and indeed difficulties of which you make mention of one possible strand. Fortunately there has been enough forward thinking actors/actions over those years which encourages a variety of pedagogical approaches to accomplish the dissemination of knowledge across the diversity of social, cultural, economic, national and biological backgrounds. However in saying that there are still idolaters of the regimental variety who cry heretic at a 5 year old child for having the creativity to colour his hair BLUE!

EDIT: On review. Since its not particularly clear, from above, what it is that I'm arguing against in your comment. The issue for me is with the post-war 'modernists' mistaking uniformity for egalitarianism. The ideas rooted in the modernist period didn't fully show until the late 60's early 70's where it is particularly noticeable in the great concrete chicken coups that sprung up all across the UK as social housing projects. The residents of which were reduced to mere numbers, lacking a sense of pride and ownership in their homes or community. You may argue against that critique if you chose and it may also be harsh one on my part however the lack of social investment is clear as most of these project lay grey tired and abandoned today. In other words from my perspective what you describe is the same uniformity supplanted as egalitarian.

Post is heading towards the Lounge by the look of it.

Edited by Big Jaws

Totally unrelated and off topic I know but, living in Holland, how do you feel about the prospect of the old country 'Brexiting' as they put it? Will you feel cut off? Don't you think you should have a vote as an ex-pat?

I now live just over the border in Germany but still consider my life to be Dutch. I personally while I love Scotland don't see me ever returning to live there. My personal opinion would be that Britain would be better as an EU member as I think if two companies had similar products an EU member would buy from within the EU and not a company outwith the EU. I think some in Britain want their cake and eat it at the same time. I personally will not be affected as I already have Dutch nationality, speak Dutch fluently and I am slowly picking up German. I will survive here whether Britain are in or out. The only change for me in the future could be to move back to Holland and not Scotland. I like living in Germany but compared to Holland they live in the middle ages as well.

And as for that Hard working precision German workmanship forget it is my experience and what most Dutch people around me think is that their tradesmen are poor and unreliable.

Edited by pete

I now live just over the border in Germany but still consider my life to be Dutch. I personally while I love Scotland don't see me ever returning to live there. My personal opinion would be that Britain would be better as an EU member as I think if two companies had similar products an EU member would buy from within the EU and not a company outwith the EU. I think some in Britain want their cake and eat it at the same time. I personally will not be affected as I already have Dutch nationality, speak Dutch fluently and I am slowly picking up German. I will survive here whether Britain are in or out. The only change for me in the future could be to move back to Holland and not Scotland. I like living in Germany but compared to Holland they live in the middle ages as well.

And as for that Hard working precision German workmanship forget it is my experience and what most Dutch people around me think is that their tradesmen are poor and unreliable.

That's interesting; funny how stereotypes remain. I'm forever, in England, trying to face down the Harry Lauder 'mean Scot' caricature.

I hope Big Jaws doesn't mind as this really isn't an issue I'm bothered about one way or the other but

Q. Do you know who else did or does this?

A. Perm any number of combinations from regimes or religions.

is a little ironic when it's followed by

I don't care what any of you say

Which is pretty much the definition of faith.

I hope Big Jaws doesn't mind as this really isn't an issue I'm bothered about one way or the other but

is a little ironic when it's followed by

Which is pretty much the definition of faith.

I don't mind at all. But

Wait whut? :eek:

I don't care what any of you say about this sort of thing being a reflection of the real world and that dress codes are important because that is quite frankly conformist nonsense... they are not...

It has little to no educational value...

(the ellipsis means there is more text after the main point in this case supporting the conclusions drawn)

It is fairly clear to ALL that the premise laid out leads to the conclusion that this action has 'little educational value'. It points the reader towards the possibility of control being the motivating factor in such a case, albeit a subtext. In addition, the introduction of a 'dress code' that excludes ANY student from lessons or educational establishment, regardless of whether we are in agreement with ANY of his other thoughts or ideas, makes a mockery of John Knox original visionary tenet of universal education laid out in his 'The First Book of Discipline' which I most definitely agree with and without which we here writing on this board might not in fact have the necessary education in which to do so. The first sentence that the above quote was crowbarred from is obviously an existential condition, given the thread context, used to highlight an existing case and is clearly NOT a universal 'I don't care what any of you say' about ALL things!

Therefore I can only conclude that the above reply is disingenuous as it takes the subordinating conjunction of a conditional construct, gives it a completely new context and argues from that position.

Surely you realise that is the very definition of a straw man? :cheers:

Edited by Big Jaws
Spelling, formatting and adding aditional context

I don't mind at all. But

Wait whut? :eek:

It is fairly clear to ALL that the premise laid out leads to the conclusion that this action has 'little educational value'. It points the reader towards the possibility of control being the motivating factor in such a case, albeit a subtext. The first sentence that the above quote was brutally crowbarred out of is obviously an existential condition, given the thread context, used to highlight an existing case and is clearly NOT a universal 'I don't care what any of you say' about ANY thing!

Therefore I can only conclude that the above reply is disingenuous as it takes the subordinating conjunction of a conditional construct, gives it a completely new context and argues from that position.

Surely you realise that is the very definition of a straw man? :cheers:

I confess I thought the three wee dots was called an ellipsis. You learn something new every day!

Well...I'm still not convinced there's a massive substantive difference between 'I don't care what you say' about anything and 'I don't care what you say' about a specific; the end result is the same, an expression of complete belief in one's own position. And anyway, the main critical plank of my post was that if one has a dig at states or religions for being absolutist, one can hardly express absolutes oneself.

But ach...I did enjoy your post!

Edited by Germinal

You are correct it is and I changed it with the reasons in the edit.

I do take your point that it could be argued as an invincible ignorance fallacy however it is used in good faith if you pardon the pun. As in NOT a real world example. In the real world there are many different colours in many different combinations and by that I mean that we meet may different people all with different interests that are not necessarily constrained by their professions dress code. Just because you are a surgeon, lawyer or banker does not necessarily follow that you do not have inked tattoos for example. Therefore it is not as straight forward as blue/any colour being a disruption or distraction. If you follow.

Edited by Big Jaws