Guest pitchin

It's seems an unusual thing to say unless you were trying to hide how much you have to spend from the clubs that the players you want are at.

Why would DM & PLG say this & openly invite criticism on DM?

To make things worse.... the "few million" you mention Cammy is in Euros, not pounds - the exchange rate makes that even less appealing than it already was.

I hope, very much hope, that DM is simply keeping things close to his chest regarding funds available and that money WILL be spent as it NEEDS to be spent.

Hoping he is just preventing us from being over-charged for players by saying there isn't a lot of money available. If he is being honest though then if I were PLG I wouldn't be too happy about the situation he finds himself in so early.

Would DM really hoodwink a manager into signing with the financial backing he said would be there ?? Playing a very dangerous game if he has.

Frankie, as for the cash paying down the debt, I like to see debt being eliminated but I don't believe the club should be using ALL funds to clear debt - the PRODUCT still has to be of a sufficient standard, and if last season was anything to go by, money needs to be spent on the team to improve the standard.

Guest pitchin
But do you think clubs will buy it and reduce their prices because they feel sorry for us?

no but they will quote realistic transfer fees not over inflated prices just because they know you have a few quid to spend

But do you think clubs will buy it and reduce their prices because they feel sorry for us?

NOPE. But it might stop them from looking for more than a player is worth. However, to counter-act that statement the problem is that Clement is not only interesting Rangers but other French teams - so the chances of Lyon getting the 1M they want is quite high.

Rangers can't hold a club to ransom when the other club have offers which meet their valuation - seems to me that Gers are trying to get Clement on a cheap deal because the player himself wants to come here - but Lyon don't seem willing to budge on their asking price (why should they if they already have offers meeting their valuation ?) so if we really want the player then we have to pony up the money - it is an additional 300k - which surely isn't too much if PLG really likes the player - AND he is a youngster so hopefully has a higher sell on value if/when he produces the goods.

Guest pitchin

clement situation reminds me of the bazza situation at blackburn, other clubs of more money eg. everton etc but the players had his heart set on rangers

Clearing the debt does increase future funds due to not having big interest bills.

Yes it does calscot but if the product on the pitch is inferior then the club run the risk of more than negating the interest saved by not having CL football, not selling as many season tickets.

It is a balancing act, but one simply cannot be preferred over another. It is a well-known business fact that debt gearing (debt vs equity) shouldn't be zero as you don't get the best use of funds. In other words, it is widely accepted that it is GOOD to carry some level of debt.

I would love Rangers to be debt free and cash-rich - as a club they aren't so the debt has to be reduced but not at the exclusion of the product they are in the business of providing.