Proposed changes to Football League in England

I have no objections to anything you have said, it's fair comment and no doubt accurate regarding views in the South but in saying that I still think there is a chasm between Rangers and Celtic fans when it comes to acceptable behaviour or songs. The vast majority of what you mention regarding Rangers fans is anachronistic and likely wouldn't even be understood by the average person in England which given that fact would be unlikely to lead to any offence. How many in the South would have any idea what Billy Boys refers to?

The Celtic support on the other hand have a vast repertoire drawn from recent times which everyone will instantly grasp. They know what the IRA is and they know the IRA have murdered British soldiers and civilians both in Northern Ireland and on the British mainland.

Tack that on to continuing absue of current British soliders and the British army in general one example being not just a total lack of respect for remembrance day but deliberate and abusive actions to disrupt such things as a minutes silence on remembrance day and you're looking at a whole different ball game. How would THAT go down in the South if they happened to have a match in England on remembrance day and disrupted any activities?

And as far as the schools go well i'm as bamboozled by that as the English are but who is insisting on perpetuating that?

At least we would not be fighting on our own that is one thing but the Celtic(not football) minded seem to be experts in working their way in to positions of power. It would not surprise me if they were already in the uprising.

At least we would not be fighting on our own that is one thing but the Celtic(not football) minded seem to be experts in working their way in to positions of power. It would not surprise me if they were already in the uprising.

See the thing is aside from anything else Rangers fans are not displaying any hate or disloyalty to the nation they're living in which in itself would be bizarre. And who IS doing that? Which group chants abuse of our head of state aside from our army?

Let's take it a step further and say that Scotland had decided to go it alone after the indepndence election. What then? There is no British army so are they then just going to hate on the English while wanting to play in their league?

They're like a fifth column in their own country. There may indeed be things we would have to adjust if we were to go to the English leagues but you're talking more like minor tinkering in comparison to what they would have to do. For them it would be a roots up cultural revolution I believe they're entirely incapable of and 100% resistant to from the very word go.

Hi JfK - 1, I know who is perpetuating and I know all about how their songs and attitudes would appal (Though yours be surprised at how many would defend them). I was only talking about us and that they don't understand why what these see as historical issuess are still potent in Scotland. As for Billy Boys, only one line is well known, I'm afraid, and it is often used to bash us over the head.

Edited by SteveC

See the thing is aside from anything else Rangers fans are not displaying any hate or disloyalty to the nation they're living in which in itself would be bizarre. And who IS doing that? Which group chants abuse of our head of state aside from our army?

Let's take it a step further and say that Scotland had decided to go it alone after the indepndence election. What then? There is no British army so are they then just going to hate on the English while wanting to play in their league?

They're like a fifth column in their own country. There may indeed be things we would have to adjust if we were to go to the English leagues but you're talking more like minor tinkering in comparison to what they would have to do. For them it would be a roots up cultural revolution I believe they're entirely incapable of and 100% resistant to from the very word go.

I think you are mixing posts up as I have not mentioned any tinkering.

Obviously at Parkhead the carrot of the English pound is more important than the years of History they claim fighting the British rule. We have just had banners supporting the Easter Rising. They would seem to accept English rule if the price is right.

It was ever thus. "Hate the Crown, love the half crown" as the saying has it.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think it will ever happen,I said in another thread I was always against us moving to the English league as I believed it would kill the Scottish game,however I would take it now as I don't care about Scottish football anymore

Thanks Club Legend, I was interested if there was any shift in fans views on this subject given recent events, whilst hopefully not appearing to denegrate Scottish football.

That's something I hadn't thought of Pete, as Celtic always mentioned in the same breath as Rangers when anyone considers this - I expect its the media wanting either wanting to appear impartial or just being lazy. But if asked, yes I'd expect Celtic to turn it down.

I agree JFK, in addition to their cultural standing, there would be an upsurge in match day violence as all of those clubs fans I mentioned in my original post would have no truck with that kind of anti British chanting or denigration of the flag. I cannot see it happening if I'm honest, but would just love it if Rangers proactively began discussions with the FL just to test the water. That would worry the SFA and prompt a reaction from Celtic - then and only then will we see if all those decades of will be swept away for the sake of the British Pound!!!