Gordon Parks: Hampden Cup Final shame is a sign of society's wider problems

It’s an interesting debate indeed. Was there not a poll among Old Firm fans prior to the Referendum that showed more Gers fans were in favour of a Yes vote? From my own circles of family and friends, the overwhelming majority of No voters were all Celtic fans and I’m married into an Irish catholic family. From the 8 close mates of mine that are Rangers fans, 7 of them were all Yes voters and all 8 of them were Atheists. (I literally don’t know an actual Protestant to be honest) I think there is a large number of people who would use their in a referendum/election based on the perceived prejudice and bias against/for their team and fair doos to them but I’ll be honest I’ve never once entered the ballot box with Rangers in mind. I think it’s easy for the press and other people to generalise about the Rangers fan base but I’m sure if there was a survey showing the political, social and cultural breakdown the fans, many people would be very surprised.

It's not really about religion in Scotland as such is it? Chances are the majority of people in Scotland are basically atheist as I am so why would anyone care about any religious doctrine that has no relevance for them? I don't care any more about religious mythology than I do about Santa mythology.

It's a form of tribalism that's rampant in Scotland with granted the tribes tending to form around a nominally religious stance even though they aren't religious. Might be more accurate to describe it as British v Irish. Whether some may like it or not we are British and no one seems to be acknwledging that the core root of this is an Irish element abusing the British flag and head of state all while voluntarily living under that flag and head of state.

I don't know if people outside the bizarre situation actually grasp that and think it's a religious divide when at core it isn't really. I don't know if even the English grasp that.

It's not really about religion in Scotland as such is it? Chances are the majority of people in Scotland are basically atheist as I am so why would anyone care about any religious doctrine that has no relevance for them? I don't care any more about religious mythology than I do about Santa mythology.

It's a form of tribalism that's rampant in Scotland with granted the tribes tending to form around a nominally religious stance even though they aren't religious. Might be more accurate to describe it as British v Irish. Whether some may like it or not we are British and no one seems to be acknwledging that the core root of this is an Irish element abusing the British flag and head of state all while voluntarily living under that flag and head of state.

I don't know if people outside the bizarre situation actually grasp that and think it's a religious divide when at core it isn't really. I don't know if even the English grasp that.

Christ. I'm Scottish and I don't begin to understand it

Religion and churches,chapel ,mosques etc. are just a pedestal for brainwashing as was the likes of Martin Luther King,ISIS, and all other Evangelists ,bible thumpers and the rest.The only true voters are those who have their own mind and can make decisions without influence of others.

I'm Scottish and I don't understand why we tolerate and pay for what's basically the Irish segregating themselves in seperate schools and THAT'S where the tribalism begins. If we were forcing them to do that it would be called apartheid and it actually even goes beyond just bare segregation. A priest decides who is fit to be a teacher?

THE controversial requirement for teachers at Catholic schools to be vetted by a priest before they are given a job has come under fire from headteachers.

It's refreshing to hear so many like minded people. At times reading the various media outlets I can't help but feel like the only one who sees religion as completely mental. Just watched Religulous by bill maher the total reluctance to discuss why people believe certain things is firstly amusing then your hit with a feeling of fear as the reality of the situation and the inevitable consequences of these beliefs becomes apparent

Are Protestants allowed to go to Catholic schools? May sound a stupid question but they are in Holland. I will say though that the catholic schools in Holland are just ordinary schools with no religious teachings.

Are Protestants allowed to go to Catholic schools? May sound a stupid question but they are in Holland. I will say though that the catholic schools in Holland are just ordinary schools with no religious teachings.

Non Catholics are not allowed into Catholic schools in Scotland I believe, you can only be Catholic if one of the child's parents attend Mass for a minimum of 6 weeks. That deems the kid an 'official' Catholic and therefore qualifies for Catholic education. Crazy here in Scotland. Non Catholic schools have Rangers and C*ltic supporters in the same classrooms, nothing wrong with that of course.

Non Catholics are not allowed into Catholic schools in Scotland I believe, you can only be Catholic if one of the child's parents attend Mass for a minimum of 6 weeks. That deems the kid an 'official' Catholic and therefore qualifies for Catholic education. Crazy here in Scotland. Non Catholic schools have Rangers and C*ltic supporters in the same classrooms, nothing wrong with that of course.

Not sure about the above tbh. My wee boy goes to a Catholic school (long story...) and in his class there are Pakistani and Chinese kids so I'm not sure how that works? I take a back seat with all the "protocol" as my wife is a Catholic therefore we didn't have to do anything. Not sure what happens with the Asian kids?

In what way does my church (CoS) brainwash me?

Would never want to belittle someone's beliefs and everyone should be free to believe what they want, it just leaves those of us who realise it is complete crap worried about the sanity of people who can believe such obviously made up and doctored doctrine. Especially when those people go on to hold high office.Should I want someone who can believe without evidence,can disregard evidence to the contrary and believes that god will end the world and in doing so he will meet his god, being in charge of things like the nuclear arsenal?

Do you believe in Adam and Eve and the whole garden part where man and animals where made at the same time? Could go on and on about the bible and how Jesus is just Horus but rejigged to entice the masses.

Please do not be offended bluedell its honestly just my beliefs and not for the sake of annoying anyone just leaves me baffled how people can follow when so many holes are apparent

Can understand the believing in a maker but religion is just man's way of controlling other men