Gordon Parks: Hampden Cup Final shame is a sign of society's wider problems

Gordon Waddell's summing up of who did what poorly would carry more weight if he hadn't forgotten to include the media reaction. For all they say we are 'blaming the messenger ' won't wash if the messenger is deciding what the message is - the daily record story being a prime example.

Very true,the media want to set the agenda and are seething that we ,at last ,are not having it.

The point raised by sectarianism is in someways correct but it should point out that the so called religions and their followers are the main cause of wars and conflicts throughout the planet and not just the silly divide attributed to the West of Scotland

Rule Brittania and God save the Queen gets booed and seems to generate a lot of hatred from opposition fans. So if we sing them is that inciting violence?

Scotland has as far as I can remember always been divided by religion. The independence movement added gasoline to that already burning fire. Until those in charge face up to the problem and the causes it's only going to get worse

Rule Brittania and God save the Queen gets booed and seems to generate a lot of hatred from opposition fans. So if we sing them is that inciting violence?

Scotland has as far as I can remember always been divided by religion. The independence movement added gasoline to that already burning fire. Until those in charge face up to the problem and the causes it's only going to get worse

What did religion have to do with the Indy debate?

" But not as much as Rangers have managed to diminish theirs in the days since. Their statements on Saturday and Sunday were the polar opposite of good PR – they were public retaliations, not public relations. "

And don't you forget it mate ! We are heartily fed up with suffering PR garbage when answering lies and twisted reporting.

Rangers made a statement pointing at where the blame lies. The statement wasn't wrong in any way.

Rather than calling it "public retaliation" how about just recognising it as telling the truth ?

Not really I can see where people get that opinion from. Britain and especially the Union Jack is synonymous with the prodestant religion in Scotland. Anything like this should be thought of in majorities. Guessing but I would say the majority of Scotland's Catholics voted to leave the union while the majority of prodestants voted to stay. Obviously it's all subjective but think most people see Union Jack and think prodestant. The SNP in my opinion last week have shown without a doubt in my mind that they do not care for or look out for those they regard as pro British whether they consider those people by affiliation to be prodestant is pretty much impossible to tell.Rangers fans are regarded as being pro British and Prodestant for most that seems to go hand in hand even though if you took a consensus I would bet most of our support would lean toward atheists.

Don't know if anyone has ever done a split of the vote by religion would be interested in seeing it personally. I would strongly suggest based on nothing more than my circle of friends work colleagues etc that the vast majority of the 17% of the population who are classed as Catholic would have mostly voted for independence and the opposite for the percentage of Prodestants.

Not really I can see where people get that opinion from. Britain and especially the Union Jack is synonymous with the prodestant religion in Scotland. Anything like this should be thought of in majorities. Guessing but I would say the majority of Scotland's Catholics voted to leave the union while the majority of prodestants voted to stay. Obviously it's all subjective but think most people see Union Jack and think prodestant. The SNP in my opinion last week have shown without a doubt in my mind that they do not care for or look out for those they regard as pro British whether they consider those people by affiliation to be prodestant is pretty much impossible to tell.Rangers fans are regarded as being pro British and Prodestant for most that seems to go hand in hand even though if you took a consensus I would bet most of our support would lean toward atheists.

Don't know if anyone has ever done a split of the vote by religion would be interested in seeing it personally. I would strongly suggest based on nothing more than my circle of friends work colleagues etc that the vast majority of the 17% of the population who are classed as Catholic would have mostly voted for independence and the opposite for the percentage of Prodestants.

It’s an interesting debate indeed. Was there not a poll among Old Firm fans prior to the Referendum that showed more Gers fans were in favour of a Yes vote? From my own circles of family and friends, the overwhelming majority of No voters were all Celtic fans and I’m married into an Irish catholic family. From the 8 close mates of mine that are Rangers fans, 7 of them were all Yes voters and all 8 of them were Atheists. (I literally don’t know an actual Protestant to be honest) I think there is a large number of people who would use their vote in a referendum/election based on the perceived prejudice and bias against/for their team and fair doos to them but I’ll be honest I’ve never once entered the ballot box with Rangers in mind. I also think it’s easy for the press and other people to generalise about the Rangers fans but I’m sure if there was a survey showing the political, social and cultural breakdown the wider fan base, many people would be very surprised.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

As for the independence debate, I'd suggest poorer people were more likely to support independence whereas richer people wouldnt. Not sure I'd agree it's down to religion. There were some prominent RC's in the NO camp