Club 1872 increase Ibrox stake to become 6th largest shareholder

Club 1872 is delighted to announce the purchase of a further 310,280 shares in Rangers International Football Club PLC.

This takes the number of shares held by Club 1872 to 4,900,776 which represents 6.01% of the total shares in RIFC PLC.

This also now makes Club 1872 the 6th largest individual shareholder in RIFC PLC.

We would like to thank everyone who has contributed to Club 1872 for their continued support. Your support makes purchases like this possible. We would also encourage all Rangers supporters to join Club 1872 and play a central role in ensuring that our club is secured for generations to come.

Click here for more info:

http://club1872.co.uk/news/club-1872-share-announcement/

Edited by Frankie

I still think I'd prefer the cash to go into the club rather than to 3rd party shareholders. :hm:

I agree entirely. At the moment the club is in safe hands so the need to get shares into the hands of bears is not as urgent as it was 18 months ago. As such Club 1872 should be waiting until the money raised by fans can be invested directly into the club, and not paying off 3rd party investors. Very poor decision.

I agree entirely. At the moment the club is in safe hands so the need to get shares into the hands of bears is not as urgent as it was 18 months ago. As such Club 1872 should be waiting until the money raised by fans can be invested directly into the club, and not paying off 3rd party investors. Very poor decision.

Disagree with this - the value of this purchase of shares is approx 75k... the club couldn't do much with that if it was handed over... to be frank that is a drop in the ocean compared to buying players or doing anything with a football club really.

The way i look at is this is a long term game now. Build up a decent shareholding, get into the position to be a real influence (i dont know what % that is... say 20%+ or something) then we can start to use the money that is hopefully still being given to 1872 on a monthly basis to fund various initiatives be that players or facilities or coaches... whatever. Whatever the number is a nice addition to the budget every year for the manager and keep some aside for a rainy day.

As much as i trust D. King and co I would rather not hand a penny over to them for a number of years so we can get C1872 into a place of being a big influential member of the board.

Disagree with this - the value of this purchase of shares is approx 75k... the club couldn't do much with that if it was handed over... to be frank that is a drop in the ocean compared to buying players or doing anything with a football club really.

The way i look at is this is a long term game now. Build up a decent shareholding, get into the position to be a real influence (i dont know what % that is... say 20%+ or something) then we can start to use the money that is hopefully still being given to 1872 on a monthly basis to fund various initiatives be that players or facilities or coaches... whatever. Whatever the number is a nice addition to the budget every year for the manager and keep some aside for a rainy day.

As much as i trust D. King and co I would rather not hand a penny over to them for a number of years so we can get C1872 into a place of being a big influential member of the board.

75k in the clubs hands is still better than ZERO in the club's hands and 75k in the hands of a disinterested 3rd party. It may "only" be 75k, but what if Club 1872 do the same thing 10 times for 750k ? The quantum isn't the issue here, it is the principle.

18 months ago we had charlatans running the Club so purchasing on the open market made sense. Now we have good custodians looking after the Club's best interests - therefore there is little need, at this point, to purchase in the open market - better to have that money going into the Club when a share issue is made.

If it is "only" 75k then why even bother making the purchase ? Why not just wait if it is no big deal ?

It wouldn't be handing money over to D. King and co - it would be an investment into the Club - surely you see the preference of that rather than the money going to a 3rd party with no emotional interest in the Club whatsoever ? And you are, by deduction, saying that you would rather Club 1872 bought the shares on the open market rather than give the money to King ?? Which means that Club 1872 increases its shareholding (which is great) but that the Club get ZERO of the funds used to purchase (which is terrible).

Just looking at your "20%" number - you do realise that by purchasing the way they have been, Club 1872, if that 75k was equivalent to 1% shareholding (which it wont be, that is VERY conservative) then getting to 20% is another 14 such purchases - which is 1.05 million.... not quite so small now huh ?

You are arguing on the one hand that this isn't much of a purchase and the Club couldn't do much with it - and then arguing that Club 1872 should look to increase their shareholding..... which automatically means, right now, that the 75k becomes a far bigger number.

Every single penny that is invested should end up in the Club's hands IMHO - not the hands of outsiders. The Club isn't in the same danger from "investors" therefore the urgency isn't there anymore - so this was a purchase that wasn't necessary.

Edited by craig

We are nowhere near being in a position where we can be blasé about £75K. What could we do with it? Improve the stadium? Help meet our obligations towards the disabled regulations?

Why wait? Why not get the cash into the club now? Surely it's better in the club than in the hands of someone where it's of no benefit to Rangers?

So again give away the cash and not give it to the club?

I really don't get this logic.

We are nowhere near being in a position where we can be blasé about £75K. What could we do with it? Improve the stadium? Help meet our obligations towards the disabled regulations?

Why wait? Why not get the cash into the club now? Surely it's better in the club than in the hands of someone where it's of no benefit to Rangers?

So again give away the cash and not give it to the club?

I really don't get this logic.

Have to admit to being ignorant to the problems with the disabled facilities. And i cant really disagree with anything you say, you are bang on about 75k being more useful to the club than some unknown entity that sold 300k shares. But having seen what has happened the past few years i like taking this defensive approach by building up a decent shareholding that should prevent these things happening again in the future. To be honest if C1872 decided to change tact and start giving the money to the club then i for one would stop my contribution. I cant really explain it well with words to rightly defend myself for this decision. Like i said this is a long term game for me and I like the idea in the future of having a significant portion of the club fan owned.