Dave King response #8.

Okay, SINCE WHEN did a Rangers manager had a hand in the weekly wages of a player? You can chase managers for the choice of players, but wages? And as for choice of players, that is such a subjective matter that much of any reasonable discussion goes out of the window, just think of Vuckic.

BTW GS, the team went downhill in Ally's first season when the whole Whyte fiasco became apparent. You may perhaps blame him for the exit in Europe, but I tend to blame players rather than coaches first and foremost, in this case inept displays from e.g. Whittaker. But again, that is quite subjective ... and has been done to death by now. And no repeat will change your or my opinion on that, or make it "more" valid.

Kevin Kyle said as much in an interview he expected maybe £500 a week and he was offered 4 or 5 times that by McCoist. Which yes would have came from the board but for a professional football manager to go yeah he's worth that. That's utterly shocking.

Kevin Kyle said as much in an interview he expected maybe £500 a week and he was offered 4 or 5 times that by McCoist. Which yes would have came from the board but for a professional football manager to go yeah he's worth that. That's utterly shocking.

I'd almost forgotten he played for us :facepalm:. Another win for Ally.

While I agree we spent too much on certain players of an average standard, I think people tend to try to argue both sides of it.

I don't think you can argue that they were worth much less and then complain that McCoist had as much bigger a budget than other managers than the accounts suggest. It's got to be one or the other. If the players weren't worth it then his budget was effectively much less.

It also has to be recognised that we were a bit toxic at the time, were shopping for players in short period of time that were almost all free agents, and were playing in the lowest league. Good luck with getting good value for money in that scenario.

The same paradoxical argument is used when saying McCoist had more money to spend than MW which means the latter was a better coach, but then argue Warburton had a better team.

So you have to pick your criticism, as they are not mutually compatible. Either McCoist was bad at buying a team for the money, or he had great players who he caused to play crap. If you go for both, then McCoist had shit players and made them worse, and so the marginal difference in results by Warburton who had a much better team, once again, makes him look really poor, except that they are nice to watch.

That's just nonsense. His budget was what it was and he spent it poorly.

There's two parts to it. He didn't get value for what he spent. Either through poor choices or bad management.

He chose to spend it on players who were on the way down not up.

His whole philosophy was wrong.

Edited by the gunslinger

You mean 2k a week for a Glasgow Rangers player is shocking? BTW, McCoist was also out to actually sign people he deemed necessary and of whom he thought could do a job. That they failed is partly to blame on him, but not solely.

I could just as easily say "any manager signing Ian Black should have been hunted". Works just as well for me.

Honestly, personal opinion on one player is no serious argument. We signed duds throughout our history, be that Advocaat, Walter, or PSG. But McCoist is getting the roughest ride of the lot ... and as I said, players where sure lining up to sign for us in the fourth and third tier ...

You blame the players for them returning to pre-season training a mere two weeks before a European tie ????

You really want to test me here with an argument about brainless UEFA qualification rules? To hammer McCoist? We could easily have played and trained on through the summer, of course ...

BTW, the season he went unbeaten in the league with his "poor lot" is apparently taken as a given and devalued as if it never happened. For he ... did not win the Challenge Cup in one of the freakiest finals you will ever see. Or he bowed out in the League Cup or FA Cup too ... despite having to deal with sub-standard players.

Honestly, the McCoist bashing is well and truly in full swing here and I don't think there is any use continuing a debate.

Edited by der Berliner