Scottish Cup Final: Police release images of 13 men

Disagree.

Rangers had, say, 200 on the pitch and Hibs had, say, 5,000 on the pitch - and you think that arrests should be 50:50 ? Not for me - the vast majority of the disturbance took place by Hibs fans. You cant say "There were two teams, two sets of supporters and therefore we need to arrest the same from each side" - not when the disturbance took place primarily because of the actions of ONE set of fans.

Judicial integrity is nothing to do with being "even-handed" in the numbers you arrest. Judicial integrity is bringing to justice those that have broken the law, no matter what team they support.

I think Compos tongue was firmly in his cheek with the comment Craig. :seal:

I also have a notion that I may once have read about an article of law regarding behavior likely to cause further riotous behaviour among others which I would say nicely covers EVERY hibs fan on that pitch even aside from those who were in Rangers fans faces antagonising them.

If that law actually does exist which to me sounds fairly credible the next question is how many Rangers fans would have been on that pitch if none of those morons had entered it?

It further seems credible to me that there would have been none which makes EVERY retaad from their end who flooded on to that pitch guilty of behaviour likely to cause riotous behaviour among others.

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of thread necromancy, as the DR has an article form "their" Rangers supporter regarding the final and some letters sent to Bears these days. "Interestingly enough", the article is accompanied by these pictures ...

Wonder who will get charged and convicted here:

JS90689753.jpg

... and whether the compliance officer will have a phone call with Rob ...

JS90739714.jpg

Rangers Record FC: It is time to put tribal allegiance to one side and condemn thugs after Hampden shame

by Jonathan​McFarlane

OUR Ibrox blogger goes to town on the fans that fought on the pitch in the aftermath of Hibs' 3-2 Scottish Cup final triumph.

AS we look back with cool heads on a day of intense emotion after a tumultuous Scottish Cup Final, a sense of perspective should loom large in our thoughts.

In a week that has seen fans soberly opening letters from the club’s Head of Security David Martin starkly informing them of an indefinite ban from home and away matches, perhaps it’s time to properly reflect on the events of that day.

Many have already taken to social media in condemnation of the clubs action. I cannot join them.

Supporting a football club is not an intellectual exercise, it can’t really be defined by logic or reason, it’s something that’s simply felt (and felt deeply). We care about our clubs in a way that goes beyond what makes sense to those that don’t follow the game, or probably, our own rational analysis.

We continue because ultimately, belonging is a wonderful thing, perhaps the strongest facet of the human experience.

Sometimes though, you have to put your tribal allegiances aside and allow the logic and rational parts of your brain to function. Put simply, in the name of ‘support’ you cannot defend the indefensible.

Yet that’s what many have been doing, finding ways to justify the actions of a minority of Rangers fans who responded idiotically and dangerously to Hibs fans provocation.

Simply, those who invaded the pitch that day at Hampden have no place attending games anymore.

Their day of empty masculinity expressed through the prism of stale Tennents and revolting,caffeinated Tonic Wine has come and gone. They shame us all.

The club themselves are not exempt from blame in this regard. The statement released after the game was rabble-rousing in the extreme, taking pot-shots at everyone from journalists to the First Minister.

It was an angry reaction to a problem that required cool reflection and a clear and cynical attempt to capture the mood rather than take a position of clear leadership.

In it, the club said correctly that the fans had been extremely provoked but in stating ‘any supporters would have done the same’ they have plunged themselves into a very deep moral vortex.

What are we to believe? The actions of the club, or the statement? Even more pressingly, does the left hand even know what the right hand is doing?

The fans, who have had season tickets revoked indefinitely, have been told that their arrest is a breach of the ‘ground rules and regulations’ and ‘brings the reputation of the club into disrepute’.

Of course they have the right to due process, and the letters have been rightly criticised by some for not having a process of appeal explained within the letter.

I would be astonished if the club hadn’t already collected evidence of wrongdoing prior to sending these letters and this tactic isn’t just the most straight-forward legal way to invalidate their ability to attend matches.

The problem with these arguments, valid as they are, is that they focus attention away from the core issue which is that of dealing with bad behaviour within our own ranks. There are a million and one reasons why Hibs fans were out of order in this instance but that does not fall within our zone of influence.

What does is the behaviour of those around us and ensuring that guys who don’t meet the club’s high standards are removed accordingly.

In a globalised world where the club is competing frantically for the affections of future generations, Rangers cannot afford to allow their good name tarnished or individuals with a propensity for bad behaviour to attend games and cause problems that drag us all through the gutter.

They must be dealt with.

A violent Rangers fan is still a violent individual, and violent individuals have no place in our society, no matter what scarf he wears.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/sport/rangers-record-fc-time-put-8514552#FpSwsVw4fQp54E4R.97

He is right to a degree, i.e. that unruly/lawful behaviour needs to be dealt with - in an appropriate way. But much of the above is pure rubbish, as it lay next to every blame on us and our fellow Bears. Perhaps Jonathan's veil has slipped ...

The main point is that it will be Rangers people and their names who will be dragged into the gutter, and proportionally much more than what will happen to Hibs and their thousands of idiots on the park. But that is beyond "our" influence, he says. No, it is not. And people like him won't help our cause.

He is now accusing everybody of being drunk as well as being violent. The fact is many of the top hooligans these days don't drink alcohol as that will diminish their fighting ability. Many train at a sport school and are super fit. I agree these are probably not the hooligans that were on the park as the real hooligan fights are more organised.

Reference that blog!

It reminds me of the behaviour of the then Sports Editor of Scotland on Sunday, Kevin McKenna. Twenty-odd years past, we played Aberdeen at Ibrox on a Friday evening. Whilst Andy Cameron was on the pitch doing the half time draw, a Dandy Don ran from the Broomloan stand to the halfway line. He kicked and pushed over an unseeing Cameron. He was quickly arrested and huckled from the pitch. He appeared in court on the Monday, charged with Breach, found guilty, and was fined. He was in his early twenties and a member of the Stirling(Uni) based Aberdeen supporters club called, 'the H-u-nhunters'. Their banner was always at Ibrox during fixtures between the clubs.

Scotland on Sunday had an occasional columnist, 'Sydney Barrett', A nomme de guerre utilised to have digs at Rangers. Sydney found the actions of the Dandy to be hilarious, and agreed with the objective Host of BBC Radio Scotland's coverage, Richard Gordon; that it could be argued the pitch invader was providing a public service. Andy Cameron was then a fellow BBC Radio Scotland Presenter, hosting a Sunday morning request show. I am not a fan of Prawg Rawk, but I knew Sydney had been a founder member of Pink Floyd. Inquiries came back with the same name, Kevin McKenna.

Kevin had been allowed to resign his Editorship of ra Sellik View three-four years before. At an event being hosted by an Italian football magazine reference the Old Firm, a drunken McKenna had made it on to the front pages of the national dailies. He reasoned that the IRA bombing of Enniskillen Remembrance had been a justified act of war, and threw in, "Protestants breed like rabbits". He was not sacked, and pitched up a few years later as Sports Editor of a Sunday broadsheet. Since, he has been Deputy Editor of the Herald, Observer columnist, Assistant Editor at the Daily Mail, ......... etc.

Now, it may be someone can verify the credentials of Mr McFarlane as a Bear? However, I wonder if Murray Foote has allowed Jane Hamilton a nomme de guerre?

We should be told.

I don't know Jonny's background but he's certainly real as I know his wife.

I have just viewed another forum where they have found pictures of him in an Aberdeen t-shirt, and contains a number of images of Easter Road with the strapline, 'Come on Hibs'.