[FT] Motherwell 0 - 2 Rangers (Tavernier 48; Waghorn 90)

We hadly know the fitness levels of most players, but I would assume that we'll be at them full throttle ...

Foderingham

Tavernier - Kiernan / Hill - Wilson - Wallace

Holt - Halliday - Windass

O'Halloran - Waghorn - McKay / Forrester

What games were these?

Generally, and just as a wee reminder, transfermarkt is a fine source for getting such info. In this case ...

Main page

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/glasgow-rangers/startseite/verein/124

Halliday

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/andy-halliday/profil/spieler/59543

His performance data

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/andy-halliday/leistungsdaten/spieler/59543

... and there, on the right, you get all the positionshe was utilized (and at which club).

What games were these?

I can't recall really, and it's not worth trudging through the games to find out. I suppose it would be the games where Ball played DM? Which there were a few -- well, 7 to be exact!

Edited by Rousseau

He may look better, but I think Halliday is more effective; the stats suggest as much: Halliday has played attacking midfield 7 times, with 3 goals and 1 assist. While Holt has played there 32 times, with 6 goals and 2 assists. Even from a deeper position Halliday has scored the same as Holt and, crucially, assisted more.

I like Holt a lot, but I think Halliday may be preferred.

So you are judging someone's performance by only looking at 2 areas and ignoring all others? I guess all these great runs he made were worthless.

How many of his goals were penalties? How many were against opposition from a lower league? You presumably don't know given you don't know what the 7 games are.

Halliday more effective than Holt add an attacking midfielder? I guess it proves that you can justify anything with the use of statistics.

Re Holt and Halliday ... we used Holt as an attacking right sided midfielder last season, whereas Halliday was our main holding/central/defensive midfielder. How Halliday would perform further up front with us (sic!) on a more regular basis is anyone's guess. Now that Barton and Rossiter are prime candidates for Halliday's position of last season, we may see more of him in an attacking sense, perhaps in left midfield. Pending on the opposition and venue, we may even decide to play two central midfielders and here I doubt that Rossiter will be an immediate starter.

Edited by der Berliner

I have my doubts about Barton even being on the bench for this one but aside from who will play for us the opposition has to be thoroughly researched. If it transpires that they have any cops, taxi drivers, or pizza delivery guys in that team then they must be treated like Barcelona.

So you are judging someone's performance by only looking at 2 areas and ignoring all others? I guess all these great runs he made were worthless.

How many of his goals were penalties? How many were against opposition from a lower league? You presumably don't know given you don't know what the 7 games are.

Halliday more effective than Holt add an attacking midfielder? I guess it proves that you can justify anything with the use of statistics.

Calm down, mate. I really don't care that much. It was just my opinion that Halliday may be preferred to Holt in the coming season. I can see Halliday playing because I think he's more 'effective', i.e. he's scored more goals, even from deep - but yes, you are correct it was probably penalties more than anything else, and a few free-kicks also. But, I think the more assists is maybe a better judge. You're right in regards to runs, Holts movement is far superior and that probably is quite beneficial to the players around him. We can't ignore the leadership skills of Halliday too.

The games he played AM were against Hibs, Falkirk, Kilmarnock, QotS, Peterhead, Dundee and Celtic. Arguably our hardest games?

Again, I like Holt a lot, but I think Barton will be a shoe-in for DM, which means, I think, that Halliday and Holt may be fighting for the same spot -- although they have played together before on opposite sides? -- and so I was merely making the point that Halliday may be preferred. The stats do suggest Halliday is more 'effective' in terms of Goals and Assists, but you are right that that excludes all those runs Holt makes.