Gordon Smith’s Premiership Preview

Rangers need Celtic to make Euro elite if they are to challenge

Gordon Smith

IT might go against the grain for them, but Rangers fans should be hoping for Celtic success in Kazakhstan this week – and beyond.

I say that because unless the Hoops have the distraction of a Champions League group campaign, I believe they are going to finish above their old rivals in the Premiership table at the end of this season

You don’t need to look beyond the fact they have won the last five titles in a row to know they are a formidable force in the Scottish game, no matter who is their manager.

If they do make Europe’s elite club competition, however, I think even all the managerial and financial resources Brendan Rodgers can call on might not be enough to keep the Light Blues at bay.

The Rangers supporters have been waiting four years for a return to the top flight, and will make an extra effort to get behind the team in the forthcoming campaign.

With their backing, I can see them winning the majority of their home games, and a good percentage of their away fixtures too.

As Aberdeen can testify from their failed tilt at Celtic two years ago – when their record of 0 points out of a possible 12 against the Hoops cost them the title – you have to punch your weight in the head-to-heads.

Therefore Rangers’ success in the Scottish Cup semi-final last season should be a huge confidence-booster ahead of the Old Firm match ups to come in the Premiership this season.

It doesn’t guarantee them any return for the first derby at Celtic Park in September. But it will make the experience easier.

Manager

THE way Mark Warburton has gone about his business has really impressed me. He has done things the right way.

While Rangers won promotion comfortably last season, everyone knew there were weaknesses, and areas that needed to be strengthened.

He has done that by bringing in almost an entire team of new faces. But he has been very, very clever by also retaining many of last season’s first-team regulars

So the ones who got the club back to the top flight have not been discarded. Instead they’ve been told: “You are in and it is up to you to show me you deserve to retain your spot.”

That’s a move that has generated genuine competition for places, something they lacked last season.

Most important player

IT has to be Joey Barton. At 33, he has a wealth of experience at the top level, and while Scotland is a new environment for him, he should prosper.

He also has leadership qualities, and if he plays half as well as he has talked since signing for Rangers, he’ll light up the Premiership.

Finishing position

RUNNERS-UP

With the signings Warburton has made, plus the nucleus of the Championship-winning side, I am pretty sure they are going to be too strong for the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts.

Celtic are a different matter, but I do expect them to push Rodgers and his

players all the way.

https://www.sundaypost.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/gordon-smiths-premiership-preview-rangers-need-celtic-make-euro-elite-challenge/

I disagree with him on who out most important player is. A month ago I would have agreed.... But now, for me, our most important player is Barry McKay, closely followed by Niko Kranjcar, and Barton in 3rd place...

Not a bad place to be..... The Championship player of the year is "only" your 3rd most influential player...

I have to say that I haven't watched Barton's career as a footballer that closely and he will be given a clean slate, like all of our signings. Given from what I have heard, I wouldn't be surprised if Scottish refs and players give him some chagrin just to "welcome" him to the Scottish game, much like they did with Souness. But we will see.

As craig said, IMHO, our most important player will be McKay - and he has been given the No. 10 shirt for a reason. And while we look at him and his performances, we should always keep in mind that he is but 21.

I disagree with him on who out most important player is. A month ago I would have agreed.... But now, for me, our most important player is Barry McKay, closely followed by Niko Kranjcar, and Barton in 3rd place...

Not a bad place to be..... The Championship player of the year is "only" your 3rd most influential player...

Kranjcar is patently not fit yet but still hugely impressive. In his first 5 minutes on the pitch I saw him ping a pass from one wing to the other that landed right at the feet of McKay who was in acres of space because the opposition saw no threat with the ball on the opposite wing.

Such passing looks virtually effortless to him and it's not just the incredible accuracy that caught my eye. It had power and pace on it which meant it arrived at the feet of McKay barely a second or two after leaving the boot of Kranjcar giving McKay more time in space before the opposition could react.

When he gets up to full fitness he is going to be a stunning acquisition. I was going to say that 12 months ago I never dreamed that 12 months later we would have the best midfield in the league but I will just amend that to 12 weeks ago far less 12 months.

Highlighting the Vhermins 5IAR titles is like congratulating a one-eyed man, winning all the Olympic Gold medals in the blind shooting competitions.

Totally agree, it's ludicrous. Akin to us if we had been banished to stay in league 2 for 5 seasons and then crowed about winning it 5 times in a row. Those titles are meaningless in the sense of any achievement and everybody knows it but just doesn't want to say it.

Nobody else but them or us have won it in decades. Then anybody should be impressed that they keep winning it when we're not in it? Comical.

I have been pensively dissecting my own aspirations for the upcoming season over the last few days. At first I honestly thought we couldn't win it first time round, however after watching our style of play and performance I believe if we can get just a bit tighter at the back, we are in with a real shout, and the sewer dwellers are not as strong as everyone else in Scottish football likes to think.

We must keep it a lot tighter at the back though which may be our downfall. I know it's the way we play and it's great football, years ago during 9IAR Burns played great football with them, we still won the league. Mainly by keeping it tight at the back and soaking up pressure. There side is nowhere near the class we had back then so it's purely a footballing ethos comparison not a direct one.

It's going to be very very tight I feel, tighter than a......................lol

I have no doubt we can win it. I think we have the best midfield in the league which is always going to create chances for the strikers and will themselves contribute a tidy amount of goals. In fact I predict right now that we will have more goals from the midfield than any other team in the SPL plus the attacking fullbacks will chip in too.

As you say the defence will have to be somewhat more efficient and hopefully that will come. I expect the most impressive performance of the campaign so far at Ibrox against Stranraer. Fitness levels are increasing and the floodgates are due to open up on a goal fest.

We will obviously know how strong any title aspirations can be in a couple of months time. For we have to see how we can cope with the Premiership teams, who are better than what we have faced last season and may very well be better able to counter our best players and find ways to block our playing style. Probably by doing what teams in the Championship were doing, i.e. destructive football and brick-walls in their own half ... and quick counter attacks. And while we sure need not to fear them, they do have better quality that is able to hit us where it hurts. Still, this is what they always did or tried before and we shall see how we can cope with that.

Edited by der Berliner