Rangers v Hamilton - Our mission, should we choose to accept it...

Care to elaborate?

I'll try...:)

Clint Hill actually gestured on a number of occasions today to Fod not to give him the ball. What's that about?

Nico Krancjar isn't fit yet but starts the match.

Barton's pace was shown up today in a bad light against every player on the park.

All on the 'High' end of wages I'd imagine.

So what we're saying is we haven't adjusted yet.

What I'm saying is...and I accept it's only the first game of 38, is that we had better players on the bench today than some of the players who started (those three I mentioned above for example).

I also accept that Hill may have started simply because Wilson was suspended, but I can't understand why Krancjar and Barton were on from the start other than their wage bill.

Highlight of the day was the video highlights of our game on this day in 1989 v Spurs when we thrashed them 1-0! What a team we had then. Woods, Stevens, Butcher, Gough, Munro, Steven, Ferguson, Wilkins, Walters, McCoist, Mojo. I'd take any one of them in an instant over today's side. Butcher & Gough v Kiernan & Hill makes me want to cry!

This wee link is worth a read from official site - scroll down to find the game in question. Spurs had some great players at that time also including Mabbutt, Gazza & Lineker. http://rangers.co.uk/news/features/feature-previous-spurs-friendlies/

Do you really think Butcher and Gough would look excessively better had we adopted a similar style back than as Warburton's team now does? I'd be not so bold, despite the difference in class.

Essentially people should cool down somewhat and get back to a realistic level. We need to find the right combination in midfield, have to adjust our CHs to our DMs and our attackers need to find their scoring boots. One might think that half a dozen games in a fourtnight (!) might do that, but much of those were meant to get people back to match fitness, see how everyone shapes up et al, rather then build a team that hits the ground running against teams that are half if not a class better than what we had last season. Teams who have seen us play and set up to stop us. We need time to adapt, so by the end of September we'll probably know where we are and what we can expect from our side this season and each player on show.

Edited by der Berliner

It obviously wasn't the start we wanted but it could have been a lot worse. First we did comfortably outplay them and were unlucky not to get more goals with Waghorn hitting the post etc and on another day other shots would have gone in. And all credit to my home town team Hamilton, maybe they're not as bad as everyone thought they were.

I notice too that Motherwell who we comfortably outplayed and beat in their own patch got an away victory. We're going to click soon enough and pull away.

And it might be that with Waghorn out inured for probably a minimum of weeks that the manager may now have a case to put to the chairman that he urgently needs to pull out all the stops for the additional striker we have been looking for and of course the problem CB position. I think we can be confident the chairman is as desperate as any of us are to secure European football next season.

I still feel this team is a lot better than many seem to think it is and a couple of good additions can make a vast difference.

Do you really think Butcher and Gough would look excessively better had we adopted a similar style back than as Warburton's team now does? I'd be not so bold, despite the difference in class.

Essentially people should cool down somewhat and get back to a realistic level. We need to find the right combination in midfield, have to adjust our CHs to our DMs and our attackers need to find their scoring boots. One might think that half a dozen games in a fourtnight (!) might do that, but much of those were meant to get people back to match fitness, see how everyone shapes up et al, rather then build a team that hits the ground running against teams that are half if not a class better than what we had last season. Teams who have seen us play and set up to stop us. We need time to adapt, so by the end of September we'll probably know where we are and what we can expect from our side this season and each player on show.

Yes, there is no doubt in my mind that both Gough & Butcher would look "excessively better" that what we had today - not a shadow of doubt, regardless of the way we play. People seem to be forgetting that back then Gary Stevens had as much license to get forward as Tavernier does and that Stuart Munro also bombed forward too. Gough & Butcher are a world better than the players we have at CB now. That isn't a criticism of the current crop though.

Don't disagree with the rest of your post. I still think we will come good. The season is long..... And the manager already has some decisions to make.