Other supporters' hatred and dislike of us, or not - a question

Since some of us haven't got the "luxury" of living amongst their fellow Scottish football supporters, a question into the round:

Over the years since admin you have sure met dozens or more of fans of other clubs, be it in the pub, street, at work or in football grounds. The "You are not Rangers anymore" - banter that we will likely get from all nerds out there aside, which of those supporters you met were the most sane and reasonable?

I take it for granted that different people have met various supporters from the same clubs who probably have polar views on us, but it would be good to hear your experience straight from the frontier.

Edited by der Berliner

I will endeavour to be as objective as I can with my answer DB. In my experience the levels of what can be called "hatred" have increased since our financial problems. The word "Hatred" is a very strong term to use and personally I like to think I don't hate anyone.

You will hear the usual suspects wax lyrical that it is a problem that lives in the less affluent levels of society, those with low incomes and whose education is not of a high standard perhaps. In my experience I would suggest is is equal across society as I have encountered those with deep feeling of resentment, contempt and yes hatred, just as much if not more, when you have been at university as I have in th streets or pubs of the east end of Glasgow.

The question you ask is had the levels increased?. IMHO yes, tenfold. It must be said from where I'm standing it seems that those who already harboured feelings of resentment and hatred simply found a new vacuum or a new platform to vent their insecurities or levels of frustration in our direction. By the same token I have also met some, not many, but some other football fans in Scotland who understand our position. It could also be said what happened has allowed the festering dislike of our club and supporters that many were able to mask and hide for decades, come to the surface as they were no longer able to to cloak their contempt for our club and supporters. This may seam like I am being dramatic however the visualisation of some fans, it would seem, openly frothing at the mouth, is not dramatic at all.

Manifesting itself in football what has happened has simply highlighted the deep divide here is in Scotland. I'm sure it would not be to difficult to make an argument in support of the notion that in Scotland those of other clubs have a deep resentment and indeed hatred of everything to do with Rangers. The reasons for this go much deeper than football. There are many who would love nothing better than for the club and its supporters to simply vanish.

Hatred appears to have increased online.

In real life there's no real difference in my experience. Banter is about the same as the folk I know care little for the financial/new club/cheating crap.

In real life there's no real difference in my experience. Banter is about the same as the folk I know care little for the financial/new club/cheating crap.

I'd agree with that.

Basically, the nutters have become more extreme, and the press are happy to feed clickbait to online obsessives.

Frankie makes a great point the social media. It's certainly afforded individuals with deep feelings of hatred and resentment a platform. One which for one reason or another they wouldn't have access too in their normal activities. The explosion of social media and our downward spiral into our lowest point in our history has, it would seem, allowed all those who were able to mask their feelings towards us, to drop their guard.

Possibly just two dramatic events at once, social media allowing people to say things they would normally keep to themselves and our very public difficulties.

It's very easy to be a sniper behind a wall and shoot a wounded man lying on the street. Metaphorically speaking lol.

Other clubs and their supporters, not to mention the mhedia and certain people in the political world. Were and still are very quick to point the finger at Rangers and it's supporters to blame us for all the sectarian and bigoted ills in Scottish Football. However they are equally quickly losing that comfort blanket, with the ongoing and continual open and naked bigoted and sectarian attitudes, language and behavior. Used daily by other clubs supporters and even some MSP's against our club and it's support.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

Things changed in the eighties.

The tipping point and best manifestation of the hatred was/is the Aberdeen fanzine, 'the Nothern Light'. An A4 size 'zine, it was well written and produced. Tertiary educated scribblers and professional graphics sent a message that continues to echo to this day. All the usual suspects learned to sing from this particular hymn sheet.

It probably hasn't published in 15 years, maybe more; however, the mental imagery continues to be evoked daily.

Totally agree, the vast majority of these grunts wouldn't say boo to anyone in the street but online are transformed into the loudmouths they wish they were while adopting some dimwitted view they got from some other grunt online while they can barely string together a sentence to even describe it.

Something that may have been forgotten by many is that I believe Lennon was an enormous factor in getting the insane spite mill rolling to the extent we now see. He was the manager of the opposition at the time and he was the first I can remember suggesting in any way shape or form that Rangers should be stripped of historic titles.

That was then pounced on by the lowest common denominator as a war cry and has been refined along the way to become an industry despite the fact not a single relevant authority has ever given it a shred of credibility.