Jamie Walker a 'cheat', says Celtic's Scott Brown

In football there's always a chance of a bit of contact, which does not necessarily mean a foul. But to deliberately go down rather than from the contact as the reason, is certainly cheating to me. If the rules differ, then I think the rules are not in the spirit of sporting behaviour, and therefore not fit for purpose.

That's exactly my point. He felt contact and went down, therefore under the rules he isn't cheating. The rules are a farce, or more specifically the implementation of them is a farce. It isn't that long ago when I was playing that football was a contact sport....

JAMIE WALKER has been hit by a two-match ban by the SFA's compliance officer following his dive against Celtic.

The Hearts winger can appeal the decision by Tony McGlennan to ban him but has been offered a fixed two match suspension.

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-winger-jamie-walker-handed-8594904#dTICov7DBgh7gYWd.99

ROBBIE NEILSON insists Hearts will FIGHT the SFA’s bid to ban striker Jamie Walker.

Compliance officer Tony McGlennan has offered Walker a two-game suspension after he accused the Hearts youngster of diving to win a penalty against Celtic on Sunday.

But fuming Jambos are standing by their man, and insist Walker has been the victim of a witch-hunt led by Hoops skipper Scott Brown.

Hearts are adamant video evidence proves there was contact in the penalty area between Walker and Hoops defender Kieran Tierney.

They have already appealed McGlennan’s decision, freeing Walker up to face St Johnstone in tonight’s Betfred Cup clash.

Jambos boss Neilson said: “I’ve watched the incident back several times and Jamie told us he felt contact.

“He got himself out the way of a leg that is coming through. From our perspective, we believe ANY contact in the box is a penalty so we will stand by our player, 100 per cent. I think it’s only right.

“You look at the camera from every angle, and there is no indication there was no contact — other than people saying there is no contact.

“Have you watched the video? Is there any point where there is light between the players?

“Every time you watch the picture there is a crossing at high speed. That is all it takes for a player running at speed for that to happen.

“People are saying they didn’t see much, but you can’t just say ‘I didn’t really see much’ and then ban someone. You have to say it was either this or that — there is no in between.

“We are watching a slow-motion video, and saying there might or there might not have been contact.

“Do we then jump to a conclusion because somebody said so after the game, or because someone forms an opinion on it and says he did this or that?

“You must have firm evidence. My firm evidence is I asked my player if there was contact.

“If the player says there is contact, and we watch the videos and there is no evidence there is no contact, then of course we are going to back our member of staff.”

Neilson also pointed to a similar incident involving ex-Celt John Guidetti at Tynecastle in December 2014.

On that occasion, the Swede wasn’t cited by McGlennan, who ruled he had slipped after the Hoops were awarded a spot-kick in a 4-0 Scottish Cup win.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/hearts/7222774/Robbie-Neilson-We-wont-take-Jamie-Walker-dive-ban-lying-down.html

That's exactly my point. He felt contact and went down, therefore under the rules he isn't cheating. The rules are a farce, or more specifically the implementation of them is a farce. It isn't that long ago when I was playing that football was a contact sport....

The relevant part of Law 12:

"Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

charges

jumps at

kicks or attempts to kick

pushes

strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)

tackles or challenges

trips or attempts to trip"

Note the words "careless, reckless or using excessive force". That is more than just contact. If the player says what Walker said that sounds as if he himself made the decision to fall down rather than being knocked down or even knocked off balance.