Premier League 16/17

This has to be the most wide open start to a season that I can recall. Id say there is 6 realistic title contenders. For me its Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Spurs. Although I do think the top 2 will be the Manchester clubs.

Arsenal - Top 4 experts but once again haven't signed in the right places. Its a myth that Wenger doesn't spend, he does (Sanchez 37m Ozil 42m, Welbeck 16m, Chambers 16m, Debuchy 8m, Xhaka 31m, etc), he just doesn't spend it in the right areas. He got the keeper position sorted last summer but they have been crying out for a world class centre half for years. They have got rid of players who were finished - Rosicky, Flamini and Arteta - and the midfield if injury free looks scary - Wilshire (if fit), Xhaka, Coquelin, Elneny, Ramsay, Cazorla, Ozil, Ox-Chamberlain.

But 3rd for me due to injuries and they are 2 players short of being champions.

Chelsea - This is the first Chelsea appointment since Ranieri where they look exciting. Pre-Mourinho 2004-05 they were the entertaining side to watch. All the other managers came and went but it was still Mourinho's type of team. I have no idea what to expect from this Chelsea, I can see them having 4-2 and 3-3 games this season. I like the look of Conte and he will adopt a typical strong Italian defence but attacking going forward and they have some terrific pacey players. I think 4th for them.

Liverpool - Surprised how much they have spent yet none of the players brought in are world class. Klopp is a top manager who puts together good units and gets an extra 10% out of players but they are short of top players to be title contenders. Its Klopps first full season so expectations should be top 4 but I think 5th.

Man City - Looking forward to seeing how Pep sets out the team. His attacking players are top notch but transforming the defence to his passing style may mean they have plenty mistakes in them. The battle between Pep v Jose is intriguing. Its a bit of a rebuilding job with Toure aging and Kompany always injured, but the quality they have should still see them top 2. I'll say 2nd.

Man Utd - Fast returning to the mid to late 90s of the team everyone loves to hate - that's down to Jose. What he has done with Schweinsteiger and Mata is typical Jose and is the difference between Jose and Sir Alex. The latter would never have done things publically. The signings have been what they have needed for years and they have a proper shape about them again. Bailly looks a top centre half and Pogba completes their midfield. They have plenty options in midfield, on the wings and upfront. Jose knows how to win games even when playing poorly. I hope they are outside the top 4 but I can see them being Champions.

Spurs - Kept all their players and added a few. Having Champions league games may take a bit out of them. Last year they made 11 changes for the Europa so they could have a title run but in the CL they will play their strongest sides. It will be good to see how they react from almost champions to slipping to 3rd. Its all about how you go again and they will either be the same again or drop down to around 6th.

The group of second level teams has never been stronger also. Champions Leicester will be in this group IMO. They have only lost Kante so far but added a few good players but I cant see them doing the same again especially with CL football. But what a season it will be for them again with CL. I see an improved Everton, West Ham and Stoke in this section. Southampton could be in this tier but I think they will go a bit backwards after losing Koeman, yet I thought the Dutchman was wrong to leave St Marys for Goodison as he was building something good there and was a possible replacement for Wenger in 12 months time or a possible next Barcelona manager. Everton are ambitious but its a bit of a side step IMO.

Sunderland and Moyes looks a good match and I think Middlesboro will be ok along with Palace, Swansea and West Brom. There isn't much between these teams.

I think Hull are already down, they only have about 10 fit players and no manager. I think Watford were crazy to change their manager which could cost them and then its one from Bournemouth or Burnley to drop down.

Im predicting.

Man Utd

Man City

Arsenal

Chelsea

Liverpool

Tottenham

Everton

Leicester

West ham

Stoke

Swansea

Southampton

Crystal Palace

Sunderland

West Brom

Middlesboro

Bournemouth

Burnley

Watford

Hull

Edited by Gribz

Hard to disagree with any of that, except Everton are in the long term a step up from So'ton.

So long as either City or Arsenal are Champs and Sunderland and West Brom are respectable I'll be pleased and I don't want Burnley to go down.

I don't exactly worry about the EPL, only when it comes to selecting my teams for Fantasy League. For it is an utter joke that Chelsea, ManC et al are littered with quality players at high prices, with only half a handful bound to play regularly.

Same old Arsenal. Not sure why I tipped them for top 4, going by that performance top 8 will be a struggle for them.

They were almost missing half a team Gribz. Any team missing their starting CB's plus their playmaker and main striker will struggle to win against quality opposition.

Ozil, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Giroud all out injured.

That said, they definitely need a CB and another striker.

They were almost missing half a team Gribz. Any team missing their starting CB's plus their playmaker and main striker will struggle to win against quality opposition.

Ozil, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Giroud all out injured.

That said, they definitely need a CB and another striker.

Yeah but Wenger knew the date of the first game and should have made the signings. They have been screaming for a centre half for 2 years.

Plus he left Xhaka on the bench but played Sanchez who is clearly not fit. He just gets things wrong too often now Craig and its going to take its toll this season.

Yeah but Wenger knew the date of the first game and should have made the signings. They have been screaming for a centre half for 2 years.

Plus he left Xhaka on the bench but played Sanchez who is clearly not fit. He just gets things wrong too often now Craig and its going to take its toll this season.

They lost Paulista last week, he could hardly be blamed for not being prepared for that. But yes they have needed AT LEAST one CB for a couple of years. That said, at least 1st half, the 2 CB's actually played well.

Xhaka and Sanchez play in different positions - I don't think it was that big a deal to leave Xhaka on the bench given he played Elneny and Coquelin - that was a decent enough holding pairing - and if he didn't play Sanchex he would have had to play Walcott through the middle, no thanks.

They lost Paulista last week, he could hardly be blamed for not being prepared for that. But yes they have needed AT LEAST one CB for a couple of years. That said, at least 1st half, the 2 CB's actually played well.

Xhaka and Sanchez play in different positions - I don't think it was that big a deal to leave Xhaka on the bench given he played Elneny and Coquelin - that was a decent enough holding pairing - and if he didn't play Sanchex he would have had to play Walcott through the middle, no thanks.

Paulista was harsh but typical Arsenal. I don't know what he saw in Chambers, he hasn't done anything since that 16m move. But he is fluffing about with signing that Valencia centre half.

I Understand Xhaka and Sanchez are different positions but the point being why rest the fit one but play the unfit one. Wenger has went in totally unprepared this season.

I really fear for them this season, on paper they should be going for the title but they are a million miles away right now and wont finish top 4.

I don't think Liverpool are anything great but they have a proper manager who gives the players a feel good factor, that will give them another 10 points a season. I questioned the Mane fee but he looks a player and a half.

Arsenal have to go to Leicester and win next week or they will probably be 6 points behind Man Utd already.

Arsenal will finish top 4 IMO. Difficult to do as it is for all the teams with a stronger Utd, re-invigorated Chelsea probably, City with Pep despite looking rusty yesterday and then Liverpool and Spurs thrown into the mix, though I'm not that convinced by Spurs to be honest.

Losing that game is tough but Arsenal were without 3 or 4 of their most influential players.

Not sure why you would "fear" for Arsenal though - those sound like words for relegation candidates or teams in financial struggle, neither of which will apply to Arsenal.

I like Klopp (not so much his antics) but Liverpool weren't even in that game in the 1st half, and that was very much an under-strength Arsenal. And from a very commanding lead they almost transpired to drop 2 points.

I didn't see much of the 2nd half to be fair but in the 1st half both Holding and Chambers did just fine.