Premier League 16/17

I agree they shouldn't be in that state - but to suggest that those 4 wouldn't have had an influence on the game is stretching things - your best centre half not playing and having to use a rookie 20 yr old in his place, your most creative player not playing, your most influential striker not playing - I think it is a severe stretch to say they weren't missed in that starting line up.

Ozil may look like he doesn't want to be there but he still had most EPL assists last season - and how can you say he doesn't look like he doesn't want to be there when he hasn't played a pre-season game yet? I never said Giroud is a top class striker, but to say he wouldn't have had an influence on that Arsenal team on Sunday is confusing, especially when they had to use Sanchez in that role, a role that he isn't suited to.

So I agree that the squad isn't even close to where it needs to be - but to use that as some reason to say that Koscielny, Ozil and Giroud weren't missed on Sunday just makes little sense to me.

Wenger is too stubborn - not only that, but in speaking to a work colleague yesterday who is an Arsenal fan - I think some of Wenger's problem is also that he was manager when they moved stadiums and he took on a "business" approach to management - by that I mean that he seems to get concerned about the money and business aspect of the Club. A manager should be going to his Board and saying "I want this player and that player" and leave the finances to the Board to determine if they can make it happen. But I get the impression that Wenger looks for "value for money" rather than simply looking to strengthen the team and squad.

I'll give you koscielny, he would be an improvement as Chambers has never made it at this level. I would have probably played Debuchy ahead of him, or Monreal at CH with Gibbs at LB. But I still cant see Ozil making a difference in that single game, he doesn't show up in the big matches. For me mate he is extremely disappointing.

Agree with your assessment on some of the players.

Cech - probably the best keeper ever in the EPL??

Bellerin - All the talent a RB needs.

Monreal - The most improved player in the league.

As Scott says - a Ray Parlour would walk into that team right now, as would big Martin Keown.

The other thing is I don't think Wenger knows his best formation never mind line up. Is it a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-2-3-1. Plus he has no natural winger. If he got the cheque book out he'd have Mustafi, Draxler and Lacazatte.

If he added them then they would be champions. This side on paper is awesome and its 3 players away - all who are pretty much linked anyway.

_______________________________Cech___________________________

Bellerin___________Koscielny__________Mustafi___________Monreal

_______________________________Xhaka_____________________________

Sanchez__________Cazorla_____________Ox-Chamberlain_____Draxler

___________________________Lacazatte______________________________

The other thing is I don't think Wenger knows his best formation never mind line up. Is it a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-2-3-1. Plus he has no natural winger. If he got the cheque book out he'd have Mustafi, Draxler and Lacazatte.

If he added them then they would be champions. This side on paper is awesome and its 3 players away - all who are pretty much linked anyway.

_______________________________Cech___________________________

Bellerin___________Koscielny__________Mustafi___________Monreal

_______________________________Xhaka_____________________________

Sanchez__________Cazorla_____________Ox-Chamberlain_____Draxler

___________________________Lacazatte______________________________

Agreed, that team looks strong with those 3 new signings - Ox wouldn't get in my team though - not through the middle. I still would have Ozil or even Wilshere in there instead.

Agreed, that team looks strong with those 3 new signings - Ox wouldn't get in my team though - not through the middle. I still would have Ozil or even Wilshere in there instead.

Wilshire - yes if he proves he can string 10 games together.

I Like Ox-Chamberlain, he seems to be a very level headed young man and is an attacking midfielder who can play all over the pitch so would get into my team.

Don't understand how Wenger cant just get these over the line. Draxler has even stated he wants to join....you don't turn that player down.

Edited by Gribz

Much of the issue at Arsenal is that they still, I believe, operate a salary policy

Again, is that down to Wenger? Shouldn't it be scrapped if they want to compete? Champions league and top money yet they wont compete with the bigger teams. With this mentality Arsenal will sink to mid table. Teams like Stoke spend more. Palace just offered 30m for Benteke yet Arsenal don't get the cheque book out. They are becoming indefensiveable.

Don't want to turn this into an Arsenal thread but they make it for themselves.

I'll have a cheeky fiver with you now they wont finish top 4, based on last Sundays result.

Not premier league but well done Joe Garners old club Preston who after losing their first 3 league matches and sitting with zero points had a fine win away to QPR who are more than likely play off contenders.