Watch as thugs – some wearing Rangers tops and others supporting Palestine...

Had the Jews not annoyed the Romans to no end in 135 CE, they might not have turned the province Syria Judaea into Syria Palaestina (merging Syria Judaea with Syria). To annoy the Jews in turn, the Romans gave the newly formed province the Romanized name of the arch-enemies of the Jews, the Philistines, i.e. Syria Palaestina. You simply did not meddle with the Empire in that day and age.

Quite a chunk of the country claimed by Israel after its foundation was that of the Roman province of Judea, so whose land it "really" is is very much up to debate. For quite a number of the people involved, it has long since surpassed these rather mundane quarrels.

dB, what is your vocation ?

I see you talking in depth and intelligently about both languages and history and find it fascinating to the point I wondered what you actually do for a living.

I see you talking in depth and intelligently about both languages and history and find it fascinating to the point I wondered what you actually do for a living.

Something to do with Ice hockey I believe. He certainly writes almost perfect English, just now and again you see a word that gives him away to being German at least for me as I see the same mistakes with German and Dutch people.

So what would the view be if thousands of Hapoel fans in Israel decide to barrack any visiting fans while waving the red hand of Ulster or any loyalist paraphernalia they can come up with in the away match? Is it acceptable if they hassle the sellick contingent as they enter the stadium while expressing a view that gassing isn't good enough for republican rats?

Presumably they have the same democratic freedom to voice their opinion some in Scotland are so enamoured of? Would they be applauded for exercising it by Alison Johnstone, Patrick Harvie, John Finnie, Jackie Baillie, Mark Ruskell, James Dornan, Ivan McKee.

Or is it only democratic freedom when it's a one way street?

"Almost"? Better than mine.

And far far better than my written Dutch which I speak fluently. I will say though conversing with people as on this forum will help him immensely. I have not got the interest of anything to go on to a Dutch or German forum.

So what would the view be if thousands of Hapoel fans in Israel decide to barrack any visiting fans while waving the red hand of Ulster or any loyalist paraphernalia they can come up with in the away match? Is it acceptable if they hassle the sellick contingent as they enter the stadium while expressing a view that gassing isn't good enough for republican rats?

Presumably they have the same democratic freedom to voice their opinion some in Scotland are so enamoured of? Would they be applauded for exercising it by Alison Johnstone, Patrick Harvie, John Finnie, Jackie Baillie, Mark Ruskell, James Dornan, Ivan McKee.

Or is it only democratic freedom when it's a one way street?

I couldn't have put it any enter myself.

was.gifguckstdu.gif Only a few days ago, you were inviting me to put you on your ignore list. Could it be that you and Mrs. Craig share the same computer every now and then? amkopfkratz.gifauslach.gif

But being polite as always ... getting that Rangers infection roundabout 1983 led me to study history (ancient Roman / British) and English. And to this very day I work as a translator and mainly editor of US fantasy stuff for the German market. While spending some of my spare time working as security supervisor at this neat place in Berlin, where ice hockey is indeed very often on the menue.

Now over to you ... or you, Mrs. Craig! censored.gif