Preston statement regarding Joe Garner

Whilst our finances dictate that we need to be financially prudent we also shouldn't simply be looking to bring players in and sell them for profit - that makes us nothing more than a revolving door football club and eventually young talent wont want to come as there is no continuity.

As has been said above, profits come in different shapes and form, not just in selling that player on (isn't it a touch ignorant to be talking about selling players on when they have only just arrived and haven't even kicked a ball for us in anger ??). If Joe Garner provides the goals that make the difference in us winning the league or coming 2nd then that in itself means a higher allocation of the league standings winnings. Which would probably pay for his purchase price on its own. It would also give us the opportunity to enter Europe's biggest competition and whilst we may not get into the group stages or get the lucrative finances of it, we know that winning our own league also prevents Celtic from getting a crack at Champions League riches. Which also has value as it keeps them closer to us whilst we try to recover from the carnage of the past 4 years.

I never said we should exclusively be signing players who have resale value. I've said frequently on here that I'm keen for us to sign veterans well into their 30's if they are of a certain quality. Despite a poor season last year, I was wanting us to sign Lescott: he's obviously better than what we have, plus wouldn't have commanded a fee. I feel I've already explained why I think Garner is a poor choice though.

It isn't only about buying and selling. It is also about added value - and that added value can be in terms of contribution. To use an extreme example..... Just say that Chelsea were prepared to sell us John Terry for 1.5 million. Given our current defensive situation would any of us really not wish to buy him simply because there is no sell-on value ? Or would we recognize that he could bring the solidity to the back line that we need and would give us a greater chance of winning the league ? Would be 1.5 million well spent as it shores up a leaking back-line, brings a very experienced head into the fold and adds value in terms of the team.

Surely a more fitting example would be to pick a defender who struggled in the Championship last season, as opposed to John Terry.

It is all too easy to say that our strategy should be to "look to the European leagues, pick up the best youths that are there, bring them in, rain, develop and play them and then sell them on for a massive profit" - this is much harder to do these days than you think as all the clubs in the bigger leagues have so much resource to throw into their scouting that the chances of beating them to a player is very slim. Example... Bournemouth came to Bermuda earlier this year, sending two of their scouts/Academy coaches over and ended up taking two of my son's team this summer. Even in obscure, far-flung, small countries the teams in the big leagues have their tentacles out.

It really isn't as easy as people make it sound.

The tims seem to manage. I think signing cheap players, trying to develop them and punting them on is common sense and I'm sure the club will be trying to do this. If we had received big offers for Waghorn or Tavernier this summer they'd have been gone in a flash.

I never said we should exclusively be signing players who have resale value. I've said frequently on here that I'm keen for us to sign veterans well into their 30's if they are of a certain quality. Despite a poor season last year, I was wanting us to sign Lescott: he's obviously better than what we have, plus wouldn't have commanded a fee. I feel I've already explained why I think Garner is a poor choice though.

Surely a more fitting example would be to pick a defender who struggled in the Championship last season, as opposed to John Terry.

The tims seem to manage. I think signing cheap players, trying to develop them and punting them on is common sense and I'm sure the club will be trying to do this. If we had received big offers for Waghorn or Tavernier this summer they'd have been gone in a flash.

Celtic spend over 40 million a year on their first team. I'm not sure they are turning much of a profit by selling the odd success.

If he gets himself into good positions in front of goal he will get the chances to score a barrow load for the season. If he tries to do too much out of the box he may end up like clark.