A jag in the bum. Rangers v Partick Thistle Preview

IMO "plan A" is not working properly, which is not to say we shouldn't be playing it. I would much rather see us get it working properly than see us lump it long. I'm not opposed to seeing Wes lump it long, but only as a way of initiating a quick counter attack. I really don't want to see us hitting it long to a target man. Is that not predictable? Is that not just "stubborn nonsense" wanting it to be hit long as we've done in the past? Predictability has nothing to do with it IMO: If we execute is as it should be executed, teams will have problems.

We agree for the most part, that the system is not working; we just disagree on what that means. I think you would like to see it changed altogether? Whereas I would prefer to see us get it right, for I believe it is the right/best way to play.

I don't want it played long all the time, I said occasionally, neither do I want to see plan A scrapped. I would like to see MOH given a run, someone who does things differently from the others. Wallace and McKay gave us good pace and quick attacks last season, this seems to have gone from our game, perhaps MOH would get us from back to front quicker.

That's the foul, but rather late into it ...

http://willievass.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/011016-Rangers-v-Partick-Thistle/G0000sHGTc8sZMMQ/I0000SYWUks4UJqg/C000073HvEmiL_x0

... Had his feet off the ground and one leg straight. Could have caused serious damage to Halliday, who was chopped somewhat later again, which left him hobbling about. Doubt the ref gave anything for that either. The first tackle, if the commentator was right, shattered Halliday's shin-guard.

I actually couldn't believe it when not even a foul was given.

The Aussie playing for the Thistle yesterday Ryan Edwards, this is his Dad.

Edit

Born in Whyalla, South Australia to Scottish parents, Edwards' family moved to Kwinana when he was a child, where he joined the local junior team before representing Western Australia in a team that won the 1986 Australian under-18 title. He made a couple of appearances for the state senior side at the age of 17, before attending the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra. He then had a spell with Rangers in Scotland, before joining Sydney Olympic and scoring the winning goal in the 1989 NSL grand final. After two successful spells in Asia and short stints with English clubs Brighton & Hove Albion and Millwall, he briefly rejoined Sydney Olympic before linking up with Perth Glory for whom he played 93 times and scored 24 goals. In all, he made 173 appearances in the NSL.

Never played a game right enough, around '87/88.

The Aussie playing for the Thistle yesterday Ryan Edwards, this is his Dad.

Edit

Born in Whyalla, South Australia to Scottish parents, Edwards' family moved to Kwinana when he was a child, where he joined the local junior team before representing Western Australia in a team that won the 1986 Australian under-18 title. He made a couple of appearances for the state senior side at the age of 17, before attending the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra. He then had a spell with Rangers in Scotland, before joining Sydney Olympic and scoring the winning goal in the 1989 NSL grand final. After two successful spells in Asia and short stints with English clubs Brighton & Hove Albion and Millwall, he briefly rejoined Sydney Olympic before linking up with Perth Glory for whom he played 93 times and scored 24 goals. In all, he made 173 appearances in the NSL.

Never played a game right enough, around '87/88.

is his father called alistair?

on the Rangers stats site

http://www.fitbastats.com/rangers/player.php?playerid=2147

IMO "plan A" is not working properly, which is not to say we shouldn't be playing it. I would much rather see us get it working properly than see us lump it long. I'm not opposed to seeing Wes lump it long, but only as a way of initiating a quick counter attack. I really don't want to see us hitting it long to a target man. Is that not predictable? Is that not just "stubborn nonsense" wanting it to be hit long as we've done in the past? Predictability has nothing to do with it IMO: If we execute is as it should be executed, teams will have problems.

We agree for the most part, that the system is not working; we just disagree on what that means. I think you would like to see it changed altogether? Whereas I would prefer to see us get it right, for I believe it is the right/best way to play.

I think the point is that if you predictably do the same thing all the time then the opposition can counter it, but mix it up a bit and they have to cover more options.

I always think of the badminton serve in this where the short serve is preferred as it makes the opponent play up and therefore defensively - but if you never play a long serve the opponent comes closer and attacks your short serve. The odd, random long serve keeps him from coming too close - but you also use it to win a point if you notice he is too close. He'll back off, or you just do it again.

The last part is obvious but where we look really naive. If a team are pressing, then punish them with a long ball, and leave a lot of their players in your half, while you attack their's. Keep doing that and they won't be pressing for long - and you have space to play your preferred way.

The worse tactic I ever saw was Burley for Scotland where we didn't have an out player - the opposition just pressed as far forwards as they like as we were actually unable to use the long ball clear, never mind predictable. They even brought the keeper up the park somewhat to collect any long balls out of defence with no pressure.

That's just one simplistic aspect, but the point is that no matter what you do in the game, you need to have several options and mix them up to keep them guessing, and also using any preemptive tactics against them. As a defender, I'm happy when a guy who likes to dribble has a much preferred side to go to, or usually tries the same thing, it makes me look good...

The guys that can embarrass me are the ones who are not only really hard to predict (in a skillful way) using lots of options, but they are also good at disguising it so you think they are going to do something they are not - you really have to stand off them a bit, watch them carefully and be judicious in the timing of your tackle ie waiting till they show too much of the ball or make a mistake.

So a lot of people think we should have a more expansive repertoire including skillful, occasional use of the long ball - nobody is advocating just lumping it up the park, so I think it's pointless to argue against that.

Edited by calscot