“Hun” and “Jock” not considered offensive by Ofcom

Christ, what a depressing thread. I often wonder if fans of other team like Arsenal for example, spend time on forums discussing the relative meaning of certain words and songs, hanging effigies, vandalism, people mocking the dead. etc. I dream of reading this forum one day to find that the main page is football content only. (and that's not a dig at this forum BTW!)

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

Christ, what a depressing thread. I often wonder if fans of other team like Arsenal for example, spend time on forums discussing the relative meaning of certain words and songs, hanging effigies, vandalism, people mocking the dead. etc. I dream of reading this forum one day to find that the main page is football content only. (and that's not a dig at this forum BTW!)

It's simply a by-product of the current state of Scottish society which has had sectarianism issues for well over a century which became intertwined with football along the way and now to complicate it further extreme nationalism issues have been added to the mix which have also crept into Scottish football in one way and another. Unfortunately that's not going to change anytime soon.

Edited by JFK-1

I'm no expert on the subject, but my take on the word H*n being widely used today against 'Rangers fans' is because of our generally accepted 'love' and 'support' for the Royal family.

The term H*n was used to refer to a German, especially a German soldier in World War I or II.

As we very well know, our Royal family descend from Germans.

When you add in their obvious connection to the Protestant faith it fuels the argument that H*n could relate to Proddies which I reckon it has 'evolved' into - especially with the Catholic fraternity as opposed to the anti Royalty members of Scotland's society.

Rangers fans 'use' of the word during the 50's 60' and 70's referred to the Irish not fighting the Germans.

As I said, just my take on it.:cool:

Did they ask about Fenian too? These 248 people.

I would assume - unless they haven't had that much Irish literature and mythology in school (and thus would have known about the Fenian Cycle) - that many might never have heard the word at all ...

Why we let them turn it around? Who is "we"?

How did black people allows themselves to be called niggers or coons? How did Jewish people allows themselves to be called yids or kikes?

What could Protestants do to prevent republican extremists painting KAH (or Kill All Huns) on Belfast walls?

Are you trying to suggest that those who suffer from religious bigotry are the ones to blame?

This thread is very depressing. It seems that many are happy for Anti-protestant religious bigotry to go unchecked.

Those who are affected should be up in arms about it and those who aren't should be giving them every support and not coming up with reasons to allow the bigots to get away with it.

Why we let them turn it around? Who is "we"?

Rangers supporters used to call Celtic supporters Huns.

Did black people ever call white people niggers? Did Jewish people ever call anybody else Yids or Kikes?

First let me say it is pathetic that anybody calls anyone else names so yes it is a depressing thread.

I suppose it means what you mean by religious bigotry. We have always called each other names and until a few people like nil by mouth and other groups\ media complained nobody on both sides really gave a shit. I actually believe the whole thing was started by Celtic supporters trying one-upmanship thinking the ball would only land in our court. They were wrong to an extent in that they also lost some songs at least at home games. The whole thing has grown arms and legs due to politicians, so called Journalists and other people trying to score points. If we were allowed to call them fenians would we give a toss if they called us huns. I personally don't give a shit what Celtic supporters do or say as long as it is an even playing field and therein lies the problem.

I do think paki is a bit of a strange one - it comes from the Persian, "pak" which means "pure", or "clean", with the country adding the Hindi, "istan", meaning "land".

So the word is calling them pure or clean with an i at the end - from the "istan", as a way of shortening a word, where we also love nicknames to end in a "y" sound.

However, the problem with it, is probably to do with what people have already said - adding the expletives, but also as I said earlier, in the way it was said - spitting the word out with venom and contempt - the way they do with "hun".

Which is why I was totally bemused by the ludicrous furore over, "My paki friend", unless he said it that way - which to me was a real occurrence of PC gone mad. I didn't like Green but that was nothing.

So to draw a parallel, the hate crime part of "hun" is the way the say it, along with the phrases like, "kill all huns", "hun scum" and "hun [expletive]", which puts it in the same category as "paki" for that but kind of worse due to the additional pejorative connotations.

Now if, as they ironically keep saying, that it is just a word for football fans, then maybe it would not come under the current groupings for which hate words are deemed criminal; however, the use of "minihuns" for other clubs with a legacy of protestant leanings, plus the stuff in NI, plus the FTQ and "kill all protestants" singing, completely debunks that one.

So in conclusion, hun is obviously a hate word, and also pejorative and sectarian, and therefore breaks the law. The problem in court is that judges follow the media driven narrative and this type of argument never seems to be made clear, as far as I can tell from the (media skewed) reports.

Edited by calscot

Rangers supporters used to call Celtic supporters Huns.

Did black people ever call white people niggers? Did Jewish people ever call anybody else Yids or Kikes?

First let me say it is pathetic that anybody calls anyone else names so yes it is a depressing thread.

I suppose it means what you mean by religious bigotry. We have always called each other names and until a few people like nil by mouth and other groups\ media complained nobody on both sides really gave a shit. I actually believe the whole thing was started by Celtic supporters trying one-upmanship thinking the ball would only land in our court. They were wrong to an extent in that they also lost some songs at least at home games. The whole thing has grown arms and legs due to politicians, so called Journalists and other people trying to score points. If we were allowed to call them fenians would we give a toss if they called us huns. I personally don't give a shit what Celtic supporters do or say as long as it is an even playing field and therein lies the problem.

OF course it's religious bigotry.

Part of the problem is that it's become acceptable because of the myth that it's about Rangers. It isn't. It was started in Northern Ireland as a sectarian phrase. It was never a name for Rangers fans, just protestants.

Its not relevant that we (Rangers fans) used it in the 60s and 70s (as did many others). protestants never used it to describe RCs. It's what it is now used as and it's used in the same way as yid, nigger etc.

By bringing Rangers into it you are allowing the likes of ofcom to get away with pushing it under the carpet.

The methodology--a tiny UK-wide survey--is balls. If you asked 250 odd folk in Scotland if the term is offensive, 220 would say it was. Moreover, they could try asking those who use it if it's intended to be insulting and they'd say that was the point.