Help With an Article - The Football Pink - Rangers in the 80s

The UK suffered significantly fewer causalities and infrastructural destruction than most of continental Europe during WW2

Just as an aside I have read that coming out of the war the infrastructure was falling apart because during the conflict they committed all available manpower and resources to the war effort while ignoring infrastructure maintenance for the duration. The end result was vast areas of it were beyond repair by the time attention was turned back to it.

On the housing front we were a million houses short with at least as many more damaged beyond repair. London in particular had been hit hard as they took the greatest fury of the blitz and we lost 60,000 civilian casualties. With all that in mind perhaps not too surprising that it took decades and a series of stadium disasters before attention was focused on our crumbling football grounds regarding which as has been previously mentioned Rangers led the way.

I always felt as if the Bradford City disaster which to me was one of the most horrific of all sort of got lost in the clutter. If people talk about stadium disasters Hillsborough tends to come to mind with Bradford forgotten.

It's no exageration to say that Glasgow was as strong a footballing city as any in the world at the time.

The European Cup and European Cup Winners Cup semi-finals both being played in Glasgow on the same night and watched by in excess of 150,000 fans.

Celtic lost to Inter Milan while we defeated Bayern Munich.

You have to wonder how the polis coped. These days a balloon stall getting opened in George Square sees matches cancelled. :nuts:

• 3 weeks later...

To everyone who replied may I say a massive thank you. All your contributions were extremely helpful and the insights proved invaluable to my article. Here's the article on the Football Pink website if anyone fancies a read. I hope I've done your club justice, and any feedback is most welcome.

Thanks again and good luck for the season. Hopefully your next title isn't too far away.

https://footballpink.net/2016/10/25/before-they-were-famous-part-6/

Well done. If forced to do so and in an uncharitable mood I might find some trivial error.

Good luck to the Toffee Men this season. At the start I fancied them to finish above L/pool. Not so sure now but you never know.