Fernando ricksen – the final battle

I can appreciate saying that Ricksen is no legend and whole-heartedly agree. However, it really is preposterous TB to say "he is as far away from legend status as Sebo". That, frankly, is a ludicrous statement.

Debi was a trier and nothing more, and was a terrible signing. Ricksen may not have been a great signing either.... but to label him, effectively, as being as bad as Sebo is ridiculous.

Not arguing with you Craig as I agree with you but what I will say is Ricksen was a talent that wasted it himself and couldn't have given an 'F' for the team but was more interested in drink and having a good time.(Except for one season) Sebo was a less talented person who tried his best and worked his ass off for the cause and always tried his best. It is a matter of what you prefer. Certainly Ricksen was a class above Sebo.

I can appreciate saying that Ricksen is no legend and whole-heartedly agree. However, it really is preposterous TB to say "he is as far away from legend status as Sebo". That, frankly, is a ludicrous statement.

Debi was a trier and nothing more, and was a terrible signing. Ricksen may not have been a great signing either.... but to label him, effectively, as being as bad as Sebo is ridiculous.

At least sebo always tried. In many ways he was the better signing for that alone.

Not arguing with you Craig as I agree with you but what I will say is Ricksen was a talent that wasted it himself and couldn't have given an 'F' for the team but was more interested in drink and having a good time.(Except for one season) Sebo was a less talented person who tried his best and worked his ass off for the cause and always tried his best. It is a matter of what you prefer. Certainly Ricksen was a class above Sebo.

Got to agree with this.

All about opinions mate, and I absolutely detested Ricksen. Hauled off at the piggery after 25 minutes because Bobby feckin Petta was destroying him set the tone for his career, and it didnt go well from there. He was so bad he had to be moved into midfield to play him as he couldnt be trusted at full back - despite us paying £4M for his services to play there. Periods of suspension and injury were the norm, front page stories about bad behaviour were regular, he was an absolute disgrace with no talent whatsoever, IMO. A few good games in midfield when being protected by Ferguson and chasing a new contract is what some choose to remember, not me.

It might not be a fair comparison to Sebo, but I am genuinely not sure who I am doing the disservice to.

All about opinions mate, and I absolutely detested Ricksen. Hauled off at the piggery after 25 minutes because Bobby feckin Petta was destroying him set the tone for his career, and it didnt go well from there. He was so bad he had to be moved into midfield to play him as he couldnt be trusted at full back - despite us paying £4M for his services to play there. Periods of suspension and injury were the norm, front page stories about bad behaviour were regular, he was an absolute disgrace with no talent whatsoever, IMO. A few good games in midfield when being protected by Ferguson and chasing a new contract is what some choose to remember, not me.

It might not be a fair comparison to Sebo, but I am genuinely not sure who I am doing the disservice to.

Very true about opinions my friend. I just can't personally equate what Ricksen did compared to Sebo. Sebo was a trier and you willed him to aucceeed but on the pitch he gave us nothing. With Ricksen he was certainly not even close to being a legend but he certainly gave the Club more than sebo did, at least from a playing perspective.

I completely agree with others that Sebo as a person was much better than Ricksen but it could be argued that legendary status doesn't often take into account off-field behaviors.

Either way neither of these two could be considered legends but to equate them when Sebo gave us about 3 goals in a season as a striker and was punted BS Ricksen who was a regular in a team that won things and even captained the Club just has my "in-the-box" brain struggling.

Dont be ridiculous SBS, he wasnt even in the top 5 Rangers players that season, never mind a decent celtic team that pushed us all the way. He had a decent few months hiding in midfield when Barry came back which coincidentally was when his contract talks were ongoing after 4 years of utter dross. He could be the wikipedia definition of a wage thief for his £1M plus per year.

I will certainly agree with you that there are a substantial number of players in our HOF that dont deserve to be there. The powers that be have really messed that up big time in recent years.

He was player of the year along with Hartson, and I thought he deserved it.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

He was player of the year along with Hartson, and I thought he deserved it.

That was the year POTY finally gave up being a meaningful accolade. Ricksen wasnt in our top 5, and Hartson wasnt in their top 5. Journos came up with that stupid decision, says more about the journos than the players.

That was the year POTY finally gave up being a meaningful accolade. Ricksen wasnt in our top 5, and Hartson wasnt in their top 5. Journos came up with that stupid decision, says more about the journos than the players.

They're only interested in who makes the best headlines not who plays the best. In that respect at this stage Joey Barton is their player of the year.