Souness calls on Rangers to splash the cash

Everyone seems to be going on about wages do any of you have figures(true ones) if not how can you say what is being paid/earned?.

MW says that reports in the media of sums quoted are way off the mark so unless a detailed breakdown is provided it is all guesswork.

Souness had his time in the wasteful period regards cash splash and bought success,we are unlikely to have that scenario again unless we want to go on another "journey" so let's be patient.

I think the jury is still out on that one but it is certainly not bringing in a yield just yet. As has been said we have only played 1\4 of the season. It does look like Garner was a panic buy though.

A 29 year old who scored 6 goals the season before in the English second tier. Given how skint we are, this goes down as one of our worst ever signings.

I remember when we signed Davy Cooper from Clydebank for a record £100,000 watching him play absolutely rotten at first and thinking what a waste of money--------The rest is history.

So we have to give the boy a chance.

A 29 year old who scored 6 goals the season before in the English second tier. Given how skint we are, this goes down as one of our worst ever signings.

The above post is the epitome of premature impatience.

It may very well turn out to be accurate but it labeling it one of our "worst ever" signings when the player has barely had time to find his way to the training ground is just silly at this point.

Whilst I completely agree that "splashing the cash" is not the way to go and got us to where we were in the first place, the sad reality is that if we want to challenge Celtic then we need better players than we currently have which will cost money - there are always nuggets in the bargain basement but your chances of hitting gold are slimmer than if you are spending a couple of million on a player. So we certainly need to spend money, unless we continue looking for out-of-contract 30-somethings to bolster the team and squad - but that philosophy hasn't worked out too well this season.

And, given the onerous contracts that still tie our hands behind our backs, the only way we will be in a position to challenge them whilst spending SOME money (not exorbitant amounts) would be if someone were to act as a sugar daddy, but knowing that they likely wont get a return on their investment - and I'm not sure who would be willing to do so other than the current encumbents.

I know this is unlikely and I know that not many would go for it - but I personally would be willing to contribute monthly into a transfer fund for the club whereby the funds raised would be cumulated till they get to a decent amount and can then be donated to the Club specifically for transfer fees. If you consider we had 200,000 at the UEFA final - if half of them put a fiver a month into such a fund then you would raise 6 million pounds in year one alone. Just think on what that could do for our transfer and wages budget.

A fiver is barely two pints these days which amounts to half a pint a week you would be giving up.... nothing really.... yet the Club would be in a position to bring in a better standard of player (which we all want) whilst allowing whatever funds the Board are currently taking in to be used to improve the infrastructure and stadium which we all know has been neglected far too long.

I appreciate that it is for the current custodians to run and fund the club - but for the last 4 years (and more) we have all been banging on about this being OUR club, and we all are hurting at being so far behind Celtic, this would be a way of at least trying to help provide a transfer fund without putting financial constraints on other areas of the Club.

And, yes, I know that many thousands of Bears are already contributing by way of their ST's and purchasing from Lionbrand etc - and I do appreciate that many simply can't afford to contribute more.

But for those that have it.... would you give it ? :ninja:

I certainly would but it would need totally honest and trustworthy person/persons to run and administer without looking for any exhorbitant salary for doing so.

Fraught with danger.

Heck, I would administer it myself for free. Being an accountant I have ethical guidelines as Bluedell will tell you - and it certainly isn't worth my professional career to even consider trying to run off with the cash, let alone my life would be ended as I am chased, rightly so, by Bears.

Point being someone like myself, or Bluedell (not offering him up) should have the professional and character reputation to be trusted to do something like this.

The negative to having me do it is that I live in Bermuda - and with all the "tax haven" stuff recently many wouldn't trust someone living outside of the UK.

Regardless, I think that someone could be found that could administer it - or even, it could be rolled into Club1872 as a separate entity with separate bank account and any inward transfers would be specifically for a transfer fund for the club.

The accounting would be pretty straight-forward in fairness - 100% of the transactions would be inward transactions from donors (no salaries etc to pay out) - the biggest issue would be volume of transactions, but not insurmountable.

Obviously this is hypothetical - but for me, I see a fiver (again, if you had 100,000 contributing) as being a very, very small contribution to give the Club a real chance of getting back to where we all want it to be.

If the Club can operate on a "break even" basis on all other aspects of the Club from current revenue streams then this income could be that opportunity for us to see us challenge again.

But I guess I am living in dream land :(

"Splashing the cash" is what got us into so much trouble in the first place.

As many will point out, we were in the black until Advocaat, and even then, if it wasn't for the EBT challenge, we'd be fine right now and probably slightly better off than Celtic and at worst pretty close behind.

We can splash some cash without getting into trouble if the board think it's something they want to do. They can put money in and get it back in equity - if it's the difference between 2nd, a cup and a run in Europe and 4th place with nothing, then it would be a good investment. The fans only get to see their team for their investment, the board are able to invest, take all the kudos and then have a good chance to eventually break even.

Even then, as has been said for decades, you don't buy a club to make money, it's a rich man's toy in the same way as your average Joe buying a sports car or motorbike etc. The latter expects to lose money in return for the enjoyment of the ownership.

Also, as DM showed, you can make money out of it in other ways, and a hell of a lot of prestige and fame - the latter two being something that some of the more otherwise anonymous, successful, self-made men start to crave.

EG, do you want to be a known as a (mundane) Bus company owner or a mover and shaker at a big football club?

A fiver is barely two pints these days which amounts to half a pint a week you would be giving up....

Oof, have to respectfully comment on that one. :) You've been away a long time! ;) Around here a lot of places are about a fiver a pint, or not much less - although there are some bargains at Wetherspoons and other big chains.

Scotland might still be a bit cheaper but Glasgow city centre wasn't last year.

One place I disagree with you is just giving the money to the club - that's just giving it to the shareholders. I think there would have to be an equity swap for a fans group - and what you're talking about already has a similar vehicle.