Rangers v St Johnstone match preview.

we have no wingers, just forwards and CM played out wide

watching forrester and wallace last night was just painful.

Forrester was poor tbh. Elsewhere, I feel sorry for Windass. He looks like a player that is playing like he is trying to "impress" as opposed just doing the effective, simple things. He looks to get forward quickly and this is causing him to make poor decisions IMO. Once he settles, I really think he could a great asset

its fucking dire to watch

we create absolutely nothing

We started well with a good tempo, good passing , possession and attacking, then they scored and we retreated into our shells a wee bit, as the game went on we settled into a pattern of negative possession, by which i mean with that is, ball retention but with little intent or bite. St Johnstone had decent possession to, but the difference was their attacks were threatening, ours looked like we were just going through the drills at times.

I am looking forward to that on Saturday Ian :)

I really can't work out why fans would want to go back the long ball style rather than what we have been and are trying to play these days. It can be frustrating and we are not going to win the league this season but we're heading in the right direction but fans getting on the teams back like you say are not going to help us any!

I'm not!,it is far worse than what is happening on the pitch!,I will have to sit with my fingers in my ears!,or if it is the same as last night I may just take myself to the pub out of harms way!.

I'm not!,it is far worse than what is happening on the pitch!,I will have to sit with my fingers in my ears!,or if it is the same as last night I may just take myself to the pub out of harms way!.

I don't think some fans can change though and that's worrying. If we're not winning by more than a few goals they will still shout and abuse the players when they make a mistake, makes you wonder why they go to the games!

We can all shout etc but some just go to the extreme, along with the ones who constantly shout get it in the box, lump it up the park or shoot from the halfway line, doesn't make it great for the ones sitting around them!

Well that was garbage, again! Our esteemed gaffer, so good in interviews and is doing a fantastic job in rebuilding the club in all aspects from the ashes, is getting tactical lessons from the likes of Tommy Wright.

First half was good, Hodson's howler apart, but again we failed to kick on and, again, our subs weakened our momentum.

I would love someone to time how long we have possession of the ball within 30 yards of our own goal and pass it between the defenders and keeper this season. It is absolutely turgid. Nobody wants to go back to long ball hoof it football, but when we have players and tactics that waste about a third of the game doing absolutely nothing positive just to retain possession, our possession based plan A ain't working. Perhaps that American chap who did some great analysis previously can do it! He would deserve a medal to re-watch what we have served up this season.

For me, it is all about goals. We just dont score them, and we dont have anyone who can score them regularly enough. Our seasons scorers are;

Waggy 8

Halliday 4

Nico, Miller 3

Dodoo ,Forrester, Garner, Hill, Tav 2

McKay, Windass, Holt 1

Take out the 18 goals we scored (6 for Waghorn) in the league cup against lower league opponents (I have kept in the Motherwell game) and it is a very poor return for an expensive (in Scottish terms) side playing supposedly expansive attacking possession based football.

I dont have the answer, I dont want MW sacked, but it is not good at all this season. I am off to Wembley for the NFL this weekend and will miss the game on Saturday, and I was gutted when I seen the fixture list and was going to miss a home game, but right now I dont need to attend to see the game. Groundhog day has been the story of the season, with slightly differing results. All 5 home games have been pretty much identical, with only 6 goals in 5 games against the also-rans of the Premier League, dropping 6 points along the way and that includes a 90th minute winner to beat Motherwell.

I believe MW should be given time and resources to prove his credentials and philosophy, but he has signed a lot of players who have not worked out, at least not yet fully 15 weeks into the season, which should be enough for anyone to bed in or at least look as if they are starting to look the part.

Let me leave anyone still reading this guff with one question to ponder - Does this look like a team all working together and believing in each other, or a team that is fractured with behind the scenes bust ups, players being sacked, some in and out the team every week while others who have been poor retaining their places, and generally very low on morale?

Can't really add anything that's not already been said.

We are a shadow of the team that zipped in 6th gear a year ago and we're getting worse. Our best player McKay is being singled out for special treatment from some of the less cultured supporters in the crowd yet Halliday does very little and seems to be some sort of hero to some merely because he grew up on Copland Road.

The team still looks together mainly,but is needing a kick up the posterior.

The passing movement was great but the speed element seems to have subsided and the galling part is that it starts from the goalkeeper who when unable to release a pass is clueless in his kicking.Also it is not always possible to pass the ball into the net and shots,long corners are needed to vary the play.

Without decrying the lower league managers the SPL ones are more astute and get their players to stifle our movement.

IMO MW has to re-write some of his tactics and have several plans and have them practiced so that they can be adopted during games when necessary.

Edited by MacK1950
spelling

Well that was garbage, again! Our esteemed gaffer, so good in interviews and is doing a fantastic job in rebuilding the club in all aspects from the ashes, is getting tactical lessons from the likes of Tommy Wright.

First half was good, Hodson's howler apart, but again we failed to kick on and, again, our subs weakened our momentum.

I would love someone to time how long we have possession of the ball within 30 yards of our own goal and pass it between the defenders and keeper this season. It is absolutely turgid. Nobody wants to go back to long ball hoof it football, but when we have players and tactics that waste about a third of the game doing absolutely nothing positive just to retain possession, our possession based plan A ain't working. Perhaps that American chap who did some great analysis previously can do it! He would deserve a medal to re-watch what we have served up this season.

For me, it is all about goals. We just dont score them, and we dont have anyone who can score them regularly enough. Our seasons scorers are;

Waggy 8

Halliday 4

Nico, Miller 3

Dodoo ,Forrester, Garner, Hill, Tav 2

McKay, Windass, Holt 1

Take out the 18 goals we scored (6 for Waghorn) in the league cup against lower league opponents (I have kept in the Motherwell game) and it is a very poor return for an expensive (in Scottish terms) side playing supposedly expansive attacking possession based football.

I dont have the answer, I dont want MW sacked, but it is not good at all this season. I am off to Wembley for the NFL this weekend and will miss the game on Saturday, and I was gutted when I seen the fixture list and was going to miss a home game, but right now I dont need to attend to see the game. Groundhog day has been the story of the season, with slightly differing results. All 5 home games have been pretty much identical, with only 6 goals in 5 games against the also-rans of the Premier League, dropping 6 points along the way and that includes a 90th minute winner to beat Motherwell.

I believe MW should be given time and resources to prove his credentials and philosophy, but he has signed a lot of players who have not worked out, at least not yet fully 15 weeks into the season, which should be enough for anyone to bed in or at least look as if they are starting to look the part.

Let me leave anyone still reading this guff with one question to ponder - Does this look like a team all working together and believing in each other, or a team that is fractured with behind the scenes bust ups, players being sacked, some in and out the team every week while others who have been poor retaining their places, and generally very low on morale?

There used to be a fantastic blog that kept all the stats for the Rangers matches, I think on Ibrox Noise. It would have been great to give a proper idea of the performance via statistics that are actually useful rather than an overall possession which doesn't take into account the massive amount of faffing about.

We are doing things right. As the quality of player improves we will turn 70 percent possession into utter doings.

I find that depressing. You're kind of saying our system means we can only win by having far higher factor than the current 3 to 10 times as expensive players as our opposition.

I want a system that generally and definitively beats opposition even if we have the same budget, and also against some teams with more money than us. We can't compete with Celtic, nor do well in Europe without that.