[FT] Hearts 2 - 0 Rangers

Whilst we always line up 4-3-3 we more often than not actually play more 4-5-1 and 2-2-5-1 this far more noticeable live in the flesh so to speak than on the tv.

Take Wednesday for example, the numerous times we punted it forward to Dodoo and Garner there was no sight of the wide players on either side being anywhere near them so on the odd occasions they did win it in the air there was nobody prepared to gamble to run into the space where the ball may drop, basically the lone striker has to chase their own flick ons as none of their fellow forwards are anywhere near them let alone the midfield arriving in support.

I don't think that English league 1 is below SPFL level. And anyway they haven't failed in the sense that they are being relegated. They might yet end up second for all we know - which is about the level of English league 1. I think "failed to step up to the level of challenging for the SPFL" would be more accurate. Most players in any league are not challenging for the title, though, be it League 1 or SPFL.

As an Oxford United fan, I can say with some confidence that League One is a higher standard than the SPL. Celtic might win that division, but the rest of the SPL, ourselves included, would struggle.

I really don't see the point of this question, unless you are suggesting a conspiracy against us?

You're trying too hard to read things into the question. It's a question, and not irrelevant. Particularly if, as with some it is, your answer is "no, not particularly this season".

People have forgotten the 2007/08 season way too easily IMO.

As an Oxford United fan, I can say with some confidence that League One is a higher standard than the SPL. Celtic might win that division, but the rest of the SPL, ourselves included, would struggle.

Cant agree with that Norris, every time I have the misfortune of seeing a game from the English Championship downwards, the quality on show is piss poor. To believe we can select players from this level to come and play at the level we demand under the scrutiny we put them under is a real problem for us. Our players that hit the ground running last year that have come from this level have all been shown up this season under more scrutiny and pressure. Tav, Wes, Halliday, Waggy, all had good seasons last year but have all struggled.

This would make me come to the conclusion that the Scottish Championship is the equivalent of League 1, but the step up (more in scrutiny, organisation and pressure than quality of play) to Premier level requires a much better player than we have managed to acquire.

Good luck to Oxford NC, a quick looka t the table sees you 3 points off a play-off spot, but in the bottom half! Wierd league!

At the moment Neilson seems a good shout. Can do better than Warbs on a fraction of the budget...

But that is what we call a "snap-shot". What worked for him in the here and now at Hearts and the players he got needs not to work at Rangers. What seems not to work for MW right now (and with a lot of midfield trouble included) worked rather well last season (albeit at a different - though not exactly an astronomical unit distant - level). And to be honest, if we beat the Sheep and the Jambos in these next two games, we will look at a somewhat different discussion altogether (well, some will).

In many ways, we have to find our feet again this SEASON ... as has been said umpteen times. Yet, it seems that "season" has a rather liberal definition for some. If things won't go according to plan (and we probably have 500 plans on each fanboard), the acceptance of our current status quo runs very thin. Which is not to say that one can be dismayed from indiviudal performances or games. But to have thread-long debates about where we are and how the season will go on a weekly basis? :rolleyes:

Edited by der Berliner

Cant agree with that Norris, every time I have the misfortune of seeing a game from the English Championship downwards, the quality on show is piss poor. To believe we can select players from this level to come and play at the level we demand under the scrutiny we put them under is a real problem for us. Our players that hit the ground running last year that have come from this level have all been shown up this season under more scrutiny and pressure. Tav, Wes, Halliday, Waggy, all had good seasons last year but have all struggled.

This would make me come to the conclusion that the Scottish Championship is the equivalent of League 1, but the step up (more in scrutiny, organisation and pressure than quality of play) to Premier level requires a much better player than we have managed to acquire.

Good luck to Oxford NC, a quick looka t the table sees you 3 points off a play-off spot, but in the bottom half! Wierd league!

More so than the level of football, I think you're on to something regarding the added pressure of playing for a club the size of Rangers. There are some players at Ibrox just now whom I am far from convinced can handle it.

More so than the level of football, I think you're on to something regarding the added pressure of playing for a club the size of Rangers. There are some players at Ibrox just now whom I am far from convinced can handle it.

Walter was always banging on about that, and I have to say I agree with him. Players that look good at other clubs sometimes dont fit in here under the microscope that we put our team under. To me it looks like MOH fits into this category, for one example. He looks worried sick when he gets the ball when we are not winning, and more often than not looks for an easy out ball. When we are winning he looks much better and confident. I think MW has totally underestimated the emphasis on character when assessing signings, however sympathetic you can be with his budget and lack of scouting assistance.

Whilst we always line up 4-3-3 we more often than not actually play more 4-5-1 and 2-2-5-1 this far more noticeable live in the flesh so to speak than on the tv.

Take Wednesday for example, the numerous times we punted it forward to Dodoo and Garner there was no sight of the wide players on either side being anywhere near them so on the odd occasions they did win it in the air there was nobody prepared to gamble to run into the space where the ball may drop, basically the lone striker has to chase their own flick ons as none of their fellow forwards are anywhere near them let alone the midfield arriving in support.

Is that not a good reason to change to 4-4-2?

Walter was always banging on about that, and I have to say I agree with him. Players that look good at other clubs sometimes dont fit in here under the microscope that we put our team under. To me it looks like MOH fits into this category, for one example. He looks worried sick when he gets the ball when we are not winning, and more often than not looks for an easy out ball. When we are winning he looks much better and confident. I think MW has totally underestimated the emphasis on character when assessing signings, however sympathetic you can be with his budget and lack of scouting assistance.

We see supposedly decent SPL players go to the old firm and flop all the time. It's happened so many times.

The top clubs of any league need players of a certain standard.

We should be focusing on players outwith the UK.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy