A world class footballer?

A debate that goes about and basically comes down to personal opinion.

But what should define a world class footballer? Should there be a structure of a level of player.

Mesut Ozil is the classic example at the moment who is branded as world class but I would say nowhere near it. Ive heard him being compared to Bergkamp a few times which is funny, Bergkamp was a simple world class act. Ozil is never in games yet can put on the odd good show with a touch here and a goal there against lesser opposition. He is a shadow of the player who destroyed England 4-1 in South Africa.

"What is your definition of world-class?"

Bergkamp.

Ozil needs a supporting caste. DB did it on his own if required.

I agree Bergkamp was world-class but you can't then compare him to Ozil without specifying exactly what makes him world-class. What exactly did Bergkamp "do on his own"?

Bobby Moore was world-class but exhibits none of the qualities Bergkamp did.

I seen on Sky Sports this morning Ozil actually has more assists than Bergkamp achieved in the first 100 games. Ozil is also only slightly behind on goals per game also. Bergkamp was a special player, but so is Ozil in his own way - I don't think anyone has more assists. I think any definition of "world-class" must take into account position. In his position Ozil is world-class.

Edited by Rousseau

Hard to specify "world class". Like a camel, hard to describe but you know one when you see one.

In some games Ozil doesn't look effective so you can leave him with one marker. But a defence could never take their eyes off Bergkamp or relax double marking.

I don't really get the comparison with Bergkamp because they played quite different positions.

I think debating over whether a player like Ozil is world class is a bit pointless really. Given his track record, who he's played for and what he's won, he's clearly up there. He wouldn't get into any best XI of the world, but he's a top player.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I think he is world-class.

What is your definition of world-class?

As I said its down to personal opinion. But I would say someone who can perform at the highest level consistently. The odd bad game is accepted. But Ozil is the opposite, he only has the odd good game and has never played well in Arsenals big games.

Bergkamp was truly world class.

I think there is a bracket above World Class for Maradona, Messi, Zidane, etc

World class was Willie Johnston, I was only a kid but I still and always will believe he was truly World Class.

Football was rather different back then. Willie played in a great side which won a European Trophy scoring two goals to clinch the cup.

If he was born 40 years later he'd be challenging Messi instead of Ronaldo...Can't prove it though.

As I said its down to personal opinion. But I would say someone who can perform at the highest level consistently. The odd bad game is accepted. But Ozil is the opposite, he only has the odd good game and has never played well in Arsenals big games.

Bergkamp was truly world class.

I think there is a bracket above World Class for Maradona, Messi, Zidane, etc

Yes, 'freaks' for the latter.

Is that not just revisionism, though, because he's been retired for over a decade? Did Bergkamp really play exceptionally -- barring a game or two -- in every game he played, even the big games? I'm not so sure.

The only players that can win games on their own are strikers/forwards and attacking midfielders; a defender can't win a game on their own, although they can see it out or defend a draw. Bergkamp could win a game on his own because he could score a goal out of nothing. Ozil is not that type of player. He will set up the winning goal, and has done more than any other player, by quite a distance. You can't mark him down for being in a team that tends to choke in the big games.

I agree the comparison between Bergkamp and Ozil is silly -- they're too different.

I think any definition of "world-class" must take into account the players position; they have to be exceptional in their role/position. Ozil is the best creator in the world, therefore he has to be included in the world-class category.

Edited by Rousseau

I think any definition of "world-class" must take into account the players position; is the best creator in the world, therefore he has to be included in the world-class category.

Will reply to the rest later, reading from phone now....but that is utter nonsense. So you don't get a world class defender??? Maldini?

Sorry if read wrong,...will read for proper later when home but position has got nothing to do with it.

Edited by Gribz