Steven McLean set to referee his first Old Firm match

Steven McLean set to referee his first Old Firm match in this weekend’s Hogmanay showdown at Ibrox

The whistler will be the man in the middle for Saturday's Ladbrokes Premiership clash between Rangers and Celtic

STEVEN McLEAN will make his Old Firm debut after being chosen to referee this weekend’s Hogmanay showdown at Ibrox.

McLean – who was the man in the middle in*last season’s Scottish Cup Final – will take charge of his first Rangers vs Celtic*clash on Saturday.

The 35-year-old official will be assisted by Frank Connor and Douglas Ross, with John Beaton the fourth official.

It will be the first time in four years Scotland’s most experience whistler Craig Thomson won’t take charge of the match.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/356476/steven-mclean-set-to-referee-his-first-old-firm-match-in-this-weekends-hogmanay-showdown-at-ibrox/

McLean gave one of the worst refereeing performances of our time, in the last match he officiated at Ibrox.

On Saturday, he will be under such "scrutiny" by the sellik-minded, and assorted fellow travellers, that he will give fhilthfootballclub

just about everything.

I am advised by text to bet on a red card for Garner, but will not do so, for reasons of conscience.

Oh please!

We move into injury time against Abergreen, the Bears holding a most comfortable 2-zip lead. The Dandy Dons right back floats one up the line to Constadine. He jumps against Wallace and wins the ball by the use of an outstretched arm. It's basketball. a fully up right hand palms the ball down, we await a second yellow for Constadine and subsequent red? Nope, McLean awards a free kick to Abergreen, and irony of ironies, the guy who should be off the pitch heads the ball into the net.

Now, BBC Scotland's Sportscene do NOT show the above in it's highlights package, no discussion, no condemnation, McLean's sin is clean.

We're doomed I tell you, doomed!

McLean is an utter disgrace, he has never had a quiet game in charge of us. I was always somewhat relieved that he was so bad he would never get an OF game, but he must have proven his Rangers-hating credentials recently sufficiently to be awarded the game and a new shiny red card to use on our players.

Without sounding paranoid, this appointment is worth a goal of a start for the scum.

I expect Garner will be looking at a minimum yellow card because he's going to be his usual wild man self and they will be looking to get him booked. But in reality I don't think he is a retaliatory type of player. He gives it out in spades but when it comes back at him all I have ever seen is him picking himself up and getting on with it.