Club 1872 Hogmanay Fixture Statement

Dar't can I ask is there any enthusiasm within the board of Club1872 in regards to, balloting their membership for a vote on Celtic ticket allocation at Ibrox for future games? A clear mandate for a ticket reduction from the membership, would carry some weight should Club1872 take this further with the Rangers board.

I think there would be a successful vote for a vast reduction, as feelings have hardened in the Rangers supporting ranks, towards them in view of their increasing violence not forgetting a plethora of bigoted, sectarian and terrorist glorification paraphernalia, on show when we play them.

To be honest bud I dont think it matters whether there is enthusiasm within the Club 1872 board or not. And what I mean by that is that this is a member driven organisation and if that was the feeling of our members then it would be a function and duty of the Club 1872 board to communicate that to the Rangers board.

To be honest bud I dont think it matters whether there is enthusiasm within the Club 1872 board or not. And what I mean by that is that this is a member driven organisation and if that was the feeling of our members then it would be a function and duty of the Club 1872 board to communicate that to the Rangers board.

In that case then, who do i contact in club1872, to ask for a membership ballot for a vast reduction of the Celtic supporters ticket allocation for Ibrox?

Disappointing that the statement doesn't highlight the sectarian nature of one of the effigies and that it wasn't just a Rangers fan that was being hung.

I've been critical of journalists for doing the same, eg Michael Grant in yesterday's The Times, but it's difficult to criticise if we do the same ourselves.

Yes, me too - I was astonished at this: "the hanging of effigies of Rangers supporters " = exactly what I've been critical of the MSM for writing

Admirable sentiments and it's good that someone is making these points to Police Scotland on behalf of the fans, although one assumes that much the same would be addressed in the pre match briefing between the Match Commander and Robin Howe (who previously held that position) and David Martin for Rangers.

I do feel however, that great care should be taken with such public statements. The second sentence is a bit of a monster and when I was at school long ago, I was taught never to end a sentence with a preposition; although I know that "rule" has been somewhat relaxed these days. And (yes I know don't begin a sentence with a conjunction!) surely it should be "the minute's silence" not "the minute silence", which is capable of two meanings and might be deliberately misinterpreted by some mischief makers.

Let's all hope that the match passes off without incident, at least off the pitch.

I'm reasonably strict on such grammatical matters, BH, to the point of pedantry* some might say. As with so many things we were taught as "grammatical rules", they are actually stylistic fashions rather than having basis in linguistic rigour. The 'do not end a sentence with a preposition' one was introduced by one the neo-classicists Dryden, Pope or Addison. Dryden, I think, complaining of Pope using one such sentence in a piece of one-upmanship snobbery over classical learning misapplied to English. Basically they wanted English to run as much as possible on Latin lines but those Roman tracks were not made for the English language. However, teachers for centuries afterwards followed these fashion guidelines as though they were strict rules and even now they hold some sway.

In summary, ending a sentence with a preposition is not 'wrong', but it can often appear inelegant and there is usually a more elegant way to write a sentence that avoids doing this. Consequently, there is some justification to this being a guideline to good writing if not a rule per se.

The second non-rule, re not starting a sentence with a conjunction (probably from the same sources though, tbh, I cannot clearly recall) has no merit behind it whatsoever. As Bill Bryson put it in "Troublesome Words": “The belief that and should not be used to begin a sentence is without foundation. And that’s all there is to it.”

I write this as someone who was chastised at school if I ever started a sentence with "but". Oh to go back and point all this out ;)

I also agree more care should be taken but I'm always hesitant to point out infelicitous sentence construction or grammatical errors as, quite rightly, the replies come back with "well, at least they are doing something, what are you doing?". On the other hand, the more carefully a message is written then the clearer it is heard.

* I prefer the term, "accuracy". ;-)

Now, about Joe Garner............

Edited by SteveC

For your sake Steve, I dearly hope there are no grammatical errors in that post :D

I did panic at the thought myself and then thought - ah well, hell mend me if there are any. My excuse would be that a note in a forum is not held to such strict standards. However, that is rather flimsy and so it would be a "riddy". Therefore I am going to bed without checking it as I want to have a peaceful sleep.

Goodnight all.

After the game at Parkhead were the club not approached by Club1872 or RST about banning them from Ibrox? Anyaway after their antics it gave the board the perfect chance to do something this time. They could have reduced their ticket allocation to the bare minimum even if it meant leaving the majority of the Broomie empty. But no, they don't want to fall out with SPFL.

Time we banned away fans to these games...the games a bogey up here now.

Hanging effigies of people of religion is a new 'high', 'Hun Scum' and 'No your place' banners also new to our shores, considering Scotland has a 'minority' of Catholics it's quite worrying how these 'threats' are not being treated with concern especially since young Rangers kids following their Dad's and Uncle's to the football are getting caught up in the chaos and getting 'bottled' just because of their interest in Rangers.

Most concerning is the SNP government who seem to appear to take this developing situation as a nothing ...

Even more concerning is the SNP governments involvement with Celtic people and BBC Scotland.