[FT] Motherwell 0 - 2 Rangers (Miller 72; Hyndman 87)

Obviously second is the objective at this stage but the major priority is top 3 and we're now sitting 11 points clear of the competition for a top 3 spot. I say well done the manager for guiding what was an initially misfiring team to such a comfortable cushion after all the wailing from day one from without and within about being top 6 at best.

The two new guys look like useful acquisitions even before they get up to top speed. I'm now more or less taking it for granted that we're going to get a minimum top 3 with the chance at the Euro league it brings and hoping preparations for getting us into that Euro league and a minimum £8 to £10 million boost are already in process.

Absolutely must get that Euro league run money which will leave those below us trailing in our wake which all on it's own would make the competition for the league a far closer affair. I don't think we could realistically have expected any better than the manager has delivered given the catastrophe of the previous 4 years and the still existing hurdles in our way.

In my view the manager has delivered despite the fact he himself had to go through somewhat of a learning curve this season along with a lot of other unforeseen hassle. It might be argued that he's more important for the future of the club right now than any player in the squad is. He's an intelligent man and I don't see how we could get any better than him right now so i'm also hoping moves are taking place to secure his services beyond his current contract.

O'Halloran went for the ball totally mis-timed and without malice caught the player high up - Red card.

Kiernan went for the ball and won it - a good solid tackle with no intent to injure - not even a yellow imo.

McDonald lost control therefore possession of the ball then went for the player instead with intent to damage him, he left his studs on Miller which could have finished his career right there and then - Red card. McGhee is a bitter bitter man who is used to failure but just can't handle defeat to Rangers.

Any club who employs this vile individual is their choice and that's up to them, but the decision to have him involved in our International set-up is baffling to say the least.

Go to 9 mins in here and tell me that was a "solid tackle". Straight leg to get the ball, but at the same time also full throttle at the player ... somewhere in the middle of the pitch. That Yellow was darker than O'Halloran's Red, IMHO.

Edited by der Berliner

That idiot McDonald won't rule out appealing his red card! Says there was no intent and tackles like his happen "every week". Says he and club will discuss taking it further tomorrow.

What a tadger!!

He is ex-Celtic, he will win.

Red cards aside it was a decent away win after an inconsistent start in which we were all far more apprehensive about playing away at any ground. Give us a repeat on Wednesday and we're well on our way to a Euro spot with a chance at some much needed finance.

we played well today...our new guys look the biz........happy camper here

I don't get the positive comments on Toral. Yet again he offered little.

As one of my mates said on FB "I thought Toral was abysmal. I have never ever seen a player so unacceptably shit at jockeying/ closing/ pressing opponents, and on the ball he created nothing to offset that. In fact I'd say the game turned for us when Waghorn replaced him."

Someone else added "He didn't look any better than Holt, Windass or Forrester based on today's showing." and I'd agree with both comments.

I don't like being negative about our players and I hope that he turns round and sticks it to me in the way that Clint Hill is doing (looked like a donkey in his first couple of games) but I just don't see it at this point.

Have to agree with Bluedell here. Even though calling someone "abysmal" will probably stretch it. He clearly needs some games and a little time to adapt from Spanish footie to our's, and the amount of time he gets on the ball.

Given where we are right now, we tend "to lament on a high level". We clearly see that there is quite a bit of room to improvement, yet I would say that Holt, Windass, Forrester and Waghorn have it in themselves to make that upgrade. We saw with Hyndman how a fit and quick-thinking footballer can do that and the sooner we get our folk on the same wave-length the better. Sure, Motherwell tired late on, but that was also due to our constant pressure in the second half. But as soon as Waghorn and Forrester arrived, we played on a different level up front. What held and still holds us back is the IMHO unnecessary "two-touch before passing the ball" football. Likewise, it beggars belief at times that people just don't take the ball and run with it, instead passing it back or sideways and whatnot. When they have space in front of them, run! Put the opposition under pressure and don't allow them any time for getting into position. It should be simple. This is where Forrester, Windass and Holt are better than e.g. Halliday.

Granted, Halliday's role is different, but how often do we see him slowing the game down instead of running with the ball himself, thus allowing his fellow players go into attacking positions instead of staying back and waiting for the expected side-pass? Right now, much like Holt, I wouldn't mind giving him a well deserved break and hand Hyndman his prime role.

Regarding Toral, (a bit reminiscent of Zelalem, who seemed to have the loan-directive: "has to play if fit no matter what") I'd use him a bit later in the game, when people tire and he gets more time on the ball. Miller was immense as a creative attacker, but we don't need three of those and consequently have no striker to hurt the opposition. Hence we labour to every goal we score. I'd give Miller the Toral job for Wednesday, have either Dodoo or Waghorn through the middle, or even Dodoo through the middle and Waghorn on the right. He very much looks up for it.