Craig Thomson apologises to St Johnstone

SORRY TOMMY Referee Craig Thomson apologises to St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright and admits he blew Celtic penalty call

Thomson phoned the Perth boss to admit he cocked up by awarding a penalty against Keith Watson for handling a Kieran Tierney cross

BLUNDER ref Craig Thomson has apologised to St Johnstone gaffer Tommy Wright for his howler against Celtic.

Thomson phoned the Perth boss to admit he cocked up by awarding a penalty against Keith Watson for handling a Kieran Tierney cross.

The whistler pointed to the spot in Sunday’s McDiarmid Park clash despite the ball clearly hitting the Saints man on the hip instead of his hand.

That allowed Moussa Dembele to equalise before the Hoops ran out eventual 5-2 winners.

Wright savaged Thomson after the match. But since having their conversation, he has drawn a line under the affair.

And the Saints boss insists he would be happy for him to take charge of this weekend’s Scottish Cup tie with Partick.

Wright said: “I really appreciate Craig taking the time to call and we had a good chat about Sunday’s game.“We’ve cleared the air and there are no problems whatsoever between us.“I feel it is important mangers and referees have a good relationship and this sort of communication can only help.“My opinion on the key incidents haven’t changed, but it is done and dusted now — it’s gone.

“We now move on as a team and a club.

“If Craig gets our game with Partick on Saturday I have no problem with that at all. He is a good referee and I have total respect for him.

“I still think the three decisions I highlighted after the match should all have been different in the context of that game.

“But referees, like managers and players, make mistakes.

“Coming on the back of a penalty decision at Celtic Park which we didn’t get, Sunday magnified how we felt wronged.

“The controversy overshadowed a cracking game of football and that’s a pity.

“But I know Craig wouldn’t have wanted that and neither do we.”

The penalty decision changed the course of Sunday’s game, with Celtic eventually running out 5-2 winners.

Wright admits the quality of the Hoops’ fifth goal was lost on him amid the fog of his anger.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/545762/referee-craig-thomson-apologises-to-st-johnstone-boss-tommy-wright-and-admits-he-blew-celtic-penalty-call/

After watching the video I'm sure Thomson could not have had any other course of action. I also would think that Thomson was encouraged to make the call by others in the game.

Fans would be driven away from the game if they thought that corruption was this blatant and not merely a mistake.

However, his mea culpa moment does nothing for St. Johnstone or the rest of the teams in the league.

After watching the video I'm sure Thomson could not have had any other course of action. I also would think that Thomson was encouraged to make the call by others in the game.

Fans would be driven away from the game if they thought that corruption was this blatant and not merely a mistake.

However, his mea culpa moment does nothing for St. Johnstone or the rest of the teams in the league.

The decision achieved it's purpose as did the one re Brown and Swanson.

Mistakes happen but some refs make to many to often , stand him down for a month .

There should be some form of system of points, like speeding, so when a referee gets a certain amount of points, he's 'given a rest' for a month say. If he then gets that number of points again within a certain period of time, he then gets moved down a division for a period of time etc. The number of points given should be determined by the mistake in question.

May sound silly, but could work...

There should be some form of system of points, like speeding, so when a referee gets a certain amount of points, he's 'given a rest' for a month say. If he then gets that number of points again within a certain period of time, he then gets moved down a division for a period of time etc. The number of points given should be determined by the mistake in question.

May sound silly, but could work...

There is indeed such a system of points which are assessed by the Clubs as well as the SFA Supervisors although it doesn't operate in quite the way you would like it does determine the leagues/games appointments a referee gets and most importantly the FIFA List.

I would doubt that very much, Thomson is at the top of the tree and I doubt any other referee would be comfortable offering him such advice.

I strongly suspect that he acted of his own volition or may have consulted his supervisor first.

He's not the first referee to apologise for making a mistake and he won't be the last.

I would doubt that very much, Thomson is at the top of the tree and I doubt any other referee would be comfortable offering him such advice.

I strongly suspect that he acted of his own volition or may have consulted his supervisor first.

He's not the first referee to apologise for making a mistake and he won't be the last.

You are, no doubt, an honest guy BH but I was not thinking of other referees.

There again maybe I'm just getting overly cynical about the nest(s) of vipers, so to speak, that reside in Hampden.