MW on Talksport soon

The Board may have screwed up by (agreeing) or otherwise delaying putting the first agreement in writing but in any event, if a verbal offer to resign was made and accepted by the Club particularly with the conditions being agreed, as I understand Scots Law, that's a binding agreement. The fact that the agent came back to renegotiate would serve to confirm the first agreement.

It seems that the Club have belatedly confirmed the initial agreement but I think they are on strong ground although they may be forced to make a small payment under threat of litigation.

He may get a settlement subject to a confidentiality agreement.

No class, none of them. Question to everyone. You walk into your work and say to your manager "I'm leaving as I have a job lined up somewhere else" boss says, "no probs, no hard feelings". Next day "sorry boss, they don't want me any more, can I have my job back??". Now, I seriously doubt anyone in here would have the brass neck for that and if they did, we all know what the answer would be.

Give them nothing. They were getting plenty and we're handsomely paid!

No class, none of them. Question to everyone. You walk into your work and say to your manager "I'm leaving as I have a job lined up somewhere else" boss says, "no probs, no hard feelings". Next day "sorry boss, they don't want me any more, can I have my job back??". Now, I seriously doubt anyone in here would have the brass neck for that and if they did, we all know what the answer would be.

Give them nothing. They were getting plenty and we're handsomely paid!

To be honest that actually happened to a colleague of mine and he was welcomed back. He got an agreement that he could return within a month and did that. Later he had a fall out with the boss and they eventually gave him a payoff. Instead of being thankful he got his Job back he was rebellious to everything.

The Board may have screwed up by (agreeing) or otherwise delaying putting the first agreement in writing but in any event, if a verbal offer to resign was made and accepted by the Club particularly with the conditions being agreed, as I understand Scots Law, that's a binding agreement. The fact that the agent came back to renegotiate would serve to confirm the first agreement.

It seems that the Club have belatedly confirmed the initial agreement but I think they are on strong ground although they may be forced to make a small payment under threat of litigation.

I think under Scots law a contract is binding after a verbal agreement but don't know if this qualifies as a contract agreement. Dissolving a contract isn't the same thing as agreeing to a contract.

Clients will often presume that verbal agreements are not binding. However, as a general rule, the law considers that verbal agreements are legally binding. Whilst there are some exceptions to this (such as Settlement Agreements between employers and employees or agreements for the sale and purchase of land), verbal agreements can be enforceable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_contract_law

A Contract is formed by the acceptance of an offer; an offer can be constituted by responding to an invitation to treat.

A contract is a legally binding voluntary agreement that is formed when one person makes an offer, and the other accepts it. There may be some preliminary discussion before an offer is formally made. Such pre-contractual representations are known variously as “invitations to treat”, ”requests for information” or “statements of intention”.

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/club-statement-74/

"At a meeting with the management team’s representative earlier this week the Club were advised that Mr Warburton, Mr Weir and Mr McParland wished to resign their positions and leave the Club on condition that Rangers agreed to waive its rights to substantial compensation. Rangers’ agreement to waive compensation would assist the management team to join another club. This compensation amount was agreed when Rangers significantly improved Mr Warburton and Mr Weir’s financial arrangements before the start of this season. The Board urgently convened to consider the offer made on behalf of the management team and its ramifications and agreed to accept it and release the trio from the burden of compensation, despite the potential financial cost to the Club." ...

..."The representative acting for the management team subsequently attempted to alter the terms of what had been agreed in favour of the management team. A further Board meeting was held this afternoon to discuss this and it was decided not to agree to this additional request but to hold with the original agreement." ...

..."Mr Warburton, Mr Weir, and Mr McParland have therefore been notified in writing that their notices of termination have been accepted." ...

As a starting point we have to accept that the Club's statement is accurate.

This shows that a contract was in place from the beginning of last week to release the management team without any compensation for Rangers.{How long ago did W,W, & McP know that a suitable opening would appear?} The Board executed the conditions of that agreed contract - contract fulfilled.

When the representative attempted to counter the execution of said contract then the Board were quite within their rights to refuse his offer and would not accept agreement on a new contract.

Sorry, we don't want you if you can't commit to the famous shirt. Bye, bye thanks for your effort.

The board played a binder.

Edited by barca72