PRESS CONFERENCE | Pedro Caixinha | 16 Mar 2017

Methodologies.....matrices.....I sense that some correspondents (M.Rousseau, perhaps) will already be in a state of some, ahem, excitement.

Methodologies, Matrices, Tactical Periodisation... Phwoar! Say it again. Slowly.

Yes, I'm excited with how he works -- it's a modern way that I think is lacking in British football. However, I'd much prefer to see a tangible benefit in the players and team performance.

It's clear to see he is very knowledgeable about the tactical aspect of the game and the technical details. Even good British managers/coaches don't talk like that. He's clearly from a country that values the tactical element, and Ian Cathro said as much last week:

"In Portugal you have three newspapers about football and they talk more about football.

“So everyone’s tactics and more technical things are under more scrutiny and talked about by more people. And my understanding is here we are more headline and story driven.

“But they have three daily newspapers to fill so naturally they go deeper into things. That means there is more discussion of line-ups and systems.”

Most refreshing.

I have been reading the local paper this morning ( Nottingham Evening Post ).

They have a new Manager, I'm sure I've heard the interviews before somewhere. The very same soundbites and cliches as uttered in Glasgow, praising Frank being one of them of course.

Pedro is like a breath of fresh air, it will be interesting to see how he copes on and off the park.

More than just words can be taken his methodologies are more than words, they're methods?

The way he is breaking down the game into 4 scenarios and linking them to behaviour is fantastic. If we react in the correct way we are halfway there. His words are detailing his actions rather than being rhetoric

Methodologies, Matrices, Tactical Periodisation... Phwoar! Say it again. Slowly.

Tactical Periodisation is little more than a buzz word. All it really is, is the transitional phase of the game - offensive to defensive transition or vice versa. Guardiola's Barca were excellent at preventing opponents from the defensive to offensive transitional phase by having the closest 3 players pressure the ball for 5-7 seconds immediately after losing it, to prevent the opponents from entering the offensive transition.

Yes, I'm excited with how he works -- it's a modern way that I think is lacking in British football. However, I'd much prefer to see a tangible benefit in the players and team performance.

Agreed - he talks a good game, of that there is no doubt - but the proof will be in what he can get out of his players - but I am excited.

It's clear to see he is very knowledgeable about the tactical aspect of the game and the technical details. Even good British managers/coaches don't talk like that. He's clearly from a country that values the tactical element, and Ian Cathro said as much last week:

"In Portugal you have three newspapers about football and they talk more about football.

“So everyone’s tactics and more technical things are under more scrutiny and talked about by more people. And my understanding is here we are more headline and story driven.

“But they have three daily newspapers to fill so naturally they go deeper into things. That means there is more discussion of line-ups and systems.”

Most refreshing.

I am not as convinced about this as you are. It doesn't mean that the British managers don't consider all of these things - it could very easily be that they are just more guarded in their delivery of them. Whilst I very much enjoyed Pedro's Presser and it was really, really pleasing to see it - but on the flip side there could be concern about him being too open.

We live in an information age and we crave more and more information - however, that doesn't mean that we should, as fans, get it. It can also make opponents aware of what we are doing and expect to do against them.

Tactical Periodisation is little more than a buzz word. All it really is, is the transitional phase of the game - offensive to defensive transition or vice versa. Guardiola's Barca were excellent at preventing opponents from the defensive to offensive transitional phase by having the closest 3 players pressure the ball for 5-7 seconds immediately after losing it, to prevent the opponents from entering the offensive transition.

Of course, most are just buzz words. In this case it's just a way of thinking about the game, which helps coaches and players think about the game and prepare accordingly. It is a Portuguese methodology so I'm not sure how well traveled it is in the UK.

Agreed - he talks a good game, of that there is no doubt - but the proof will be in what he can get out of his players - but I am excited.

Agreed -- the proof is always in the pudding.

I am not as convinced about this as you are. It doesn't mean that the British managers don't consider all of these things - it could very easily be that they are just more guarded in their delivery of them. Whilst I very much enjoyed Pedro's Presser and it was really, really pleasing to see it - but on the flip side there could be concern about him being too open.

We live in an information age and we crave more and more information - however, that doesn't mean that we should, as fans, get it. It can also make opponents aware of what we are doing and expect to do against them.

I wasn't suggesting that most British managers don't know these things, it's just that they don't talk about them. Whether that is because they are more guarded or perhaps the media just doesn't value it as much -- Cathro suggests they prefer the headline -- I don't know? Caixinha seems more comfortable with it because he has been exposed to that level of detail and discussion. I think we can discuss the different theories of the game more -- tactics, formations, training sessions, philosophies, principles etc. -- without revealing the game plan. I don't think he's revealing what we're doing in the next game; he's only discussing his principles of the game.

We do crave more information nowadays, but it does seem like there is a more in-depth level of tactical discussion is already happening on the continent. I see it as a virtuous circle: The more these ideas as discussed the more fans learn, the more the media focus on it, the better informed the fans are and ultimately future players. If a young player in, for example, Portugal is exposed to a more in-depth level of tactical discussion from a young age, then surely that only benefits the future player?

Edited by Rousseau

You can use all the Buzz words you want but if players can't trap a ball or have a tackle like a ballet dancer then all the tactics in the world won't make a winning side.