Rangers set to complete Darren Fletcher deal

I mean this is all nonsense, innit? Not just the Darren Fletcher rumour that looks like complete fiction but also the 'tell me the four best young players' story. I mean if there's any word of truth in that then sign me up too for Ser Barstian Selmy's now closed thread. Any new manager should surely look at the squad for a couple of weeks and then say 'I need a centre half, a right midfielder and a sitting midfielder' or something like that? Not 'go sign me random young players'.

I've my worries over Caixinha, everyone in Portugal seems astonished he's become our manager, but I'm willing to give the man a chance and see if perhaps he's learned a few things since leaving his homeland. But not for long if there's one scintilla of truth in that Jellybeans post.

From jellybeans on FF:[

what I have actually heard is Pedro asked the board who best 4 players in Scotland were. He was told Teirney, Armstrong, Walker and Cummings..he said get me the 2 that you can.

Surely that's not true :laugh:. What a bizarre recruitment policy that would be. They aren't even the best 4 players.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Not to mention any decent manager should know himself who the best four players are in Scotland.

Why , he probably never even watched Scottish football until he thought about applying for our job , it's like saying who's the best 4 players in the Belgian or Swiss or Norwegian leagues , unless of course your tongue was firmly in your cheek Frankie in which case I've dived right in and bit hook line and sinker lol.

Why , he probably never even watched Scottish football until he thought about applying for our job , it's like saying who's the best 4 players in the Belgian or Swiss or Norwegian leagues , unless of course your tongue was firmly in your cheek Frankie in which case I've dived right in and bit hook line and sinker lol.

No, I'm serious bud... :)

Going by the manager's comments he's been watching hours upon hours of Scottish football in recent weeks so I'd fancy he'll be up to speed on who the most influential players are and, crucially who of these we could sign. OK he may not know every single thing about everything single player but - along with the correct advisers - he should be able to form his own opinion on any possible domestic transfer targets.

In any case, I don't think there will be many players in Scotland he'd genuinely want that we could a) afford and b) attract outwith Bosmans.

Edited by Frankie

I've no idea how accurate the "best 4" quote is, or if it is how literally it was meant to be taken, but if the gist of it is that the core of the Rangers team should be composed of top, home-grown talent then it's not too crazy a statement is it?

You could argue that Scotland isn't producing players of the quality we want, but bringing in home-based players is, generally speaking, good for any team's identity and it gives the fans a greater sense of connection. Also, as points of pride, Rangers should be the club that top Scottish players aspire to play for, and Rangers players should form a major contingent in the national side.

From jellybeans on FF:

This is funny, but what's ridiculous is that anyone would treat this as a serious story. If you're going to wind someone up, surely you need to do better than this.