Rangers' PR: Succulent lambs to the slaughter

Our PR is nonexistent and all we get is dignified silence but would Celtic have apologised had it been there fans who made the racist gestures?

No need for the club to apologise for one or two fans behaviour.....a swift & decisive statement condoning the action, affirming the clubs stance on racism & immediate actions against the perpetrators should have sufficed.

Reference racism.

When BBC Scotland did their follow up to 1986's 'Only a Game', it was handed over pretty much to Stuart Cosgrove. It was entitled 'Scotland's Game' and it's remit was to update the original, thirty years since it's release. Their was a huge glaring error in episode one, Mark Walters debut at Sellik Park on the 2nd January'88. The single worse example of racism in UK football. It is deserving of a one-two hour documentary all on it's own.

The club should be asking BBC Scotland to explain it's omission.

Reference racism.

When BBC Scotland did their follow up to 1986's 'Only a Game', it was handed over pretty much to Stuart Cosgrove. It was entitled 'Scotland's Game' and it's remit was to update the original, thirty years since it's release. Their was a huge glaring error in episode one, Mark Walters debut at Sellik Park on the 2nd January'88. The single worse example of racism in UK football. It is deserving of a one-two hour documentary all on it's own.

The club should be asking BBC Scotland to explain it's omission.

That's uncanny 26th as I was thinking the same earlier. They should have been reminded of this when brandishing Rangers fans over the actions of two morons as Racists.

Iirc that day it was raining bananas from what was ironically called the jungle at the piggery. This episode which you quite correctly highlight, was the worst and most glaring episode of racist abuse in Scottish football history.

It appears it, like many other things concerning that mob, had now been airbrushed from history.

Thanks for the feedback. After the last couple of weeks, and although the problem has lasted for years, it became an issue that needs to be addressed.

On top of the week-to-week issues highlighted we also have to unbelievably huge issues coming up on the horizon - the Whyte court case and the big tax case. If both go the right way we could completely change the narrative surrounding our club, what has happened to it and how we have been treated. Do we have a PR firm capable of doing that? I'd have serious doubts to say the least.

Our club takes more hits than most and therefore effective and proactive PR is imperative. Our current approach simply isn't working. I just hope the board can see that.

I read the (London) Times every day and virtually every day there is a story about Celtic. It's very much the exception that they don't have something about them. Rangers get around 10% of the coverage.

We need a strong PR department to start generating positive stories about us on a daily basis. We need to be competing for these column inches.

Today we have Rodgers commenting on betting sponsors and another one on Rodgers commenting about Jonny Hayes. Nothing from us.

It's not rocket science. We just need to be proactive and we are failing miserably.

should the likes of Club1872 not be challenging the club's non-existent PR ?

Absolutely but there may be a number of reasons why they aren't:

* could jeopardise a seat in the directors box.

* why do something through C1872 when you can do it through you're own blog/organisation and are not answerable to anyone

* may not be their area of expertise and haven't engaged with someone whose area it is.

* may involve some level of work

Believe it or not we actually did have a very good PR agency at Rangers for a number of years, however the issue isn't always who does the PR but what strategy they employ to achieve the brief they've been given. That was certainly the case when Media House were retained.

I can't comment on Level 5, I've no personal experience of them. What I would say though is they are simply a company employed by the club to carry out a task. None of us know what their brief is and how their performance is measured. In my opinion the issue lies with our board of directors and our Chief Executive. They do the hiring and firing, they set the strategy. None of us know what Level 5 have been asked to do, what resources they've got to do it and how it's being measured. Until we do it's hard to criticise the PR company involved.

I would point out though that our current board haven't received much criticism in the media, so the PR company might actually be doing the job they are paid to do very well.

I agree entirely with the OP that our PR needs over-hauled, I'm just not convinced the issue lies entirely with the PR agency we employ.

Posted this on FF the other day in regard to the Cooney stuff

No point writing to anyone connected with the Rhecord they'll just laugh.

It's Rangers you should be directing your missives to, it's decades of ineptitude by Rangers Boards in all their various guises that has cultured the situation we now have where every man and his dog can have a pop with complete and utter impunity.

It appears it's only when the attacks are at the Directors themselves that anything gets done i.e Jackson and Spiers. seriously who had the brain fart and thought it would be a good idea to grant an interview to Spiers?

Can the Directors not see the constant demonising of the Club and its support is affecting the brand and the penny pinching attitude to PR will cost us dear reputationally and commercially?

Traynor is an experiment that has failed miserably and should be let go immediately, furfuxake bite the bullet and get someone at least half capable like David Burnside in before we reach the point of no return.