Craig Houston, Alex Wilson & William Cowie resign from C1872 Board

Not to take sides Gaffer but there's not much point in debate if one person is apparently acting unilaterally against the wishes of the majority.

It's all a bit bizarre and I'm unsure how the organisation can recover.

Can he be removed or at least blocked by the rest of the board? At least if they all stopped resigning?

Can he be removed or at least blocked by the rest of the board? At least if they all stopped resigning?

No idea mate - must admit, I don't pay too much attention though as it's all rather confusing.

There seems to be a lot of noise but not a lot of clarity.

He can. In fact any material issue can be resolved by the board convening and either taking the action themselves, or putting it to the membership. It seems that none of them are doing this for some reason. As I've said a few times, I don't know any of these personalities so I don't know what their skills and expertise is, but none of them appear to be able to use the governance in place. For that reason I would not expect any of them to be voted in again, but what are we replacing them with? If it's more of the same, what's the point? Let's just get them the support they need to develop the skills and then get behind them.

Club1872 needs a proper constitution in place to hopefully solve the many issues it has been having and to put proper structures and rules in place. It also needs people that are capable and able to actually behave like grown-ups and work together for the greater good. Much of the hassle has been around personalities, egos and people simply not getting along. I have no idea why a proper constitution is only now being drafted up and wasn't in place from the outset (merger was unnecessarily rushed).

It's frustrating that an organisation that is a major shareholder in the club and that has thousands of members is being run so amateurishly. It can work, and it can be terrific for our support, but it needs to improve significantly, and fast.

Club1872 needs a proper constitution in place to hopefully solve the many issues it has been having and to put proper structures and rules in place. It also needs people that are capable and able to actually behave like grown-ups and work together for the greater good. Much of the hassle has been around personalities, egos and people simply not getting along. I have no idea why a proper constitution is only now being drafted up and wasn't in place from the outset (merger was unnecessarily rushed).

It's frustrating that an organisation that is a major shareholder in the club and that has thousands of members is being run so amateurishly. It can work, and it can be terrific for our support, but it needs to improve significantly, and fast.

This was a point I raised at the time. I didn't feel that the reasons given were sufficient to justify the haste that was being taken. There was something vague about getting it done by the summer and in time for the new season, but I don't think some of those involved were particularly convinced by this. Sadly its come back to haunt us.

My worry is, and Gaffer makes the point also, that we go through another round of elections and don't resolve the inherent issues that will arise with any board in terms of its size, length of tenure, training and development and other areas. Sadly we're nearly through a full year of c1872 but I can't think of anything its accomplished. This along with the recent fallout will probably put off folk from getting involved.

If that's the case, hold a board meeting and discuss the issue. If it's true that one board member is acting unilaterally and won't change, the other members agree a motion to remove that board member and take it out to members to decide. This isn't difficult if they are grown up about it and use the proper governance. That's what it's there for. And if it's doesn't exist, the board members have the responsibility to create it. If they can't, they shouldn't be there, or at the very least they should seek help and guidance from those that can.

All of what you say is completely futile in the event that the Board member acting unilaterally ignores any and all actions by the remainder of the Board - and the issue is augmented when that Board member is also employed by the Club itself.

You talk about Board members sticking around and improving things from the inside - when they are being ignored by a single Board member who says he has the right to veto anything and everything then you, effectively, have only one option left - which is to resign. That way you at least bring it to the attention of the membership that all is not well. You can't forget that Blair was essentially refusing to even broadcast the latest two resignations.

All of what you say is completely futile in the event that the Board member acting unilaterally ignores any and all actions by the remainder of the Board - and the issue is augmented when that Board member is also employed by the Club itself.

Which is why I held the opinion that C1872 should have been kept totally separate from the club itself. Nobody with connections to Rangers FC should have been allowed onto the board of C1872. It is fans money that's going into the club . Yes, invite them along to answer questions or to listen to points of view. But keep them separate.

We seem now to have a position where a Rangers employee is in control of much of the fans money. That should never have been allowed to happen.

You talk about Board members sticking around and improving things from the inside - when they are being ignored by a single Board member who says he has the right to veto anything and everything then you, effectively, have only one option left - which is to resign. That way you at least bring it to the attention of the membership that all is not well. You can't forget that Blair was essentially refusing to even broadcast the latest two resignations.

Craig, it took them about 2 weeks to announce the previous resignations. My understanding is that he didn't refuse fresh elections and has evidence of this.

Which is why I held the opinion that C1872 should have been kept totally separate from the club itself. Nobody with connections to Rangers FC should have been allowed onto the board of C1872. It is fans money that's going into the club . Yes, invite them along to answer questions or to listen to points of view. But keep them separate.

We seem now to have a position where a Rangers employee is in control of much of the fans money. That should never have been allowed to happen.

Everyone knew about James's role with the Club yet he was voted on by the members. He said from day one that it was only for a year.

This was a point I raised at the time. I didn't feel that the reasons given were sufficient to justify the haste that was being taken. There was something vague about getting it done by the summer and in time for the new season, but I don't think some of those involved were particularly convinced by this. Sadly its come back to haunt us.

My worry is, and Gaffer makes the point also, that we go through another round of elections and don't resolve the inherent issues that will arise with any board in terms of its size, length of tenure, training and development and other areas. Sadly we're nearly through a full year of c1872 but I can't think of anything its accomplished. This along with the recent fallout will probably put off folk from getting involved.

The draft constitution is due out this month and hopefully that can provide rules and structures to prevent some of this from happening in the future. But next elections are crucial. We need a strong, qualified board that can actually co-operate and work together. I find it bizarre that in a org which has two main activities - buy shares and fund projects - there can be so much internal squabbling and disagreement.