Bluebear54's GPL 2017/18 Discussion Thread

Being able to change the FGS once the team is announced puts those in a different time zone at a disadvantage.

Everyone is able to pick a FGS before the team is announced, whether earlier that day, or the day before, but not everyone is able to do so once the team is announced. It's skewing the competition to the few, like yourself, who have the time and ability to hear the team and change their pick.

Having a cut-off prior to the team being announced puts everyone on a level playing field.

On the contrary as JFK explained he needs to get up very early as it is to watch most games; if he had to post an hour before KO he would need to be up even earlier or post the day before which is a being disadvantage.

It makes no sense to me to have a cut off before the team is announced; as typically there will be a fair number who select a FGS who isn't playing. This will be especially true if we have a whole bunch of new players that no one knows.

Just about everyone has some kind of device where they can get the team when it is announced about an hour before KO on BBC, Sky, Rangers etc whether they are at the match, at home, in a pub or on the other side of the world as I was doing in April. So your proposal would actually disadvantage the vast majority if not ac tally all players, for no reason.

I don't recall any outcry to change the rule away from KO time; so I see no reason to change.

So, let me get this straight. There's a polo shirt up for grabs for the winner, right?!? Does that mean that the winner of this polo shirt gets to walk around wearing something that advertises the fact that you've predicted Rangers to lose? Doesn't seem right to me. It might as well be green with white hoops. ;-)

It's a Prediction League, gaffer, not a love in.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Come on mate let's not make this something it is not. The winner wins a Polo shirt with Gersnet on the breast. The winner is not forced to wear it and doesn't need to accept it if he doesn't want it. We don't ask money for participating. We do not ask money for being on the forum. This prize is paid for by Admin who are ordinary working guy's. What happened to the saying "never look a gift horse in the mouth."

It appears my attempt at humour failed. I meant that anyone who wears the shirt this year is able to because they predicted Rangers would lose so many games. I'm not a comedian, clearly, so I'll avoid this type of remark in future. ;-)

And for the avoidance of any doubt, I'd love to win it and wear it with pride. But as I said, until Rangers win 3-0 more often, I have no chance.

Edited by Gaffer

On the contrary as JFK explained he needs to get up very early as it is to watch most games; if he had to post an hour before KO he would need to be up even earlier or post the day before which is a being disadvantage.

It makes no sense to me to have a cut off before the team is announced; as typically there will be a fair number who select a FGS who isn't playing. This will be especially true if we have a whole bunch of new players that no one knows.

Just about everyone has some kind of device where they can get the team when it is announced about an hour before KO on BBC, Sky, Rangers etc whether they are at the match, at home, in a pub or on the other side of the world as I was doing in April. So your proposal would actually disadvantage the vast majority if not ac tally all players, for no reason.

I don't recall any outcry to change the rule away from KO time; so I see no reason to change.

Why is posting the day before a disadvantage?

How many are actually in the position to stop what they are doing in the 45 minutes before kick-off and change their predictions? It's giving an unfair advantage to those few who are able to do it.

There seems to be done interest in the change in this thread so it's definitely worth exploring further.

How many actually do it? If there's very few then it's not an issue and it's giving the few an advantage.

Edited by Bluedell

Being able to change the FGS once the team is announced puts those in a different time zone at a disadvantage.

Everyone is able to pick a FGS before the team is announced, whether earlier that day, or the day before, but not everyone is able to do so once the team is announced. It's skewing the competition to the few, like yourself, who have the time and ability to hear the team and change their pick.

Having a cut-off prior to the team being announced puts everyone on a level playing field.

Agree, not only those in different time zones but those who travel the games and cannot get a signal, happened to me on a couple of occasions.

got to say none of this really shouts out "join in the fun".

The cut off stuff is getting a bit pedantic, next we start counting who see's the team play the most as that gives an advantage, or anyone who uses the bookies odds to narrow down selection shall they be stopped, etc etc. What if you ask a friend ,who's a coach at Ibrox, who was looking good in training that week and who is playing the central role and who's on the pens this week!!!!!!!!!! do I have to share that info?! Obviously i am exaggerating more than a little but its how this stuff reads to be honest.

Can everyone not just relax a little and take it as it comes?

Edited by trublusince1982